No announcement yet.

Large DM/TAM Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, it wouldnt necessarily have to move, but what if it could be turned on and off based on what area is being blocked?

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
      Hmm... I think they'd work very well gameplay-wise, but I'm not sure if the UE2 can handle moving one-way collision hulls. I know the game's really picky about stationary ones and they aren't even officially supported, so...
      How about some kind of Indiana Jones style huge rolling stone ball, or falling roof with spikes type mover instead?

*random thought*
      Can a damage volume be attatched to a mover?
      I *think* I remeber reading someone who wanted to attatch a physics volume to a mover & the difficulties invlolved, but I can't remember for sure..

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim
        How about some kind of Indiana Jones style huge rolling stone ball, or falling roof with spikes type mover instead?
        Why bother? IMO any closing of areas that involves killing the players in it is a bad idea. Not to mention making something like that foolproof would be awful.

Originally posted by neogeo0823
        well, it wouldnt necessarily have to move, but what if it could be turned on and off based on what area is being blocked?
        Actually I think that would be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
          Why bother?
          Just trying to think of a method that would be simpler to produce, & more visually obvoius to the players, during say, a particularly hectic round of DM, & might add a nice theme to the map.

If as you say (and I have no reason to disbelive you) it's hard to reproduce some of the methods mentioned in the thread, then I'd have thought going for a simpler option would work better all round, & you can't get much more simple than a basic mover, going from point A to point B.

Comment

you can't get much more simple than a basic mover, going from point A to point B.
            what he said... but i still think this should be outer walls of outer rooms...

Comment

well, yeah, but the whole point of the map is to make it smaller so that the players can find each other when they die. if you go about making a damaging volume that kills people, then if someone is in the outermost room, they die as the walls come crashing down on them. then, because they have died, the guy inside the room thats just inword of that will die when his room collapses and so on and so forth. get what im saying?

you cant make a damaging volume to kill players because then everyone would either have to crowd in the center of the map and shieldgun each other or the whole thing would collapse like a set of dominoes after the first kill.

what were looking for is something that doesnt damage people as the map closes off. this is why i suggested my moving(or rather, on/off switching) blocking volumes that dont hurt anyone. if your looking to try to make a blocking volume that damages people (im assuming like a wall with spikes or something) for your own personal map, then thats fine. i think theres a setting in the object property window that makes a surface damaging, though i cant quite remember it right now. youll have to poke around.

what we seem to need is a mod that surrounds the map with an invisible blocking volume that, as people are killed, shrinks to close off the map. the only problem would be trying not to kill people that might get stuck in random corners as the volume shrinks. if theres a way to counter or disable that, then we might be in bussiness. what we need here is angel mapper.

Comment

Fair enough, & now you mention it, it would be pretty catastrophic if the map itself killed one of the players, & then as it shrunk proceeded to kill all the players off, one at a time..

Would be pretty funny though.. *snigger*

The damage vol question was a bit of a sideline though, my main point was that imo, it would work better if the blocking object is something physical that the player can see, like a wall, gate, laser fence, or whatever.
                It might get pretty frustrating if all you want is that tasty powerup or weapon, & there's this invisible wall blocking the way.

Making it something that's obvously solid would have the dual effect of compressing the floorplan as you wanted, and would also re-enforce your visual theme (whatever you decide it may be).

I reckon you could go a long way with map design, basically building the outlying areas of the so that the player(s) will get squeezed into the central areas.
                I think trying to code an all-powerful mutator that automatically closes off the map sections would fail, simply because the maps are all different.

Imho if you wanted this type of gameplay on several maps, you'd be better off building it from scratch for each one, and possibly even using different techniques on each map (be it b-volume, mover, etc..), depending on the unique layout of that particular map.

Comment

Fair enough, & now you mention it, it would be pretty catastrophic if the map itself killed one of the players, & then as it shrunk proceeded to kill all the players off, one at a time..

Would be pretty funny though.. *snigger*
                  i suppose that a map like that would be an interesting gimmick...

maybe some kind of "hypercube" or "thirteen ghosts" type of map

The damage vol question was a bit of a sideline though, my main point was that imo, it would work better if the blocking object is something physical that the player can see, like a wall, gate, laser fence, or whatever.
                  It might get pretty frustrating if all you want is that tasty powerup or weapon, & there's this invisible wall blocking the way.
                  yeah, in my first or second post, i said that it would have to look like a forcefield or something to make sure people knew what was going on.
                  I think trying to code an all-powerful mutator that automatically closes off the map sections would fail, simply because the maps are all different.
                  yeah, but it wouldve been cool to see it

Comment

Working...
                  X