This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairness

Being a rookie I may not reach many, but I have to put this on record.

:downcast: If you log into a server with a ping half that of your opponents, you're padding your stats: STOP. (If I log in at double, that's my issue, and I'm fair fraggage)

:downcast: If you're using an enhanced character on a server that isn't set up to boot you: STOP (If the server allows enhanced, feel free)

:downcast: Last, but not least, if you can't accept defeat, you don't deserve victory.

Here's to Unreal getting a taste of REAL.

i agree with you buddy ping rape is the number one offender in bad taste in my book BUT!! people can not pick and choose their connections....mabye they have friends on that server they play with......no matter what i do i can not get much lower than a 100 ping on any server it is where i live and it is just tough luck...but i agree with you it is not ownage to rape some guy with a ping double yours ....

Comment

What's an "enhanced character"?

Comment

Re: Fairness

So, if I spent $60 a month on my connection and get great pings, I should leave and find a laggy server. :alien::up:

Comment

Stats have no omportance to me. If someone getting ping raped thinks it'll ruin their stats, they can leave if they want. I'm always going to join a server with as low a ping as possible if there's a game available. (Now for competetive games I like to have as even a server as possible)

I'm not sure at all what you mean by 'enhanced character' but I suppose you could be implying those that cheat by means of aimbots, speed hacks, etc etc. If that's the case, then I agree with your second point.

The last point is simply down to personal attitude. Some people can't take defeat graciously, and some can. There's no real paradigm for who will or won't take it well, so there's not much anyone can do about it except ignore it.

Comment

The ping issue is very, very old but always a fact. Some ping low some ping high. The person with the lowest ping will always have a huge advantage over the other guy unless he sucks, of course.
            Nowadays I get 80+ pings everywhere I go no matter what 1337 net I may have (not considering a dedicated line).
            Monkey_Reloaded, stop and think about it for a sec. Money doesn't make a good connection nor it will decrease your ping. I hope you're not paying that much just for gaming... Take my case. There are literaly 3 - 4 public UT2004 servers that show up on server's list. You may check it » here « (it's the same in UT2004 list). None of them has instagibs and one is ONS (argh).
            For this reason I have no solution but to play foreign servers. Sure I get dutch and german servers pinging around 60 but if I wanna play instagibs I have to search a bit down the list. Then consider the ones I find always use some crappy mutator and settings and you get the idea...
            If I wanna play this game again I have to join Invasion servers (actually fun) or play against sub 50 dutch players in Barn, Barn, Barn...

It's not my fault, yours or the low pingers that this happens but it's the reality. If you ping well while the opponent lags, you're not forced to leave nor have any moral obligation to stop playing. The problem here is most of these low pingers like to brag in a way or another they won like if it was an even match. Then if the lagger wins them he's usually accused of cheating.

Stats mean jack to me so I will not say anything about it.

Now Zeroth, wtfeck you mean about "enhanced character"?:bulb:

Comment

Unless you are playing in a lan tournament where everybody gets the same ping, same hardware, same playing mouse and are playing under the same conditions with a referee to make sure nobody is cheating or anything, it's never going to be a level playing field. Somebody has a lower ping, somebody gets more fps than you, somebody has a 2000 dpi mouse while you have a pos ball mouse.......

I've been ping raped by ppl with lovely 23 pings when i have 250. Usually they are the ones who like to join, for obvious reasons lol. Everybody on the server has about 2XX, the low pinger comes in halfway thru and he just rapes the room with hitscan.

LG, sniperrifle, shock rifle are just devastating in those conditions. Then the guy starts bragging and calling the others nubs and retards etc.

The best thing about my setup for playing is my mx500 mouse which is "fair". On occasion, I've beaten a low pinger only because he really is new to the game. The area of the world I am in just doesn't have any local low ping fast servers for me. The best i get is still around 120. On that server, i am usually up against 50 pingers.

The point is : All you can do is play with what you've got. Don't expect it to be fair, absolutely don't take it personally if you get into a long losing streak against somebody in a match.

As for stats, I so not think they are of much use over all except in context of a single match and how much you feel you have improved. I've seen guys get real high in the stats only because they play one map on a stat server a lot. Yet when they go into non stat servers with the same map they get pounded by the best regular players there who are not anywhere on the official stats just because they are playing for competition and don't care about points.

As for padding stats, how's this? I once saw a guy doing spawn killing on a force respawn CTF Face Classic server against an idle player. He was getting like 100 kills per match just by running left and right and shooting the other guy in the head with SG lol. I checked his stats, that guy was a top tenner in DM. In his career he has like 2000 headshots and about 90 wicked sicks!

Comment

An 'Enhanced character' would for example by Calamity, or CalamityAngel (Both models which I truly love, but for their looks not the following bit .. )

With Species Statistics on, Calamity explodes with a redeemer blast when fragged.

With Species Statistics on, CalamityAngel can fly.

Sounds like eay cheating to me, hm ?

That's why I don't play on servers with species statistics on.

Comment

Thanks For The Response

Yeah, if someone has a great connection I'd be the last to hamper that. All I meant was the abuse, and I can see we all have to live with a certain amount of it. Being new to this, I may have jumped the gun. I'll keep plugging away and try to get my skills up to help offset the inequality inherent in "netspeed".

Thanks for the support: from both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeroth
                    Being a rookie I may not reach many, but I have to put this on record.

:downcast: If you log into a server with a ping half that of your opponents, you're padding your stats: STOP. (If I log in at double, that's my issue, and I'm fair fraggage)

:downcast: If you're using an enhanced character on a server that isn't set up to boot you: STOP (If the server allows enhanced, feel free)

:downcast: Last, but not least, if you can't accept defeat, you don't deserve victory.

Here's to Unreal getting a taste of REAL.
                    Being a veteran, I may not reach many, but I have to put this on record.

:downcast: If you log into a server with a ping half that of your opponents, you're simply choosing a server that will give you the most pleasant playing experience during your online session. Its not your fault the other players chose a bad server to play on.

:downcast: If you're using an enhanced character on a server and it works, the server allows it.

:downcast: Last, but not least, if you can't accept defeat, you shouldn't come here and post reasons why the other person isn't playing fair.

Comment

Its not your fault the other players chose a bad server to play on.
                      Like some of us have a joice... read the replies again...
                      Last, but not least, if you can't accept defeat, you shouldn't come here and post reasons why the other person isn't playing fair.
                      I don't consider "defeat" when we get owned by the ping, not by the skill.
                      :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Abilio_KID
                        Like some of us have a joice... read the replies again...

I don't consider "defeat" when we get owned by the ping, not by the skill.
                        :up:

Did Epic ban all low ping servers on you? Did your firewall malfuncion?
                        I didn't know ping was capable of owning. Does it have an athlon 64 and Nvidia graphics card?

Comment

Dont act dumb, u know verry well that ping is and CAN be a bottle neck/advantage on a players performance

Comment

HeCTiC are you still planning on running the LOB clinic for kids who want to own FFA demo servers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cursive
                              HeCTiC are you still planning on running the LOB clinic for kids who want to own FFA demo servers?
                              I was thinking about it but no worries Cursive, there won't be any extra fees added towards your private training sessions and your weekly classes will remain as scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                              X