What takes more FPS in 2k4, AF or AA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What takes more FPS in 2k4, AF or AA?

This might seem like a :noob: question but I thought I'd ask some of you geekier dudes anyway: I'm trying to get higher frame rates on an older comp with an Athlon 2400+, 640MB, ATI 9800SE (4 pipes). The vid card is O/Ced as much as it can get w/o artifacts (409.5/321.75 in-game), and I've done all the system/OS/game tweaks. I've gone to 2AA w. Temporal Aliasing ON and 2x AF, and in-game settings are about as good as I can get them @ 1152 res. Yeah, I could go to 1024 res but .

I figured maybe turning off either AA or AF and leaving the other one on for best graphics with the least FPS hit.

Any ideas?

You can laugh now, but when 2k7 hits I am going for a MAJOR comp upgrade, then you can prepare to get pwned! :

AA is more demanding but turning it off is usually more noticable than turning off AF (especially on indoor maps).

Comment

Kinda what I figured - a catch 22.

Comment

Here's my advice: turn everything you can to maximum details with preferably 1280x1024x32bits. At this point, if you want more quality then start by using 4x AF. More than that at that resolution is not worth it considering the performance hit and probably some mouse lag.
        AA is not adviseable in UT2004, at least with my experience. If you want to then try 2-4x AA. It affects performance as with AF.
        Generaly UT2004 doesn't like AF nor AA no matter what people may tell you...

Comment

16X AF = 5 fps drop i keep on, makes range look better
          2x AA = 30 fps drop off, its not worth the price and the text looks funny
          at least on my comp

Comment

iirc, the temporal AA is a big cost. Turn that off and then maybe you can use some AA with too much of a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming
              iirc, the temporal AA is a big cost. Turn that off and then maybe you can use some AA with too much of a hit.
              Actually, Temporal AA is supposed to do the opposite:

"Temporal Antialiasing: A more recent setting for ATI graphics cards is Temporal Antialiasing, a setting which I don't cover in my guide above - so I'll cover it here...essentially it is a driver trick designed to give the effect of a higher level of Antialiasing, but with a lower performance hit. For example, if you enable Temporal Antialiasing and select 2x on the Antialiasing sample slider, during a game given the right conditions (high framerates) it will look almost exactly like 4x Antialiasing, but with the performance impact of only 2x Antialiasing..."

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_8.html

Comment

Any filtering that's temporal is time-based, so it must be caching frames which I think would mean some memory overhead and GPU overhead to compare the frames.

Some 3D AA is done by re-rendering multiple times so temperal AA would be faster, but is based on rendering frames ahead which means you might get a little visual lag an possible ghosting (EDIT: Apparently ATI combats ghosting by cutting off the averaging below 60hz making edges flicker instead).

Comment

I turned off AA/Temporal and gained 5-10 FPS average, depending on the map. Not much by some standards but when you're getting only 33-62 FPS it's a lot. Not noticeably worse on graphics, so it's a fair trade.

Comment

AA and AF is for pretty graphics that pretty much dont move.
                    gets rid of the jaggies...

but these things are more noticeable in the TV land of NTSC world,
                    where an angled straight line isnt a sharp line, but softedged out of focus
                    kinda.

With such high resolutions today, its about meaningless.

It really kills quality imaging, but its good for effect.

and yes it will kill some FPS as its more processing.

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you tried Softmodding using for example Rivatuner to unlock the remaining 4 pipes, will give you a real push in terms of performance - it's a 50/50 chance it will work with few/none artifacts, and if it's completely messed up, you can always remove the softmod.

Comment

Originally posted by .NiB.Gene^
                        Out of curiosity, have you tried Softmodding using for example Rivatuner to unlock the remaining 4 pipes, will give you a real push in terms of performance - it's a 50/50 chance it will work with few/none artifacts, and if it's completely messed up, you can always remove the softmod.
                        Oh hail yass...been there/done that when I first got the card, but alas I was one of the unlucky ones. :cry: That's why I bought the SE anyway, hoping I'd get 9800SE > 9800 8-pipe for free but it wasn't my turn to win that time.

It's still a decent card, and I put an Arctic Silencer and RAMsinks on it to squeeze out every MHz I could get. A 26% O/C on the core + an 11% O/C on the RAM from stock speeds, stable in-game on UT2k4, ain't too shabby. :up:

Thx for the suggestion tho.

Comment

Working...
                        X