PS2.0 and BumpMapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2.0 and BumpMapping?

I have had UT2k4 for a while now and i think im seeing things. Some maps appear to have Bump mapping on some textures...

Does the UT2k4 Eng support PS(pixel shader)2.0 & the ability to bump map???

Id love to see an UT2k4 update that will make it where we can use bmapping etc etc... Didnt know if it did or not.

Delta Force black hawk down is on an older engine and it has PS2.0....

There is no way of doing real bumpmapping in UT2k4 (without modifying the internal engine files, which are not accessible to the public), the effect you were likely seeing was a "pseudo-bumpmapping" effect that was discussed a long long time ago in these forums...It is hacky and difficult to implement and will only look good under the right circumstances.

EDIT: Also, the lighting upon the pseudo-bumpmapped textures must be applied when making the texture...Thus it is even more limited, you can't put a lightsource near it and have that show up on the surface....You have to redo the texture itself.

Comment

Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler
      There is no way of doing real bumpmapping in UT2k4...
      Which is strange considering how long bump mapping has been around (since directx 7?). So to get another question answered, what are the textures in DM-Icetomb on the main water falls, they look 'bumpy', are they the fake bump-map effect or something else?

Comment

You mean the floors? Shoot at them, they are static mesh's with an environment mapped layer...this can be seen because flak bounces off the sides of the stones.

Comment

You're probably seeing a specular brightness map. Personally I really hate it when this is used to simulate bumpiness on a texture. (a very obvious and ugly example of this is pretty much all the walls in DM-Campgrounds-G1E) it should only be used to differ between shiny and non shiny parts of a texture.

Comment

Working...
          X