Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New players vs. Masterful players gap, watered down...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New players vs. Masterful players gap, watered down...

    I got warned for my last post, (though it was really meant to be humorous more than offensive). I'd like to resubmit the topic.

    When you open the game and click "join game" then click "internet" to look for servers, you can sort the loading games by server name, map, players and ping. Maybe it would be helpful to also be able to sort these for proposed skill levels as well....

    And it's been said that you don't get better until you play someone better. Maybe so, but new players can learn the basics with other new players and HAVE FUN doing it. Then when they feel like they want a little more challange they can join servers of higher skill levels. And then if players rag on them for not doing well, the can either stick it out and get ragged on and grow, or they can stick with thier previous skill level for awhile longer.

    For example, You could rate the servers like belts in martial arts.... new players are white belts and the elites are black. I mean, that's pretty generic, but you get the picture.

    It's just an idea for EVERYONE to get some frags. If you are a beginner and you step into a server that is marked for the masterful or elite, then you should EXPECT not to know what hit you. On the other hand, if you consider yourself the best of the best, brag about your frags on servers that have players that make you earn those frags.

    #2
    People would own the noob servers to boost their ego.

    Comment


      #3
      Bad idea. It wouldn't work as advertised. See post by Fatmouse.

      Btw, Binkstir, this is not funny considering the topic is a bit inflammatory. Now please stop. Please?

      Comment


        #4
        I think it would be cool for players and servers to state what level they are, from Novice to Godlike, and players could basically mix and match. New players could go to Novice servers, etc. I realize that leaves alot to chance because any Godlike player could just walk in and clean up the joint, but I am sure able minds could work out a solution.

        Comment


          #5
          what if you are a good player but you don't necessarily want to go play on a server where you have to be "on", and you aren't going just to "pwn sum nubs", rather you just want to fart around... if they had something preventing good players from going into new player servers, you would be very limited in how you can play the game, ie, only with people of your "own kind", which is very dumb. what then if you want to help new players out, etc. the solution needs to be REALLY well thought out to work. not to say it is not possible to have some sort of matching system, I am sure it is. but if it was poorly implemented it would be disastrous.

          Comment


            #6
            We already have that feature in UT2k4, it's called Onslaught.

            ^ that's a really stupid reply, but I had to make it so less intelligent people couldn't use it

            Comment


              #7
              honestly i have played ut2k4 for over 300 hours

              and only know 2 adrenaline combos
              speed and health boost lol

              Comment


                #8
                I will admit that it sounds good in theory, but I am afraid it won't work outside of the lab.

                Comment


                  #9
                  you can only get better by playing with those that are better than you

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by «ßîc»$l@c|<er
                    you can only get better by playing with those that are better than you
                    So true. The problem is that most nubs don't have the ego or patience to learn. I can't tell you how many times new players log into the server, get owned for 5 or 6 frags in a row by regular players, and then immediately leave. Sad, but that's how it is.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      easy solution: use stats that aren't borked all the time. ie if you play against better players and get frags your stats are increased. but if you play against players far below your skill level, you're stats will have no where to go but down. this works for stats whores, and also for people who don't care at all about stats and just want to play a quick easy game.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by chimbaktu
                        easy solution: use stats that aren't borked all the time. ie if you play against better players and get frags your stats are increased. but if you play against players far below your skill level, you're stats will have no where to go but down. this works for stats whores, and also for people who don't care at all about stats and just want to play a quick easy game.
                        Not to rain on your parade, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. How would the stat system know if you are playing against a less-skilled opponent? Would it depend on you providing a self-chosen skill level? Seriously, if the stat tracking system didn't collect stats when you play a less than worthy opponent, how will it know your skill level?

                        Perhaps the only way to make this whole idea work is for the skill level indication to be a selectable setting each player ticks. I have seen other people post that a mandatory tutorial is needed to be completed prior to ticking any setting above "Novice". This is the only answer, because there is database in the world that is going to be able to accurately determine each players' capabilities and keep track of changes in those capabilities. The database writers and managers would need to build and test such a database over a long period of time to make it work. Which means you won't be getting it with UT2007.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by FatMouse
                          People would own the noob servers to boost their ego.
                          Yeah, and as such, I've noticed an increased amount of seasoned players on said "noob" servers, making the game much more enjoyable.

                          Sometimes we find ourselves staying around for longer than usual. :up:
                          (yet the less skilled players leave in droves)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Crotale
                            Not to rain on your parade, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. How would the stat system know if you are playing against a less-skilled opponent? Would it depend on you providing a self-chosen skill level? Seriously, if the stat tracking system didn't collect stats when you play a less than worthy opponent, how will it know your skill level?

                            Perhaps the only way to make this whole idea work is for the skill level indication to be a selectable setting each player ticks. I have seen other people post that a mandatory tutorial is needed to be completed prior to ticking any setting above "Novice". This is the only answer, because there is database in the world that is going to be able to accurately determine each players' capabilities and keep track of changes in those capabilities. The database writers and managers would need to build and test such a database over a long period of time to make it work. Which means you won't be getting it with UT2007.
                            calculate their skill avg off of how many games they have played/won? and factor in things like accuracy. Might help catch botters too if you can see someone's avg accuracy. :alien:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              How about if any given player gets more than 10 frags ahead of the next best player that started the match at the same time, be kicked. Surely it would not be that hard to program the game to recognize someone "cleaning house" on the novice servers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X