Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demo Playback and Fraps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Demo Playback and Fraps

    When I'm playing UT2004 I have the fps pegged at 85 even, because of vsync. When I play back a demo, it barely goes to 50. What's the problem? It's making fraps record at like 20fps and everything's all slow and choppy.

    #2
    Originally posted by Hentai.inc
    When I'm playing UT2004 I have the fps pegged at 85 even, because of vsync. When I play back a demo, it barely goes to 50. What's the problem? It's making fraps record at like 20fps and everything's all slow and choppy.
    Check to see what settings for fps Fraps is on. You seriously should just use Dumpframes and VirtualDub if you want good results when recording however.

    Comment


      #3
      What's DumpFrames?

      Comment


        #4
        look at www.own-age.com and www.ninjagaz.com for some UT moviemaking tut's

        or use the searchfunction on this forum and look for dumpframes, because quality, encoding and playubackspeedwise its way superior to fraps.

        you probably have too high leveldetail on btw. fraps asks a LOT from your pc when your capturing (writes away a few gig in a few seconds basically) and that + rendering UT2k4 @ high detail is just too much to go highfps.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Echohawk
          Check to see what settings for fps Fraps is on. You seriously should just use Dumpframes and VirtualDub if you want good results when recording however.
          lies. I get great results with fraps even with high detail. you need a fast HD and reasonably fast computer. my vid card is a 5900XT, so it's nowhere near the latest either. also you can get sound, with dumpframes you would have to capture the audio seperately and sync it up manually.. pain in the ***.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Bersy
            with dumpframes you would have to capture the audio seperately and sync it up manually.. pain in the ***.
            pretty much basic virtualdub work which takes you 3 tries and you'll have the hang of it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Sphinx
              pretty much basic virtualdub work which takes you 3 tries and you'll have the hang of it.
              any tutorials about this?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Sphinx
                pretty much basic virtualdub work which takes you 3 tries and you'll have the hang of it.
                I know how to do it in virtualdub (psst, it would be even easier in vegas), doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of time to have to cap the audio seperately from the video. another thing that makes fraps superior is you don't have to create a lot of unnecessary video just to get the clips you want.. punching in and out with a hotkey is as easy as it gets.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Record at 640x480 Res, if you're not already. Dumpframes is great for an artsy movie, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of processing power. Fraps is fine for your average frag movie.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Bersy
                    I know how to do it in virtualdub (psst, it would be even easier in vegas), doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of time to have to cap the audio seperately from the video. another thing that makes fraps superior is you don't have to create a lot of unnecessary video just to get the clips you want.. punching in and out with a hotkey is as easy as it gets.
                    no offense but less work, easier programs and a less nice outcome dont make a program superior, just easier. Guess its what you want, convenience or endresult. But since a lot of ppl will watch UT movies, i'd go for their enjoyement over your own lazyness. And trust me, i know like no other.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Nobody said anything about less work. Less time wasted on one aspect, yes. My Fraps/Vegas videos turn out better quality than plenty of ones I've seen done in Virtualdub with dumpframes. It isn't just the program you use, it is the skill level of the person using it as well. And for me, I'd rather save some time by cutting out trivial tasks, thus enabling me to spend more time making the quality up to par. That's not lazy - it's smart.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I'm not making a frag movie, I just wanted to capture a few nice frags I made.
                        I got everything working now, it's lookin' good. Thanks for the help.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Bersy
                          Nobody said anything about less work. Less time wasted on one aspect, yes. My Fraps/Vegas videos turn out better quality than plenty of ones I've seen done in Virtualdub with dumpframes. It isn't just the program you use, it is the skill level of the person using it as well. And for me, I'd rather save some time by cutting out trivial tasks, thus enabling me to spend more time making the quality up to par. That's not lazy - it's smart.
                          Nobody said anything about appending a movie in virtualdub either, if you want a quality endresult i'd still recommend adobe premiere over vegas in a flash of a second. I talked about just synching audio with a clip recorded with dumpframes in virtualdub, to edit with premiere and/or after effects afterwards. Thats just 2 minutes of work, and gives you better quality, more fluent movement and better editabillity. I have made several UT movies with smiley (eventhough he did 90% of the editingwork since he's a god with that, that doesnt leave me retarded about it) and we used both dumpframes as fraps, and just trust me on this, after 7 full length movies you kinda found out what works best. And again, it feels weird that you tell me its about the skill-level of the person using it, which is quite an insult to me, and i try to let that statement come out as un-cocky as possible. But i know my stuff, would guess you would too.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                            Record at 640x480 Res, if you're not already. Dumpframes is great for an artsy movie, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of processing power. Fraps is fine for your average frag movie.

                            imho for a movie to show off your skills i would not recommend fraps, but if it's just an fun movie then i can say ok.... :bulb:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Sphinx
                              Nobody said anything about appending a movie in virtualdub either, if you want a quality endresult i'd still recommend adobe premiere over vegas in a flash of a second. I talked about just synching audio with a clip recorded with dumpframes in virtualdub, to edit with premiere and/or after effects afterwards. Thats just 2 minutes of work, and gives you better quality, more fluent movement and better editabillity. I have made several UT movies with smiley (eventhough he did 90% of the editingwork since he's a god with that, that doesnt leave me retarded about it) and we used both dumpframes as fraps, and just trust me on this, after 7 full length movies you kinda found out what works best. And again, it feels weird that you tell me its about the skill-level of the person using it, which is quite an insult to me, and i try to let that statement come out as un-cocky as possible. But i know my stuff, would guess you would too.

                              true

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X