Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homemade mousepad for optical mouse... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade mousepad for optical mouse... how?

What are some good things to use as a mousepad? I just set up a secondary PC, and I got a cheap logitech optical mouse for it. I forgot the mousepad however, and it's all jumpy and messed up on the wood desk. Mabey I'm just used to my razer diamondback on my icemat, but yeah. what are some good things I can use to make a good mousepad? I don't feel like buying one.

a selfhealing cutting mat works nice, pick one up at a craft store.

Comment

Cardboard works. If not, shelf paper is pretty cheap.

Comment

Newspaper

I'm sure a cheap mouse pad would work fine.

Comment

whoa, what a coincidence.
          I just posted this on the BU forums:

---------------------------------
          I make mouse pads out of the cardboard in binder folders, wrapped in packaging tape.
          Makes them really smooth and it doesn't mess up the optical eye.

Talk about saving money!
          It's about a buck for a large binder (giving you two pieces of cardboard-two pads) and another 2-3 bucks for a roll of good packaging tape.

Those binder boards are stiff and have great texture for opticals too.

Oh yeah, I put some Teflon tape on my mouse feet too, just for that extra "zip".

Yep, it's ghetto, and if you don't like it you can get the fudge out.

Those glass or metal pads don't do me any good, the moisture build up from sweat, when I'm playing UT, messes up the optical eye, giving me blank read spots... and they cost, what? 30 - 40 dollars!!? no way
          (thinking about a plastic board, if I can find one big enough)
          -----------------------------------

also, wrapping it in packaging tape keeps it from wearing through, so it lasts a long time.

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill
          a selfhealing cutting mat works nice, pick one up at a craft store.
          yep those are f*cking awesome.
          just make sure theres some dense texture or pattern on it.

Comment

You don't really need much texture to make it work. It seems to have to do more with reflectivity than anything. We have these desks in the playtest room at work that have a lot of texture, but they're kind of shiny so optical mice just don't work on them. My pad at home has almost no texture but tracks perfectly because it isn't reflective. It is sort of a fake leather-like surface with no texture.

Comment

My MX510 works fine on a wood. Well it's painted and isn't excatly flat, has a pattern of some sort... <<

Comment

Just a thought

Not every mousepad has to be expensive to be good. I bought mine this mousepad at CrazyPC for just $19, and it's smooth as glass. There is a rougher-texture also available, but I bought the smooth since I also bought a Razer Diamondback LE Plasma mouse to go with it. It's 14" x 11", and in all my gaming practice I can honestly say that's really a bit bigger than most people would need. There are larger versions (also with smooth and rough textures) for just a few dollars more, but either one will most likely exceed your expectations. After even hours of gameplay, this mousepad hasn't once caused my mouse to stutter, left moisture from my hand, and the surface is minimally reflective. Should work great for just about anyone.

Comment

An optical mouse can see texture that you can't.

Comment

I use nothing but a wooden table.

It's smooth but it still got lot's of texture...gotta love wood

Comment

Originally posted by placebo 3.0
                      An optical mouse can see texture that you can't.
                      I use a 1600-dpi optical mouse, and I've never had a problem with this mousing surface...

This mouse can work on a CD. :weird:

Comment

Originally posted by Manzani
                        I use a 1600-dpi optical mouse, and I've never had a problem with this mousing surface...

This mouse can work on a CD. :weird:
                        I have that same mouse. There is a trick you can do to it to make it have a 1000Hz polling rate, which gives it a 1ms response time. The default is 125Hz, which is an 8ms response time. Here it is:
                        http://andrewbeacock.blogspot.com/20...ing-mouse.html
                        It also might work on other mice. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Comment

I use a sheet of 2mm thick aluminium with my MX510 - it was only a few quid and works really well indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nevets

I like wood for ease of use, but it grinds the feet off of my mouse. I'm currently using a fabric covered Scooby-Doo mouse pad, and it's working pretty well :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nevets

I just use the desktop at work. I hate having a mousepad, but a mousepad at home is a small price to pay for having a cool metal and glass desk.

Comment

Working...
                              X