Large DM/TAM Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large DM/TAM Maps

Last night UIE stuck the maxplayers on one of our servers to 32 (in TAM) and I spammed a few channels on quakenet about it.
    Minutes later, 26 players are running around DM-goliath getting _minced_ from all sides

GREAT fun - one of the best games I've played in a very, very long time, but I was wondering if there are any large DM maps that are out there that could better suit this type of environment?

I don't play much DM, and the only TAM I play is on the UIE servers with stock maps (well, plus a few common ones - CampGrounds (G1E ftw ) to name only one) - so I wouldn't know any of them offhand. Whereas with AS/ONS I pub alot so I'd see quite a few custom ones there.

Short of opening Ued and just hitting "subtract" ( )- know of anything?

I dont think those kind of maps will work. When it starts its all fun but when it becomes 3vs1 or even 1on1 near the end of the round you just keep on searching for eachother.
    I think 5vs5 is max tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by IC|Deadhead
      I dont think those kind of maps will work. When it starts its all fun but when it becomes 3vs1 or even 1on1 near the end of the round you just keep on searching for eachother.
      I think 5vs5 is max tbh.
      That's very true - and I have thought about it already. But what I had in mind was simply stopping the "awh **** it I'm out in 3 seconds again!" cycle that seemed to catch me every single round

I was thinking more along the lines of a very plain-layout, open map. Rather than a complex, interconnecting maze of tunnels. It would help to alleviate that problem, but it would be a haven for hitscan :/

Comment

Originally posted by zoro
        I was thinking more along the lines of a very plain-layout, open map. Rather than a complex, interconnecting maze of tunnels. It would help to alleviate that problem, but it would be a haven for hitscan :/
        Yes, hitscan whores will have the time of their life. Try imaginating doubling the size of a good 4vs4 TAM map like Goose2k4. This map isnt hitscan dominated. When you double its size it shouldnt be too crowded but the end of the round would be silly.

But I looked around and I think DM-Blackhawk might work. Or maybe convert little ONS maps to DM maps?
        It might be too hitscan dominated tho.

Comment

That's the two problems firmly nailed on the head.

1. Make it big and the hitscan whores will dominate and it'll be boring
          2. Make it big and at the end of the game one player will run off and hide with booster and it'll be boring hide-and-seek

Comment

I like 16vs16 tam. The more people, the more fun.

And i disagree completely with:
            That's the two problems firmly nailed on the head.
            1. Make it big and the hitscan whores will dominate and it'll be boring
            2. Make it big and at the end of the game one player will run off and hide with booster and it'll be boring hide-and-seek

1. Hitscan dominates in every gametype. And it wont be any more dominating with more people.
            2. I never didnt found anyone in which map soever who was hiding. Just know the map, how big it may be. If he hears you comin, he can move, but you will hear him moving to...that point combat will be inevitable... .

To answer your question:
            Some invasion maps are quite big and suited for this. for example DM-holdthecamp would be a great 32 player tam map. The center has bunkers and is surrounded by a wall. You got a cool little patwhay beneath the ground with boxes. The walls prevent crossmap hitscan. And the map isnt to big at all to find other people in it for those who have difficulties with it... .

Comment

I can't imagine how TAM could be fun with 32 people....it works with ONS, but TAM? :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by A_Spec
                I can't imagine how TAM could be fun with 32 people....it works with ONS, but TAM? :bulb:
                It was just to see what it would be like.
                And tbh - it was ridiculously good fun

Comment

I know of several Sniper maps that could hold 32 players. There are even several ONS maps converted for Sniper DM play that might do the job.

Can't imagine it working for TAM though...

edit: Some giant-sized maps should work too

Comment

Originally posted by mr bubble
                    1. Hitscan dominates in every gametype. And it wont be any more dominating with more people.
                    It won't be more dominating with more people (in fact in a small map more people will make it LESS dominating because you can't keep distance and need to do damage fast to stay alive) but it WILL be more dominating in more open maps.
                    And about hitscan dominating all gametypes... not true. In TAM I often get more damage dealt with the rocketlauncher than with the LG, especially on maps like Campgrounds and Rankin.

Comment

Oh my most damage always is made with lg in every gametype, maybe i just like the lg

Comment

Originally posted by NotoriousBIC
                        I know of several Sniper maps that could hold 32 players.
                        My thoughts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mr bubble
                          Oh my most damage always is made with lg in every gametype, maybe i just like the lg
                          Well, it depends on how aggressive you play of course. I find it's usually quite effective to just charge your opponents like mad... make sure there's at most 2 of 'm of course and they can't go too far away without breaking LOS. This works in smaller maps but it becomes quite impossible in large open maps.

Also what I said about more damage with RL than with LG was a bit of a lie... it IS true that I usually deal more damage with RL+flak+shockcombos than with shockpri+minigun+LG though.

Comment

well, coll me a noob for asking this, but what does TAM stand for? ive heard it many times, but never what it stood for:noob:

anyway, my two cents on this issue:

there are two kinds of maps, IMO. open, and closed. open maps are maps that have, you guessed it, wide open spaces, such as caverns, fields, canyons, etc. where theres LOTS of room to move. a closed map is one that has many, many little places to hide and to break your LOS with the enemy. a good example of an open map would be any mini-me map because its a miniature of a room and is generally very huge. a good example of a closed map would be something like almost any of the 1v1 maps out there.

this is not to say that open maps are huge and closed maps are small. for example, a nice, big, closed map (well, i consider it closed) is as-junkyard. its got lots of room to move, but at the same time, the giant walls of junk, the twists and turns of the layout, etc. make it a pretty good map to avoid getting sniped all day long.

basically, what im trying to say, is if your going for a huge map to play 32 DM in, make sure its a closed map, with only a few good sniper points and lots of LOS choppers. otherwise, its gonna be one huge spam/hitscan fest and no one will like it. if you get to the point in the map where your kicking *** with the flak cannon (like i often do in as-junkyard) then you know its a good one.

Comment

TAM == Team Arena Master.

It's a round based game - so if it've 5v5:

Red team kills 2 Blue team.
                              It's now 5v3

Red team kills 2 more Blue team
                              It's now 5v1

Blue man kills 4 Red team
                              It's now 1v1

Blue man kills last Red man
                              Blue man gets a DARRRRK HORRRRRSE

0-1 to Blue, and it's 5v5 again.