large maps + radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

large maps + radar

This worked realy well in a couple games by Bungie way back. Two or three people could play on any map no matter how big the map was and still have fun. It changes the gameplay but still takes skill. The radar was like the one for invasion. I'm just wondering what people would think about it as a mutator for UT. Or has somebody done it? If people like the idea then I'll add it to the list of mutators for my hardcore mutator pack that I'll release with the hardcore mutator.

/me puts on anti flame jacket....
    RD

The mod alreadu exists....don't know if it's used much though.

Comment

Propably not. Most people get affraid as soon as they hear the word radar... LoL

Comment

Hmm what ? Radar ??? HAX !!!

Comment

Radar... harder to camp! I prefer without!

The brilliance of not knowing where the enemy is at one particular time adds to the gameplay; radars tend to spoil that.

Comment

The Team radar for ONS should have been a default feature.

Any other sort of radar team-only or all players, in non-vehicular gametypes is lame.

Comment

Originally posted by F@hr3nh3!T
              Radar... harder to camp! I prefer without!

The brilliance of not knowing where the enemy is at one particular time adds to the gameplay; radars tend to spoil that.
              How do you think it would spoil gameplay? In my experiences it's inhanced gameplay. I allso forgot to mention that the way the radar worked in Bungie's games is that you only show up if you move. So it doesn't prevent camping(I dont see how thats a good thing except for sniper arena).

Also you couldn't tell if a person was above or below you. So in effect you only got a general idea of where people were.

On a side note a team radar may be nice to help people work together better. Specialy on pubs.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                The Team radar for ONS should have been a default feature.

Any other sort of radar team-only or all players, in non-vehicular gametypes is lame.

team radar for ONS wouyld be worthless IMO. ONS maps like DRIA are already huge and knowing where your team mates are is pretty easy. If an enemy node is under attack on the litle map then you go there. If one of your nodes is under attack you go there and defend it. No point in addind something more to the HUD.

Comment

Have you tried the mutator properly in the context of a praccy/match.

I have (ages ago) and I found it to be useful. It's not needed, but it does add something.

It was useful not only because it showed teamates and their vehicles, but also your empty vehicles. The main advantage overall compared to no team-radar when I tested it was that it cut down on some TS communication/info-relaying. It gives you a better picture just by looking at the mini-map.

Comment

Tribes 2 had a sensor network you could expand on for most gametypes and it was teh pwn. ^_^ Don't think it would work to well in UT however, there are simply too many differences in the way the games are meant to be played respectively. :Z

Comment

ONSPlus optionally has a simple radar so when you go to map view (i.e. step on a node and telelport) it shows you what unused vehicles are available at your teams nodes which is great. No more teleporting around looking for a ride

Comment

What I would've liked (not mainly in ut2004, I had this idea before but I dont remember for which game). The radar would constantly show your ally - not your ennemy. Maybe other strategic option (your team's flag carrier, vehicle/empty vehicle in ONS etc..) but also : when an ennemy get hit by anything, it is showned in the radar - Until it comes out of range view or doesn't get hit for, say, 5 seconds. Its some kind of automatic teamwork - for lazy people :P

Comment

radar just isnt unreal. Unreal is about really fast gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                          X