The new AGP 7800 GS vid cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new AGP 7800 GS vid cards

For those of you who have not switched over to PCI Express yet like myself, NVIDIA just released a few weeks back a 7800 GS for us AGP users.

Lotta reviews on the 'Net, and the results are very good.
    I got the EVGA Super Clock one.
    It is the highest overclocked one you can get.

BFG and FXF make them too, but they are not as pumped up as the EVGA one.
    I got mine at the 'Egg, it came on Monday.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130272
    Also the 2nd one down from the top on EVGAs site.
    http://evga.com/articles/276.asp

Here are some tests I did with 3DMark 06.
    The first test is with my ATI 9600 Pro.
    You can see how bad my score is.

3DMark 06 test:
    »www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark06.shtml

2.4 C Intel CPU running stock, no overclock after a fresh format Feb. 5th 2006.

Normally I run this OC’d to 3.12 GHz with no problems, but for the tests I wanted to run it stock.
    2 GB of 1x1 GB sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM
    Seagate 160 GB SATA3 hard drive
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS

ATI 9600 Pro running 6.2 Catalyst drivers:

273 3D Marks
    SM2.0 score 128
    HDR/SM3.0 score N/A
    CPU score 516

System temps monitored via Asus AI Booster:
    Before test
    CPU 27 degrees
    System 34 degrees

After test
    CPU 38 degrees
    System 39 degrees
    Second test is with the new 7800 card, but running my 2.4c chip stock.
    Look how far the 3DMark score jumped up.

2741 3D Marks
    SM2.0 score 1376
    HDR/SM3.0 score 1338
    CPU score 525

Before test
    CPU degrees 27
    System degrees 36
    GPU temp (new, as NVIDIA lets you view it) 46

After test
    CPU degrees 34
    System degrees 40
    GPU temp 47
    The third test is with my CPU overclocked 30% via the Asus P4P800 BIOS to 3.12 GHz.
    The results went up in each catagory.

2976 3D Marks
    SM2.0 score 1393
    HDR/SM3.0 score 1351
    CPU score 680

Before test
    CPU degrees 27
    System degrees 33
    GPU temp (new, as NVIDIA lets you view it) 46

After test
    CPU degrees 40
    System degrees 41
    GPU temp 56

The difference having the CPU overclocked pays off with a just a little extra bit of heat.

Test difference
    3DMark score is 235 points higher
    SM2.0 score is 17 points higher
    SM3.0 score is 13 points higher
    CPU score is 155 points higher
    If you are looking to get more life out of your AGP based system, this is the card to get.
    It blows the ATI X850XT out of the water.

I was going to build a new AMD X2 4600 SLI system, but I am now going to hold out a little longer since AMD2 is just around the corner, and it will be using DDR2 RAM instaed of DDR PC3200 RAM.

Oh, I cranked everything to the max in UT 2004, and I am ruuuing it at 1680x1050 in game, and it runs as smooth as butter.
    My desktop also runs the same res since I run the Dell 2005 FPW LDC.
    http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp/laptop.jpg

The new CPU's from intel using the conroe cores are very likely beat the **** out of AM2, and please don't accuse be of being biased, I am a long time AMD owner and right now I have an opteron 165. I don't think buying any high end AGP card is worth it right now. more info on the new intel cpus:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...212234350.html

Comment

It certainly is worth buying a card like this if you had an older AGP card like I did.

This will let me run Fear, Doom 3, and many other games I have not been able to run.

Doom 3 I had to run in 640x480 mode, and I still got lousy frame rates.

My old card could not even run BF2 very well.
      This card will let it run smoothly.

Comment

Nice post, Glad you can enjoy your games now

Comment

The new CPU's from intel using the conroe cores are very likely beat the **** out of AM2
          Im not so sure. Socket M2 will allow for faster RAM speeds, coupled with the fact that AMD's dual core is just better than intel's. I think they won't catch up until the P5 generation 2 or watever they decide to call it.

Again Im not a Fan boy I just go for watever is best at a set price point. (which is where Intel should be competing i.e selling cheap)

Back on topic, Yes that looks like a nice card and I'm glad to see that AGP has not been totaly abandoned. Though I am going to wait for my next pc upgrade before replaceing my 6600GT.

