[OT] Recommend me an ISP :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Recommend me an ISP :)

Well, to put it simply, i have money to throw away.

I'm on an PhD and have an EPSRC studentship, which i'm gonna find hard to find real use for (half of it anyway).

I'm gonna save it for when i get into industry, but for the time being, i can spare some for a nice fat pipe.

So! I know Pipex, Eclipse, and Nildram have good reputations, but can anyone you give me a good recommendation?

(Uk, Northwest. Don't have cable in my area i think)

Many thanks!

I'm also in the UK, Northwest. I'm on Eclipse 1Mb Flex (I can't actually get higher than 1Mb from any provider, since I'm >6 miles away from the exchange or something :\ ) and it's pretty awesome, I get great pings to pretty much everywhere - lower than any other UK guys in my clan - and good download speeds and stuff.

Comment

Move 6 miles closer :up:

Comment

Re: [OT] Recommend me an ISP

Originally posted by Ickle
        Well, to put it simply, i have money to throw away.

I'm on an PhD and have an EPSRC studentship, which i'm gonna find hard to find real use for (half of it anyway).

I'm gonna save it for when i get into industry, but for the time being, i can spare some for a nice fat pipe.

So! I know Pipex, Eclipse, and Nildram have good reputations, but can anyone you give me a good recommendation?

(Uk, Northwest. Don't have cable in my area i think)

Many thanks!
        If your intersted in high speed, I would look at BE, UKOnline and Bulldog. They will all be offering upto 24Mb ADSL2+ (although realistically max 18Mb for most folk) soon. All depends on if they've enabled your telephone exchange or not and how far away you are from your telephone exchange.

Comment

Re: Re: [OT] Recommend me an ISP

Originally posted by eLJay
          If your intersted in high speed, I would look at BE, UKOnline and Bulldog. They will all be offering upto 24Mb ADSL2+ (although realistically max 18Mb for most folk) soon. All depends on if they've enabled your telephone exchange or not and how far away you are from your telephone exchange.
          Well if by exchange, you mean the green box thingy where the all the telephones lines in the local area go to, then yeah, mine's across the road.

I'll check em out. (BE stands for..?)

Comment

Pipex all the way man no packetloss just great lag free connection highly recommended

Comment

Originally posted by ~AvAlAnChÊ~
              Pipex all the way man no packetloss just great lag free connection highly recommended
              Is all I can say from personal experience.

Those 24mbit lines sure sound good though.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: [OT] Recommend me an ISP

Well if by exchange, you mean the green box thingy where the all the telephones lines in the local area go to, then yeah, mine's across the road.

Nope, that's not the exchange.

We've got one of those a mile up the road, but our local exchange is a whole town away.
                I'm glad you've posted this thred, since I'm after changing our isp too, I'll be looking though these recomendations with interest.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: [OT] Recommend me an ISP

As someone has already said, thats not what your exchange is .

The telephone exchange is an actual building where thousands of lines connect at.

goto www.samknows.com and enter your telephone number and postcode into the "Availability checker", then click "Locality" - you will be a shown a map and underneath is your straight line distance from the exchange. You normally add atleast an extra 30% onto this distance for the bends in the road (although this isn't an exact science) .

I dunno what BE stands for, but the sites are www.bethere.co.uk
                  Bulldog is www.bulldogdsl.com
                  and UKOnline is www.ukonline.net

Comment

Well in that case, then it's only down the road about a kilometer away including bends and whatnot.

But, i think it's not enabled for a bunch of stuff. SDSL, LLUxDSL and blueyonder. Have got ntl tho'.

..sucks . I'm moving to Japan.

Comment

Well in that case, then it's only down the road about a kilometer away including bends and whatnot.

But, i think it's not enabled for a bunch of stuff. SDSL, LLUxDSL and blueyonder. Have got ntl tho'.

NTL sucks.

I base that off the irregular amount yet almost constant presence of packet loss. I can cope with it because I'm not paying for it myself, but the occasions where I end up falling off an edge because of packet loss are **** annoying at the time.

Comment

Have you checked your details in the ISP's checker system? I know BE are rolling out there network all next year, so your exchange might be on the list..

Also, MaxDSL (a BTw product should be arriving soon).. With all ISP's on BT's network offering upto 8Mb.

Comment

Originally posted by eLJay
                          Have you checked your details in the ISP's checker system? I know BE are rolling out there network all next year, so your exchange might be on the list..

Also, MaxDSL (a BTw product should be arriving soon).. With all ISP's on BT's network offering upto 8Mb.
                          Yeah, I checked, BE say they are doing my exchange march next year.

Got a link for the BT info? I can't be bothered loking thru thier site

Comment

Sorry, I don't know any page that shows a date for MaxDSL etc.. It's just the articles I've read of the past year on adslguide.org.uk

From what I understand, there should have been atleast some trials by now. It's possibly they're holding off on it though until LLU has got more active.

Comment

Ahh, np.

Think I shall go look thru' the articles at adslguide guide then for info on BE.

Cheers for help dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X