X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itching to upgrade

Saw this today:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...charts-27.html

Right now I'm running a P4 2.66, GT6800, 1 gig of ram. I'll DEFINITELY be going to AMD for the 2k7 upgrade. I hope I can hold off, this will be the longest time I've gone without upgrading my computer since the late 80s lol. As soon as the demo is out I'm hitting NewEgg.com. Check out the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103558

whoa mama!

Pretty funny how Epic has been in control of my upgrades for the past 8 years LOL.

over a grand for that cpu atm.. Heh.. last upgrade you waited this long for was in the late 80s? How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase
      over a grand for that cpu atm.. Heh.. last upgrade you waited this long for was in the late 80s? How old are you?
      You dont ask a lady this question.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
        LOL. Anyway, For the minute, I think you should go for the San Diego AMD 64 3700+.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
          +1

Comment

best bang for the buck IMO is this baby..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103546

just had one delivered to my door and am now finishing up my upgrade ist since 2002.....

Comment

I´m sorry to "borrow your thread", but I really want to know if these are good upgrades:

AMD64 FX-57 ; 2000FSB ; 4800+ ; Socket 939 ; 2 Mb L2Cache
              256 Mb GDDR3 BFG Geforce 7800 GTX ; 480 Mhz Clock ; 1300 Mhz Memory

I can afford these parts, I came across the video card on CompUSA´s website, but it costs $600, can it be found cheaper? If not, $600 isn´t too expensive.

And mobos, is what I don´t know anything about other than you put the parts into the slots.

Comment

Re: Itching to upgrade

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                Itching to upgrade
                I had the same problem, but my doctor gave me a cream that cleared it right up.

Comment

Originally posted by [=UTVC=]
                  LOL. Anyway, For the minute, I think you should go for the San Diego AMD 64 3700+.
                  +1

That processor can be overclocked to FX-55 speeds easily!!

I went with an Abit board for my most recent upgrade. The AN8 Ultra. Do some research on their forums first, their boards are kinda picky with parts you pair them with. The boards dont like "Cheap Parts" like value memory, cheap power supplies etc.

Comment

i have an amd 3400 and radeon 9800 pro 128mb. i dont play any of the games that "require 256mb of video ram" like doom3 or half life 2, or q4, so for my needs this is plenty good. Looks like you just need a little bit better cpu for sure.

but as far as upgrading for ut2k7, i dont understand why people are trying to buy a computer for that right now. By the time that game comes out, which will probably spring of 2007 knowing how they are, any computer you buy now will suck by then. If the game is multi-threaded, then a dual-core cpu is basically a must. Single cpu will get its *** kicked by dual core with a multi threaded program. Graphics cards will probably come a long ways. Probably start having 512mb of video memory, and who knows, maybe they'll be dual core as well. They are starting to come out with these "hardware physics cards". By the time a computer gets a year and a half old, it not gonna be a powerhouse anymore compared to the new stuff on the market.

take a look at some of the screenshots of ut2k7, thats an awful lot of grahics for the average machine today, I know my computer wouldn't do 20 fps with the graphics cranked that high.

Comment

Well this is what I'm hoping to get ... or at least something similar...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~zoro/temp/possible_01.html

Comment

Flak your video to CPU ratio isn't very balanced. That 6800GT gives you some breathing room. You should be well into the 3ghz range with a vid card like that (intel platform).

Upgrading for you now wouldn't be all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive
                          Flak your video to CPU ratio isn't very balanced. That 6800GT gives you some breathing room. You should be well into the 3ghz range with a vid card like that (intel platform).

Upgrading for you now wouldn't be all that bad.
                          I know :\ But I just can't afford 2 upgrades. I'd rather wait and save and get what I want when the game comes out then have to deal with what I have if I get something cheaper now. I'll probably be upgrading the card then too.

Originally posted by Logy
                          I had the same problem, but my doctor gave me a cream that cleared it right up.
                          LOL.

Comment

I'm having the same problem as are many others I suspect. The dilema of upgrading now or waiting for UT2007. My last upgrade machine I had to sell to pay for driving lessons So now I want to wait before I upgrade again and see what UT2k7 needs for decent performance. I am now playing UT2k4 on a minimum spec machine with most of the graphics settings on low

The machine I sold was an AMDk7 - K8 upgrade, 3200 Barton, 1 Gig Ram, 160 gig SATA & 160 gig ATA, 128MB radeon 9250 SE, 2 x CD/DVD combi writers. Plenty Ample to make do running UT2k4 till UT2k7.

My current ram is only 256 and I am soley reliant on pager file / Virtual Mem, My cpu is an AMD 2200 and playing on it has severley impared my playing dramatically. I am gagging for a decent game but I don't want to shell out now and blow it for when UT2k7 is released. I'm even struggling to afford a new stick of RAM to shove in this dank little machine. lol. I'm even using a ball mouse and it sux

All this scrimping will all be worth the wait I suspect! may I appologise now to any people I have played with or am to play with in advance for my sucky performance. lol

Hope ya can hold out till 2k7 Flack!

Comment

Originally posted by Magwa
                              best bang for the buck IMO is this baby..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103546

just had one delivered to my door and am now finishing up my upgrade ist since 2002.....
                              Even though dual cores are not used in games yet. Windows and Linux love the extra power.

Comment

Working...
                              X