Comment

heh, I've got an 5900 in my system that has trouble with some stuff that my old 4200 excelled at. I've been a bit nervous about buying another fx card since the 5900 was a dud. Are the 7800 gs' really that much better? (I've been out of the tech loop for years)

Comment

Well, consider that Intel already has those faster ram speeds (AMD is only just catching up in regards to DDR2) so it does seem likely that the conroe core CPU's will surpass anything AMD has.

They will probably be very expensive tho always been the drawback with Intel....

Comment

Originally posted by SeverinHeads
                Im not so sure. Socket M2 will allow for faster RAM speeds, coupled with the fact that AMD's dual core is just better than intel's. I think they won't catch up until the P5 generation 2 or watever they decide to call it.

Again Im not a Fan boy I just go for watever is best at a set price point. (which is where Intel should be competing i.e selling cheap)

Back on topic, Yes that looks like a nice card and I'm glad to see that AGP has not been totaly abandoned. Though I am going to wait for my next pc upgrade before replaceing my 6600GT.
                Dont get the 7800GT. Save your money and wait till you can build a new PC with PCIe and either AM2 or the upcoming intel CPUs. BTW, if you didnt read the aricle, the new cpus will now use 14 stage pipelines, current amd cpu's use 16 stage pipelines, and prescott uses 31 stage pipelines. The lower the better. it looks like amd is just adding ddr2 support for am2, and if thats true then I'm pretty sure intel already has it in the bag, because they already use ddr2, and as you can see, it currently dosnt make things much better for them. but that will all change with the next cpus from them. everybody go and believe what you want now, but its gonna come as a huge blow in the gut to all the amd fans when these cpus come out. I'm not just speaking out of my ***, ive read about the new architecture the cpus will use, and it looks simply amazing, but it is only on paper right now so there could be big differences.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe641
                  heh, I've got an 5900 in my system that has trouble with some stuff that my old 4200 excelled at. I've been a bit nervous about buying another fx card since the 5900 was a dud. Are the 7800 gs' really that much better? (I've been out of the tech loop for years)
                  Well, look at my tests above.
                  The numbers do not lie.

I have yet to reload BF2, Doom 3, HL2 & CS:S, but will this weekend.
                  I never had a problem with the two Valve games, but I could barely play Doom 3 and BF2.

You gotta have a 400 watt PSU though to run this card, as it requires its own molex connector from the PSU.
                  That is why I put in a 500 watt one a few weeks back.

Comment

The whole Geforce 5 line was ****. The Geforce 6 line, and up is something like twice as fast. The 7800GS AGP card that is posted seems to be a **** good card. I have a 6800GS extreme PCI-E (stock over clocked I think), and it's way better then my old 6600GT AGP which was over heating, and locking my comp 5 minutes into most any game.
                    This is how it came. I checked the fan always on thing.
                    [IMG]http://members.***.net/joseph0483/clockspeeds.jpg[/IMG]
                    It usually idles between this, and 45, depending on the temp in my room. Max temp I've seen it get to using Rivatuner is 69.
                    [IMG]http://members.***.net/joseph0483/42.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Oh noes, i almost wanted to buy a 6600GT-AGP

Well, i'm going to Hong kong this vacation (I'm from europe) if i buy that card in HK, will i be able to run it? Or does it has different powersupplies?

Comment

Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler
                        Well, consider that Intel already has those faster ram speeds (AMD is only just catching up in regards to DDR2) so it does seem likely that the conroe core CPU's will surpass anything AMD has.

They will probably be very expensive tho always been the drawback with Intel....
                        Quoted from the website:

Pricing of the parts is expected to be quite aggressive: $529, $315, $240 and $210, according to some sources.

Comment

I haven't ever had the need to OC video cards etc. before so I don't know a lot about that....but isn't 69C and *gasp* 125C a 'bit' high?

Harmless:
                          Well it will be interesting to see how close Intel/AMD compete in the future then

Comment

Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler
                            I haven't ever had the need to OC video cards etc. before so I don't know a lot about that....but isn't 69C and *gasp* 125C a 'bit' high?

Harmless:
                            Well it will be interesting to see how close Intel/AMD compete in the future then
                            69 on full load I meant.. 125 means that if it ever does get that hot, the card underclocks itself so it doesn't fry.
                            I loaded F.E.A.R. and played for 3 hours, then looked at Rivatuner, and the hottest it got was 69. If it was idle at 69, I would have sent it back.

Comment

I don't understand why people don't just cough up $80 for a new mobo.

Comment

Working...
                              X