*.:: How should I Overclock My Geforce4 MX440? ::.*

card name: Geforce4 MX440
    manufacturer: Nvidia
    video ram: 64mb
    card cooling: stock
    voltage: stock
    stock core/memory clock speeds: 270/400
    ==============================

how much over clock should i make my video card?
    previously i used GeForce2 MX 400.. everything was at stock settings and i was getting 128 Fps in UT99, but after reinstalling my window, im getting lower than 50 fps on GeForce2 MX 400.
    now i have installed Geforce4 MX440 and im having the same problem!

help me with what should i do next?

Buy a new vidcard dude.
    geforce mx is so useless. :bulb:

Comment

Download Rivatuner.

Set your MX to 150% on the core and 160% on the ram.

Watch it smoke.

Get a decent card.

Comment

There are some pretty decent players using that card....

No idea whether it'll overclock though. If you can afford to it would be better to buy something better. There are some pretty reasonable cards for not a lot of money about, as well as some awesome ones at very very silly high prices...

Comment

Originally posted by Piglet
          There are some pretty decent Space Invader players using that card....
          There, I fixed it.

The MX series cards are equiv. to an old GForce2.
          You would get better UT2004 performace from a Ti4200.

Comment

That card's not that bad. I used one for last gen games and it worked pretty well. It's good enough for most of the dm maps in UT2k4, ONS and AS would probably strain it too much.

When I had a MX420 I overclocked it using Coolbits A good starting speed for both gpu and ram is 30mhz over stock, then raise the speed in 10mhz increments, testing between each change.

Raise the gpu core until you get artifacts in 3dmark2001se
            which would be the appropriate benchmark utility for this card. After you start getting artifacts drop the core about 10-20mhz, then start raising your memory speed until the card locks up, then drop it about the same 10-20mhz. Those settings should work ok, if you have problems in game you may need to drop the values more.

Also, I'm assuming you don't have much money to spend (hence using the mx440) you can try cooling the heatsinks using a scavanged fan from an old cpu or something. This may allow you to get a higher overclock although I haven't tried it myself.

Comment

from stock 270/400 i hav oc it to 295/500 using coolbits, but there is only 5fps-10fps change... lol

before when i used G2 MX400 i was getting 128fps in UT99 but now below 60fps... hmmmm thx for yours help all, but i want to max my GPU... abt the fan i hav an old power supply fan, i'll adjust it the on GPU

Comment

OK.. In all seriousness, I'll give you a tip most other people don't know about those particular cards.. but I had one very similar about 2 years ago and I tweaked it to get as much performance as possible by doing the following:

1. go find the Nvidia 40.72 WHQL driver. Uninstall your current driver, install this one. Any recent drivers are NOT made for your card, despite what the Nvidia website might tell you. Using this driver, if you don't already, will make a much bigger difference than solely overclocking your card. But feel free to do so anyway in moderation, for an additional boost.

2. open the driver properties and set it for Performance, turning off any unnecessary settings such as AA and AF.

3. For UT99, use the 3rd party OpenGL driver which is available if you search on the net. use lowest detail.

4. For UT2004 turn all details down, uncheck stuff like trilinear filtering, shadows, foliage etc. Yea I know, it'll look like ****, but it'll play much better. A res of 1024x768 should be the maximum you use.

Comment

I use that card :heart:

Comment

Originally posted by Lert
                    Download Rivatuner.

Set your MX to 150% on the core and 160% on the ram.

Watch it smoke.

Get a decent card.
                    i agree, if you dont want to splash out, a cheap 30 quid 6200 would still be leaps and bounds better than any of that.

(oh, and on my mx4000 i did manage about 50% increase on both, didnt dare try any harder)

Comment

i hav downloaded 3DMark2001-SE... but how 2 use it?? what are de Artifacts?? i cant see any lol...

Comment

Hello? Are you listening? Seriously, download the 40.72 driver. If you use a new one you are just wasting whatever little potential your card has.

Comment

Yar, get a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by BadGuy
                            i hav downloaded 3DMark2001-SE... but how 2 use it?? what are de Artifacts?? i cant see any lol...

... Ok .. So .. You don't know what artifacts are .. And you can't figure out how to run 3DMark2001-SE without our help .. And you seriously want to fudge around with your hardware speed settings ?

No.

Dude .. No.

Don't.

*Lert senses a smoking card coming up*

Comment

Originally posted by Lert
                              ... Ok .. So .. You don't know what artifacts are .. And you can't figure out how to run 3DMark2001-SE without our help .. And you seriously want to fudge around with your hardware speed settings ?

No.

Dude .. No.

Don't.

*Lert senses a smoking card coming up*

I'm with Lert here, but if your serious you install 3DMark2001-SE with its installer package, run the program hit the benchmark button and let it do its thing. At the end you get a score, you want to get that score as high as possible by overclocking your card. Artifacts are flashes of white light, triangles, and other things that shouldn't be on the display. If you see these you need to back off on your gpu speed, until you don't see them anymore.

Even if it passes 3dmark without artifacts that doesn't mean it'll be ok for long term gaming. You need to keep an eye out for problems until you're sure the card is stable.

After you're happy with the gpu speed you start raising the memory speed. If the card locks up or you get a gpf, you've gone too far, back off on the memory speed.

Really though, I'd do some more reading on computer hardware and overclocking so you don't fry a card that you can't afford to replace. Try this site overclockers.com Lots of useful information there.

Comment

Working...
                              X