No announcement yet.

Newb question about netspeed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience higher netspeed will allways give better performance. As soon as I start to get stuttering I increase to 15000, and the game become smooth again. I can even tell from the match stats at what time I set higher netspeed.

Comment

funny, I get tearing when I turn VSync ON, not vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy
        funny, I get tearing when I turn VSync ON, not vice versa.
        That's just wrong...
        Is this UT or UT2k4? I know that in UT, there was an INI setting that read "bUseVSync", which actually meant "Use VSync Disabler". Now THAT's poor variable naming...

Comment

With VSync off it is recommended to turn triplebuffering on, to prevent tearing.

(or the other way round, sorry me tired... )

Comment

Originally posted by fftunes
            With VSync off it is recommended to turn triplebuffering on, to prevent tearing.

(or the other way round, sorry me tired... )
            Triple buffering does absolutely nothing with VSync off. (well, it may waste 3MB of vid memory, but the game probably has checks built in to prevent that from happening)
            With VSync on, it will double your max framerates (with double buffering your max FPS is half your refreshrate, with triple buffering the game can render a new frame for every refresh), but it's not related to tearing.

Comment

happens in 2k4. as soon as I enter the main menu screen I have a large tearing effect across the top of my screen.

in UT it does what it's supposed to do.. keeps my FPS down and my gamespeed normal :P

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha That article was written for UT, and even for UT there are some things I quite strongly question.
                Yes, but thats really the basic of the UT netcode, which is more or less the same in UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse
                  Yes, but thats really the basic of the UT netcode, which is more or less the same in UT2004.
                  Which doesn't mean there aren't several things in there that are simply not true for UT2k4, like the bit about the minigun dealing different damage depending on the server tickrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                    Which doesn't mean there aren't several things in there that are simply not true for UT2k4, like the bit about the minigun dealing different damage depending on the server tickrate.
                    Well... I never said it is completely the same for UT2004's netcode. =P

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                      It's there, you just don't see it because of your high refreshrate and the fact that tearing is barely visible on full-motion visuals anyway. (you most likely will see it if instead of UT2k4, you saw a white circle moving on a black background)
                      As I said, unless there is some sort of sync between screen refreshes and buffer flips, there WILL be tearing because there's no guarantee the new frame won't be done halfway through the screen refreshing process. (in fact, it's pretty much guaranteed the new frame is done during this process, because it's what your monitor is doing 99% of the time)
                      I have seen people say that LCD monitors are exempt from this because they update the entire screen at once.

I have no personal experience to confirm or deny that though.

Comment

Working...
                      X