Logitech mouse button enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech mouse button enigma

I have now owned 2 MX510's and 1 MX518 within the span of a year. All 3 have broken, in exactly the same way. The right button stops working, hard to notice at first but when I am linking a node it temporarily cuts out. Within a day or 2, I can't link nodes and can hardly use any secondary fire at all. Yet for some reason right clicking works in menus, and I can hold the button down in such programs as Photoshop to paint, and not experience any such issues.

I don't think I am going to buy any more Logitechs, but I am so used to the ergonomics and button layout I doubt I could get used to a Razer or anything else.

There must be an explanation as to why this problem exists, specifically in UT only.. and why does it happen to me with every mouse I've bought, when I don't abuse it or mash on it or anything.. can something with voltages wear the electronics over time...?

Wash your hands.

Comment

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe it is wearing out, a little wobbly, or dirty maybe?
      Can't remember, I know I did have to fix one of the little switches on some mouse over the past couple of years.:bulb:
      If you contact Logitech, they would probably replace it free of charge.

Comment

I know this, the 2nd mx510 was a replacement I got from Logitech. I got the 518 from a store cause I wanted the increased dpi and made a gamble that it wouldn't have the same problem.. but it does.. I will probably get them to replace this one too, but I ain't spending anymore money on one. They didn't fix anything in the new mice... there is something wrong with their products and I really wish they would acknowledge it and do something about it. at least one other person in my clan has gone through at least 2 logitech mice this year.. when I talk to random people they often talk about how they just replaced their mice.. do people actually think it's normal to have to replace a gaming mouse after 3-4 months?

Comment

could it really be so simple as dirt, sounds kind of odd. I might have to look up how to open one of these things up, cause there are no visible screws on them.

Comment

I've never had that, I had my last 2 logitechs for 2 and 1 years. I got my newest like 4 months ago and no sign of what you mention. I'd say you got unlucky and got lemons, but I'm more inclined to say you're heavy handed. I know a guy who goes through mice every 4 months or so, no matter what kind they are. You may be the same type of person. Switching to another brand may not help.

Comment

Maybe ur just too rough?
              Treat it like it were a laydeeee

Gentle little flicks n clicks here n there, although i wouldnt recommend using ur tongue.... lol sry

Comment

I already told you I don't mishandle it. I've used many other mice and they lasted years.

Comment

I've had my 510 for almost 2 years now. Never clean it and I use the right button for "move forward" in all games (yeah I'm wierd). Never had an issue with it. I did have an IBM mouse before this one and the center button/mouse wheel broke. I use the center for alt-fire. I can push hard on those buttons too.

Comment

Ive had my perty little MX510 for like 2 years now, and still going strong.. 1 of the mouse skates fell off though lol. BTW, if the mouse gets dirt on the underside of the left and right clickers, it will cause problems.
                    On an old ball mouse I used to have, I played diablo 2 a whole lot a bunch of years ago, and got the same problem.. The 1 way not to solve the problem is to beat on it, and rip the part you push down on, off. They don't go on as easy with a pair of pliars, as they do when they come off.

Comment

Got same prob

well i had mx500 then ve changed to marble mouse (it s a trackball but logitech too) and f!!! i can t open context menu by rightclicking in UnrealEd sometimes if i click about 10 times repeatedly it appears for a middle of a sec, but i can t choose anthing and it disappears. but i m using maya where all buttons work fine and even in Ued i can click buttons and menus. The mad thing is that i can t add STARTPLAYER, i ve tryed ti do so for about 4 hours, feeling myself creep and dumbhead, i can t add any actor as well as choose 1 wall, instead of whole room. for me it seems that there s some problem with rendering engine in preview mode, but maybe just because of mouseware from logitech. i remember there was something about em_exec in other game or prog but not sure what it was. second is what i ll try to lok for an other mouse and ps/2 port coz i m using usb mouse. now got to log.
                      and myy problem was in few other threads so be happy to read it if this is ur solution.
                      http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=367730
                      http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=376150
                      http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=365718

Comment

I broke loads of MX mice and went to a Razer Diamondback, and i'll never go back. The mouse is amazing and I haven't had the slightest problem with it in almost a year now.

Comment

I'm also owning a MX518 and haven't had any problems yet, and I have it almost a year now. Al I can say is that it's a great mouse. Though I have had the same problem with a previous low budget Logitech mouse but this occured after years of hectic play.

Comment

keep in mind that cursive is an extremely "heavy handed" player.

if you're light with the touch, then you probably won't have nay problems with the newer logitechs. but if you're a bit harsh, then the alt. click seems to be more susceptible to pressure and breaking. it might be fixeable with some ghetto-rigging (ie glue) on the inside of the mouse, but asking for a replacement from logitech seems to work just as well.

Comment

yep i had a 310, 510 and now a 518, for me it's always the left clicker to go. They all lasted about 3-6 months before I started having some type of clicking problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X