Target/Ion Painter troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target/Ion Painter troubles

Sorry to be posting two threads in only a short time period, but I seem to have trouble with the Painter weapons.

I hold it down on a target and it won't activate despite me being still for two seconds. In some cases it took a whole minute out of my time to finally call in an airstrike that gets shot down after dropping only three bombs, or in more extreme cases I get killed while holding the superweapon and it very well could turn the tide of the match.

What are some guidelines to where to point the painters?

In the open where it is accessible by the aircraft or the ion cannon.

Comment

For me at least it seems, I have to paint the ground and not actually the "target".

i.e. If I want to destroy a node... I have to paint the ground right next to the node and not the node itself.

Comment

It's real picky about where it will fire, just practice with the thing, and remember the spots on the map where it will fire.

And by the way, you don't have to keep it PERFECTLY still for it to fire. On Morpheus 3, I was able to fire the Ion Painter in mid-air while falling, though you have to be real steady.
        :haha:

Comment

just point, click and hold.

Comment

As others have said, it's not consistent about painting non-level terrain (tho sometimes it has no problems at all). It can be frustratingly arbitrary. The only thing to do is get used to it and try to work around its stupid quirks.

Comment

It would probably be a better weapon when it had the ability 2 zoom.

Comment

Ugh, they do.

Comment

Zoom in if you need to. To call in the ion cannon beam or air strike you have to mark a location, not an object. The location is only valid if it is not too steep. Anything you can walk on should be fine, but some grates don't block zero-extend traces so the painter points through them.

Comment

Anything that is counted as a static mesh, you can paint on, even on the sides of it. Movers are unpaintable, and BSP has to be flat.

You can grab the painter on Morpheus and then paint the trim above you and it will work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by CMan
                      Ugh, they do.
                      Lol, it's probably a sign that I hardly use that weapon.

Comment

Hint

Hint
                        If it is in heavy Shadow on it dont try to paint on it.
                        or test it when you have time.

Comment

Phoenix Bomber question

Also, is the line of bombs that the Phoenix Bomber drops have to be parallel to a straight line between you and the location you point the Target Painter?

I've noticed that not to be the case.

Comment

You can't paint somewhere where the bomber will crash into an object, or where there is something that is above the target location and below the bomber, such as under a bridge...

Comment

Re: Hint

Originally posted by DumDumDog
                              Hint
                              If it is in heavy Shadow on it dont try to paint on it.
                              or test it when you have time.
                              Actually shadow doesn't have much to do with it unless the shadow is caused by a really wide bridge or a doorway leading to an enclosed building or something.

Basically you need line of sight from the ion satellite to where you are painting, or you need enough room for the bomber to spawn behind you, fly over, bomb, and disappear.

Comment

Working...
                              X