Does UT2004 benefit from HT technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does UT2004 benefit from HT technology?

I have a chance to swap my 2.66 P4 with a 2.4 with HT. If I'm going to get even a little boost I'll do it, but I don't want to go backwards. I won't be upgrading until 2k7, comes out so don't suggest AMD. I'm getting this one for free, I just want to be sure it's worth the change.

is the cpu your bottleneck?

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...05/page28.html

Comment

P4 2.4C isn't on there.

Frogger: I think so. I have a 6800 GT that can't be used to it's full potential. I'm upgrading the mobo too, going from a really old asus to the intel i865.

Ill be going from max 4 AGP to 8, not sure how much difference that will make though.

Comment

Re: Does UT2004 benefit from HT technology?

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
          I have a chance to swap my 2.66 P4 with a 2.4 with HT. If I'm going to get even a little boost I'll do it, but I don't want to go backwards. I won't be upgrading until 2k7, comes out so don't suggest AMD. I'm getting this one for free, I just want to be sure it's worth the change.
          No, HT won't help UT2k4 since it isn't multithreaded. It might help your system overall though if you have many processes running (and indirectly help UT2k4).

I doubt you'll see much benefit though.

Comment

Swapping your P4 2.66 for a P4 2.4 HT won't make that much difference.
            However, upgrading from 4x AGP to 8x AGP will make a significant difference, since your video card is 8x compatible.

Comment

I have a p4 3.06 H/T, and in some respects it helps.
              1.If you run a dedicated server from your PC.
              2. If you're playing, and a program starts to update itself in the background the load to the cpu is not felt during game play.
              There were many times I would be playing, and Norton updated itself without a hitch.
              I can only give you my recommendations from my personal experience. I like mine:up: :heart:

IMPORTANT! Make sure your BIOS has a setting to enable Hyperthreading!!

Comment

Thank you so much guys, I'm gonna go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                  Thank you so much guys, I'm gonna go for it.
                  Could you let us know if you do see any improvement?

Personally I think it will be the chipset that delivers any performance gains, rather than HT.

Indy

Comment

Originally posted by YbnORMAL?
                    However, upgrading from 4x AGP to 8x AGP will make a significant difference, since your video card is 8x compatible.
                    It won't make any difference at all. No video card currently being made can fully saturate an AGP 4x line, what makes you think 8x will be such a big difference? Also, get the P4 with HT and overclock it to 2.6 or whatever the one you have now is.

Comment

The overclocking thing could be a good idea. Back in the day I had a 2.4c running at 3.3. Pretty good little system. Although I'm doubting flak wants to get into overclocking too. It's just another thing to worry about. You'd have to get new fans/heatsinks etc. to do it right.

Also the 2.4c is on the Toms Hardware link- 5th one from the bottom.

On a side note...great link to the Toms Hardware thing. Good to see that my CPU is still in the top 10.

Comment

It would be very very easy to overclock a 2.4 P4 to 2.6 on stock cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank
                          It would be very very easy to overclock a 2.4 P4 to 2.6 on stock cooling.
                          That is true....

Comment

Originally posted by YbnORMAL?
                            Swapping your P4 2.66 for a P4 2.4 HT won't make that much difference.
                            yep- probably true

However, upgrading from 4x AGP to 8x AGP will make a significant difference, since your video card is 8x compatible. [/B]
                            OMG! - WORST RECOMENDATION/MISINFORMATION EVAR!!11

Comment

If I'm not mistaken AGP 4x or 8x doesn't make a
                              huge difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X