Merely Curious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merely Curious...

A thought hit me a short while ago and I've been trying to figure it out for myself and, unsurprisely, have failed. Now I seek your wisdom.

In bot matches, I typically make everybody on a team the same race/class. In small online matches with purely my friends, we all know what each other look like and what team we're on. Out of such, I've been wondering if there is a way to play team games, both online and off, without team skins, seeing as it would add a lot of variety and wouldnt affect team indentification in the situations stated above. I've tried searching through ini for something related, but havent caught anything. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

You could just use DM and add up the scores at the end

Comment

I think I'll pass

Comment

Well, it would be quite simple for an experienced coder to make a mutator that does that. But unfortunately I barely know the basics of UScripting. I did try to learn it once, but without C/C++ background knowledge it can be tough to learn.

Comment

experienced coder
          Well, I'm gone.

Comment

I suggest the mods request forum, but 99% of the ideas there never see the daylight.

Comment

You could try using Utcomp and making both skins the same colour.

Comment

but then you have bright green guy versus some bright green guy. They're both so bright green you can't see the difference in the skin to tell team

Comment

Originally posted by Ickle
                  You could try using Utcomp and making both skins the same colour.

:haha: :haha: My aim would go through the floor if I did that and team damage were on. :bulb:

Comment

I had a feeling this was a futile attempt at figuring this out... ugh.

Comment

I've done some team gametype coding where I override model & skins, and disabled the teamskin color (since you can tell Skaarj from Hellion easy without colors, for example). Could probably rewire it for general teamskin disablage (disablage?).

Dicky B (Unreal Safari [follow sig link, downloads] gametype for an extreme example)

[edit: have to wait a while, though. going to work now]

Comment

Erm, lol?

I was just giving a sincere suggestion to make both teams be the same colour (but not disable colour althogether mind you).

:bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by lintan
                          You could just use DM and add up the scores at the end
                          I really don't see what's so wrong with this... This sort of match is only gonna get played privately anyway, so you don't need an official team score counter. Unless you have an issue with team damage DM would work fine

Comment

Point moot whether it's easier to do just a deathmatch or use UTComp or whatever. Mutator works.

Code:
                            //steal it, but credit Dicky B for something, K?
                            class mutNoTeamSkins extends Mutator;
                            function ModifyPlayer(Pawn Other)
                            {
                            local  xUtil.PlayerRecord PSR;
                                if(Other.IsA('xPawn'))
                                {
                                if (xPlayer(Other.Controller).PlayerReplicationInfo != None )
                                   {
                                   PSR = class'xUtil'.static.FindPlayerRecord(xPlayer(Other.Controller).PlayerReplicationInfo.CharacterName);
                                   xPawn(Other).Skins[0] = Material(DynamicLoadObject(PSR.BodySkinName, class'Material'));
                                   xPawn(Other).Skins[1] = Material(DynamicLoadObject(PSR.FaceSkinName, class'Material'));
                                   }
                                }
                            }
                            defaultproperties
                            {
                                 GroupName="NoTeamSkins"
                                 FriendlyName="No Teamskins"
                                 Description="Dicky B's No Team Skins mutator for AL777||Disables Team Skins"
                            }
                            Dicky B (Not much to it, was trying to do something more complicated than I had to, this was easier)

Comment

Originally posted by IGotARailgun
                              but then you have bright green guy versus some bright green guy. They're both so bright green you can't see the difference in the skin to tell team
                              That would make team games more interesting, even more interesting if you enable friendly fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X