Is it the time now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the time now?

To finally remove UT2004 from my PC? Honestly, I can't play this game online anymore and I'll try to explain why.

Right now, Saturday afternoon, I decided to play a bit of instagibs online so I checked the server's list as usual (default without passworded servers). Due to the lack of local server (only 3 or 4, none of them with gibs and the way my ISP routes my connection to Europe all I can see with a decent ping are dutch and german servers. There are some in UK and other countries but very rare. I start looking for gibs servers to pass some time but I face myself with empty servers. After a while I get one or two with people playing. So I join and what do I see? Some phocked mutator ruinning the playability. So much crappy LGI 135% with special weapons that do nothing but increase my already "not so low" ping. All this against local players with sub 50 pings.
    Ok then, DM servers are almost all empty, even normal weapons ones (but i don't like it anyway). ONS is good for... well... nothing at all. For such spam I may aswell play NW, thanks. CTF is the same altough I usually go for the iCTF tab right away. Empty or LGI 135% with Barn, Barn, Barn in all possible variations. I've never seen so much spawn killing. However if I lag (because many of them consider lag above 50 ping) and I hit a few guys then I'm cheating or something.

My last resort used to be playing Invasion. Always fun and people were nice because they were either young kids or older dudes. Nowadays they ping very high. Still playable though. But... RPG, RPG, RPG??? There aren't any normal servers anymore? And now even people there start laming about who scores more then the other? WTF???

To put it simple, what happened to old UT gaming? Well, at least in Europe. Forget about the so called competitive community. Never liked it and never will like elitism in any form. It seems to play this thing nowadays I have to register or enter or something like that a phucking clan.

Am I demanding too much? Maybe I'm getting old...:sour:
    Lately I play more offline than online. I'm considering other online games but i can't find one worth to waste money and time. Heck, I even tried CS:S:bulb:

The topic is open for opinnions and the usual "STFU noob, I'm 1337" and "I have millions of servers on my list, yours must be broken". Here, take a look: » Local servers «

I would like to hear (ok, "read") comments from people that felt the same before and what they did to overcome this feeling. I'm also bored so what a heck...

what is this "gibs" you speak of? is that some mutator or something?

Comment

:bulb:
      Short for "instagibs"...

Comment

Yes, please uninstall. You don't deserve UT.

I KID I KID!

Comment

No, it's not time to uninstall, when you're dead is the time to uninstall, and even then you don't need to worry about it since you're dead - easy.

If you're so hot on *normal* insta, why not hire a cheap server, or build a second machine to be your own server?
          Uusally, people aren't all that unique - if you don't like all the ker-azy IG mutators, then chances are that others feel the same. Perhaps they're only playing on these weird servers because it's the only choice in town?

Set up your own server, if needs be trog around the local (to you) forums & see if you can get a group that won't mind each person paying pocket-money change each month, that added together will afford you a basic server to play on.

If you really still like the game, & it's only the lack of servers that's bothering you, then these things are all fixable.
          I couldn't say how popular the game is in Portugal, but surely there's enough folks there that like you, enjoy Insta sans-craziness.
          All you need to do is find, & then organise them.

Comment

I really don't understand at all your reply Flak. Actually I thought you were one of the few still worth paying attention to in this forum. Not because I know you or played with you (I didn't) but for the maturity of your posts and/or replies. Now this... weird.
            Please explain why I don't deserve UT.

BigJim, I'm an average player with good aim. I like to play with aim (go figure) instead of timing items, knowning the map, etc. That's why I only play instagibs but I'm just average, nothing special. I'm playing a bit NW offline but it's weird. I'm not very used to it so I can only play well on Skilled setting (better than nothing, lol). I win it easly but the next step, Adept, is way to different, at least for me.

Anyway, check the link I posted before. This game is dead in Portugal and the only ones that still play it are clanners with "special hidden" servers. No normal player has access to them. Also take in consideration that portuguese pro players are the most lame there can be. They are even worse than dutch and probably finish (no offense, just the ones I knew).
            The thing most people play here are games like CS:S and similar.

If I setup my own server nobody will join, specially with my 192 kbps upload. There was a test server a few months ago where I had less than 30 ping. Heck, that thing was like a LAN to me but as usual nobody showed up so they had to close it.
            Let's just say my current financial situation is not very good to rent an empty server.

I guess I'll wait for a better game soon.

Comment

If I'm looking correct at the webpage you gave it means
              you are from Portugal?If so,I encountered it as a Dutch
              player playing Portuguese clans.Playing on a Dutch server
              makes it way unfair.I must admit that most servers are
              running mutators I don't like either like you....
              BigJim has a poitn with trying to create another server
              without all those wacky mutators.ANd btw,clans aren't that
              retarded as you think.Just try to find a nice,friendly clan to
              play along in your own country!

Comment

The threadstarter is right,there aren't much public srvers left (whit players).It's been a long time since i played ctf nw just because there are no servers.Only insta ctf has one or two populated servers sometimes and one of them is always a demoserver or only faceclassic.

Comment

Right now UT2004 is installed on my PC, but it is just collecting dust. Ever since I got F.E.A.R. I have been hooked, I beat the single player, and now I spend my time on the multiplayer. I really love the matrix lobby type special effects, realistic ragdoll physics, realistic realtime lighting, normal maps, and realistic weapon damage. Its really sweet and I am really looking foward to UT2007 however, from the screenshots it looks even more realistic that FEAR.

Comment

Originally posted by A.R.T.
                    It's been a long time since i played ctf nw just because there are no servers.
                    Ah- yup. I kinda fell off the UT2k4 wagon a few weeks ago for that very reason.

Comment

You go to play a nice tactical civil game of ons these days and all you can find are Torlan and Primeval Any of the good levels / maps are too high ping :| Not to say that Torlan and Primeval arnt good levels the first 2,000 times you play them lol Just gonna have to look harder I guess :|

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                        Who are you and why did you haxx0r Flakkies account.

Comment

ut2004's customizablilty becames its death...

Comment

Originally posted by [NBS]Flak
                            Holy christ, I hope you're being sarcastic, Flak.

This is the kind of thing (elitism) that made me drift away from the game.

Comment

hahahhaahah lol @ everybody seeing flakkie post like shes never posted like that before.

Comment

Working...
                              X