Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-1on1-Squader-Remix

Hello,

For about the past 2 months, I've been remixing the map DM-1on1-Squader. The map always had an incredible layout for 1v1, but it needed to be improved for competitive 1v1 play. I've spent this time fixing the map to make it better for 1v1 and hopefully it is better. I have permission from the author to remix it and to take credit for the few changes made even though it is an Epic Stock map. It has been playtested quite a bit and I feel that it has a great flow and quick play.

For now, I only have it uploaded on Filefront, but I'm hoping to get it up on unreal.ie and nalicity very soon.

Changes (though NoTicket hit most of them):

-Moved Rocket Launcher near 50a
    -Put Lightning Gun where Rocket Launcher used to be
    -Rearranged Ammo in map
    -Moved Flak further down the hall
    -Deleted the extensive amounts of obstructing staticmeshes
    -Added in blocking volumes in certain areas of the map where you could get caught
    -Reduced Vial sections to 4 vials per section
    -Added a vial section near mini
    -Added dodge ramp next to 100a
    -Added dodge ramp near link gun
    -Lifts play with ambient sounds off
    -Removed Double Damage
    -Fixed many spawning issues
    -Changed the directory and power of the lift below the 50a so that it shoots you directly up to it.

Servers Currently Running the map:

Worlock's Servers
    Chicago: 66.225.194.172
    New York: 64.242.242.40

ClanLOB 1v1 Public
    64.237.35.117:7777

Download Links:

http://files.filefront.com/DM_1on1_S.../fileinfo.html

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=9028

http://www.unreal.ie/dl/maps/dm/DM-1...ader-Remix.zip

Enjoy, and feedback is welcome!

-icosis

I've been playtesting this for a few months, along with other guys from DoW and a few pure.gaming players, and this has become one of my favorite 1v1 maps. It seriously changes the flow of the original, so it might be a surprise for those who already know the map, but I think icosis has done a great job of turning this into a competition-ready map. Give it a whirl and let's try to get it on some ladders.

Comment

Nice to see a new map conversion floating around.

Comment

I've always thought it was a cool map. /me takes a look.

You should give us a changelog & screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by c9h13no3
          I've always thought it was a cool map. /me takes a look.

You should give us a changelog & screenshots.
          Seconded, but changelogs're more important than screenshots. (we know what it looks like, after all)

Comment

Definitely my favorite 1v1 map these days. Just so you guys know some of the changes Cataclysm made:

-A TON of static meshes were removed. You can actually walk through hallways without hitting all sorts of useless obstructions now!

-Reduced the number of health viles from 5 to 4 in each row.

-Added the Lightning gun to the room overlooking the 100a.

-Added a ramp to the Minigun side of the 100a.

-Added a ramp from the middle area from the flak hall to the point directly under the 50a.

-Changed the directory and power of the lift below the 50a so that it shoots you directly up to it.

-Moved rockets over to a corner by 50a.

-Moved the SR to the pit area next to the window on the 50a side of the map.

-Put a Bio Rifle in (it's basically straight ahead if you were standing at the flak cannon looking at a 90 degree angle from the 100a) [also: I'm not sure if this was actually in the original as I haven't played it since Cat started working on this]

-Reduced the wait time for lifts to activate

Basically this map has become one of the most smoothly flowing maps I've ever played. There are a HUGE amount of movement options available ranging from shield jumps to various wall dodges.

Also, it suits more than one play style. Before the focus was very heavily tilted towards the splash damage weapons due to the large number of obstructions and walls to hit with rockets in order to damage to your enemy. Now everything is nice and balanced. I've played through the map using flak, rockets and minigun pretty exclusively and found them equally effective along with the more hitscan heavy operation. Most of this is to due with the mixture of open areas and narrow/short corridors.

All in all this is my 3rd favorite dueling map after Ironic and Roughinery.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTicket
              -A TON of static meshes were removed. You can actually walk through hallways without hitting all sorts of useless obstructions now!
              ...sometimes also referred to as "cover".

Comment

Added changelog above and a list of servers known to be running my map. Thanks to Worlock from prounreal for putting this on his servers. Also, new link for download from nalicity is available

Comment

Forgive me for the double post, but the map is also hosted on Unreal.IE and it is running on clanLOB's public 1v1 server. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Cataclysm
                    Forgive me for the double post, but the map is also hosted on Unreal.IE and it is running on clanLOB's public 1v1 server. Thanks guys!
                    Use Edit next time.

Comment

I know, I just thought people might miss it if it wasn't bumped back up. :P

Comment

I find it a little sad how, in the name of gameplay, maps tend to get stripped off all visuals. You can make a map play good without reducing all walls to BSP you know.

Comment

Well, if you want visuals, play the original map. I did this for competitive 1v1, and the "visuals" got in the way. Nothing is more annoying than trying to run away from someone and getting stuck on every static mesh you pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                            I find it a little sad how, in the name of gameplay, maps tend to get stripped off all visuals. You can make a map play good without reducing all walls to BSP you know.
                            Definitely. But this is a revision of an already existing map, one of whose biggest problems was slow movement and limited flow, and removing the staticmeshes was a significant part of the improvement.

icosis will tell you that I whined at him for weeks about the reduced visuals, but I got used to it as the map got better and better to play. Now it honestly looks good to me. I'd like to think the textures could be snazzier and more varied if it were designed this way from the ground up, but imo this is a great success as a competitive remix of a stock map.

Comment

Originally posted by Cataclysm
                              Well, if you want visuals, play the original map. I did this for competitive 1v1, and the "visuals" got in the way. Nothing is more annoying than trying to run away from someone and getting stuck on every static mesh you pass.
                              By their very nature, visuals don't get in the way. They're just visuals. You're confusing bad static mesh usage with visuals, but you can make a map look good without the player getting stuck on things. Now I realise that this is just an amateur remake of an existing map with the sole goal of improving gameplay for serious play, but I think the "good looks = bad gameplay" movement really needs to halt.
                              As for your remark that I should play the original map... you remade it because the gameplay sucks, remember?

Comment

Working...
                              X