Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retreating + Stocking On Shields = Cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retreating + Stocking On Shields = Cheap?

Hey All,

I been playing with a friend online in some 1v1 battles and he always complains about it beeing cheap when I run from battle when I have low health or when I stock up on shields.

Example on one map DM-CBP1-Elegance and doing some heavy shooting, me with :heart: Shock Riffle :heart:, him with lightning gun, and he lands a few shots on me and im down to 12 health. I dont think its wise to stay in battle because if he lands 1 more shot im done for, so I simply back off and hit a few health powerups and continue to fight. Would you say thats cheap?, smart? tactial? Do you guys just keep playing untill one person falls or do you retreat when nessasary?

Also I dont really time the shields, but I will head to them when I think they have respawned. I believe they are just another factor of the game and if your smart enough to grab them you may tip the scale in your favor. I dont think shields are cheep do you?

Ugh, maybe im a newb or maybe I need some new UT2K4 Friends :bulb:

Wolfy

I'd say that's smart. He must have just been sore that he didn't get you.

Comment

Yeah could be,

We use to play a lot of Rainbow Six where there isnt any health or powerups, so I guess he isnt use to having them around or something. Anyway, I mean if we are having a good battle ill stay in the fight untill someone is gone but if I run out of ammo and im down to a machinegun, and low health im going to start looking for health. I think he mostly complains because he follows me and its uber easy to kill him when he does. I told him if he dosent like it he shouldnt follow me and force me to fight him to get some kills, or learn the map and powerup spawn points and try to stop me from getting them.

Wolfy

Comment

How can anyone who's played a computer game, ever, not be used to the concept of powerups?
        Blimey charlie, such madness.

My brother used to moan, when during our games of Micro Machines 1 (on the megadrive) I would ram him off the track.
        Did your mate ever play Road Rash? That would have upset him no end I bet..

Seriously though, don't fret it at all, people can come up with some very inventive reasons to justify why they lost, especially so with UT, nothing you did by the sounds of it sounds dodgy, in fact some would argue (and they'd be right) that it's the only way to win.

Next time he moans, kill him again while he's talking, & then laugh. Just to wind him up..

Comment

he sounds like a sore loser...

Knowing where the power-ups are and when they reappear are the marks of a smart player, anyone who complains about grabbing them all up is a big baby.

Comment

its called stratagy, if you dont like it play tam

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Yeah thats pretty much how I feel about it too. I feel learning the maps and grabing powerups is all part of being a smart player. I was kind of telling him that its stupid that if I know the super shield is available that I should just walk away from it and leave it for the enemy to grab. Complete Madness... :bulb:

Wolfy

Comment

Your opponent needs to learn to be aggressive and finish his kills. That's what makes TDM & 1v1's great. You actually have to be aggressive, attacking power ups, and charging weak opponents. Unlike TAM, where you sit back, waiting for the next ambush opportunity or trading LG primaries.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill
                  its called stratagy, if you dont like it play tam
                  hahhahahaha

Comment

Your friend is a whiner. :down:

Kill him sooo much that he has to go for the power-ups. :up:

Mind giving his in-game name so I can add him to my buddy list and kill him too?

Comment

I like TAM because it encourages awareness and fragging skill as opposed to spawn-raping your opponent with triple-barrelled rockets, and for practice on public servers nothing is more annoying than being in the middle of a complete and total map lockdown, which in TDM may not have entirely been your fault.

When you're getting serious, though, you have to use every advantage to win. If you can't hitscan him, run away, or charge him with flak and rockets, whichever works best. Try and predict where he will go, and use ambushes or try to cut him off from his destination. Try practicing timing the shields, and possibly your opponent's best weapon, it gets easier the more you do it (I should know, because I haven't done much timing lately, and it's affected me). TAM has its own strategy but is not so reliant on powerups. TDM and 1on1 incorporates both the strategy you can find in TAM and the strategy of controlling the map (powerups, respawns, popular routes, choke points, mind games etc). If you're winning and he's not, it means he's doing something wrong. So, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. More like you should be telling him to improve.

PS. though I have become obsessive over my aim lately, and am playing more defensive, I can be offensive to great effect in TAM. Nothing beats loading 3 rockets into the back of someone, picking off another one with a combo and then running over to that guy your team is having so much trouble with to pump him full of flak. You have to be alert though because if you run backwards into someone it really, really isn't good

Comment

its tactical play...same thing with timing power-ups...

Tactics ftw.

Comment

Don't listen to what other players whine about. The point of this game is to win the match. And how that is done is totally your decision whether that means fighting the opposer to the very end or retreating for some health and ammo. Apparently your friend chose the way to fight to the end and moan about it if you refuse to do so. A heroic, but defective strategy.

Comment

I think he thinks it's more "manly" or "honorable" to fight using pure fighting skills, rather than relying on running away and powering up.

Comment

you should let him kill you more, and give him all the powerups. For god's sake, don't touch the health or run away because that is teh noobzor thing. You should also throw him all your waepons and suicide a few times if the score gets too uneven. If your computer is a lot better than his, you should take some ram out, or put some tape on your monitor so you can't see as well. If i ever play you online, i will be doing all this for you, as would anybody else in this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X