No announcement yet.

Why do many players stick to TDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people keep mentioning invasion? First off, invasion = TDM+Radar+Reskinned Stupid Bots. Secondly, it's not a competitive gametype so of course most clans aren't going to play it. So, why would anyone laugh at a clan that plays only invasion? Because someone had the idea to start a clan that fights bots together... There's nothing "wrong" with it, it's just that it's not a competitive area. I mean, I could start a clan that just plays through the single player campaign and reports the goings on together and that would be laughed at as well :lol:

I personally prefer Onslaught to any other gametype (with VCTF as a close second), but right now I am a DMer because I feel that's the area where I can do the most learning right now for preparation for 2k7's release (because I play competitively). There is no really active area of ONS right now aside from public servers, which just don't mimic actual teamplay in a competitive situation.

I think the question everyone should ask in this thread in the first place is: Why the hell do people care if others choose to "only play TDM"? No one gives a flying **** if you only play ONS, CTF, VCTF, AS, or Invasion, so why the hell do you care of the TDMers only play TDM?

I don't think anyone outside of proproproproyouyouyou has anything against any gametype, they just like TDM, just like YOU like other gametypes.

Comment

I think some TDMers got turned off ONS for 2 reasons

1. the TDMer who has spent years developing their 'leet skillz' cant stand to get fragged. In ONS, sometimes you get yaself into a situation that you have no chance of surviving. Get caught by an open node by a tank and you have no chance! Whats more, the tank driver is probably on only their 3rd game of UT and so this really hurts mr. leet pro.

2.ONS just never worked too well at a competative level. Games were usually a race to get control of a map and the fastest team often won. This doesnt appeal to mr leet pro because he would believe that a game should be settled on fragging ability.

I kinda like both game types, but then im more into playing for a laff . But actually with some experience a good TDMer can excel at ONS, most vehicles can be taken out 99% of the time - the cicada is the only thing you can never reliably kill when piloted by a good player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza101
        I think some TDMers got turned off ONS for 2 reasons

1. the TDMer who has spent years developing their 'leet skillz' cant stand to get fragged. In ONS, sometimes you get yaself into a situation that you have no chance of surviving. Get caught at a node by a tank and you have no chance! Whats more, the tank driver is probably on their 3rd game of UT and so this really hurts mr. leet pro.

2.ONS just never worked too well at a competative level. Games were usually a race to get control of a map and the fastest team often won. This doesnt appeal to mr leet pro because he would believe that a game should be settled on fragging ability.

I kinda like both game types, but then im more into playing for a laff
        Why are you so full of prejudice about tdm players? Not nearly as much have an attitude like that as you imply. Dont downtalk people like that when it clearly shows you havent observed well enough to make a judgement. TDM-ers play tdm because they prefer it, not because they are/want to be mr leet or whatever.
        Also, if a tdm-er would mind getting fragged, why would he play tdm in the first place, where the OBJECTIVE is to frag, and not get fragged. Where in ONS it really doesnt matter at all if you live or die. Enough good TDM players do quite good in ctf on the side too, where again,your theory doesnt go.

I think a first person SHOOTER should indeed make the best fragger come out the best, if the fastest team would win it would be a racegame. I dislike ONS (while i love ctf) because of the huge maps, the vehicles, the overall objective of the game, and too much other reasons. This doesnt mean i have never played it (hell, even played ONS wars on CB) i just think it turns what used to be a fastpaced actionshooter, into a battlefield clone with futuristic weapons.

And TDM, for the nonstop action, the clear objectives, and the good balance between personal and teamplay skills will make me play it till the day i die. Where i will always keep some duel and ctf on the side for fun.
        (atm playing a bit of UT ctf and Q4 tdm, quite some q3 osp/threewave CTF and some 2v2 tdm, and mostly UT TDM)

Comment

Never tried TDM. Sounds fun.

But the question "Why do many players stick to TDM" is really dumb. Hmm.. because they like it maybe?

Comment

It was only a matter of time before someone misintepreted this thread into a "which gametype is better" debate. The dude asked why ppl play TDM. Don't read this as "why do ppl hate anything other than tdm". All the game types are fun. sheesh...

Comment

Why some ppls like meat and others dont ? Would be kinda same question.
              Just simple cause some like it and others dont ^^.

For me Iam playing UT maybe for 2 weeks and then have again 1-2 months of a break and if Iam starting again to play I just want some fast action so I choose always DM / TDM. More TDM cause I like the teamplay if Iam playing in net even if Iam just playing pub and not in a clan (but not CTF / ONS with a pub cause that can be very frustrating).

ONS was fun if I bought the game but got old after 2 weeks. DM / TDM is just about killing (at least on pub servers) and I love that .

ONS would be more fun to play with a clan, with a coordinated Team and not pub where all ppls doing what they want and dont listen, its the same problem like in World of Warcraft if u going to the BGs and play in pubs its not much fun. Same for CTF.

Well thats just me.

So in short: ONS / CTF I would play more with a Clan.
              TDM / DM more in pubs to have some fast action fun and dont care about any strategic things.

Comment

Working...
              X