Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplayer w/o administrative rights

Hi!

In order to increase system security, I've set up my WinXP box with two user accounts. An administrator account and a normal account classified as "power user". Because of the ini files and stuff, I've granted the latter account full access to the UT2004 game folder.

The game runs fine, but as soon as I click on the "join game" button, a message pops up saying "It has been determined that the Windows Firewall is enabled and that UT2004 is not yet authorized to connect to the internet. Authorization is required in order to use the online components of the game. Please refer to the README.TXT for more information".

Well, I am using the Windows SP2 Firewall and there is actually a rule set up which grants the restricted user account to use UT2004.exe for accessing the internet. Any ideas ?

-Markus-

As admin:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Make sure you're in category view -> Network Connections -> Right-click on connection -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Settings (under windows firewall section) -> Exceptions tab -> Add program -> Browse -> Find & select ut2004.exe -> open -> OK -> OK -> OK.

Now everything should be closed out, and you should have set windows firewall up to allow UT2004.exe on the internet.

Comment

Somehow I knew this would happen

As I said, I've got a firewall rule just like that set up. I can play and host network games *if* I play UT2004 with my administrator account just fine. But with a restricted user account, that message pops up. Annoyingly, this even happens when I merely click on "Join Game" whereas no opened ports would be required at all.

-Markus-

Comment

Something that may be useful, if not a complete solution, would be to create a shortcut to the ut2004 EXE, right click it, go to Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Advanced button, and check the 'run with different credentials' checkbox.

Then, each time you run through the shortcut, it'll give you the option to run as a different user, and therefore you can run it as your administrator account but with the advantage that you're not actually logged into windows as that account (security benefit).

Like I said, it's not a solution as such, but it should be a way around it.

Comment

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.

I investigated a bit further: Each time I click on 'Join Game', UT2004 actually rewrites the Windows XP firewall rule. I can delete this rule with UT2004 running in a window, then click 'Join Game' and it will be right back when I reopen the firewall settings.

Probably this is the cause why UT2004 only works when a) the windows firewall is off or b) the user account under which is runs is allowed to modify the firewall settings. Maybe the guys at Epic were simply getting tired of answering the same support requests all the time.

So my options are limited to
          - Running UT2004 as Administrator
          - Using a non-Microsoft Firewall
          - Locating the hidden switch that makes UT2004 behave like it should

-Markus-

Comment

Originally posted by Cygon
            So my options are limited to
            - Using a non-Microsoft Firewall

for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
              ZA for the win.
              Fixed

Comment

WindowsXP wasn't designed with non-administrator users in mind.

that being said, you can disable SP2 firewall features by setting the following in your ut2004.ini

Code:
                [FireWall]
                IgnoreSP2=1

Comment

@El_Muerte_[TDS]: Great, that's exactly what I was looking for. Works like a charm now.

I'm under the impression that the Professional Edition of Windows XP should be quite able to cope with non-administrator users. Just that most of today's software, especially games, seems to require write-access to its own directory. Oh well, just like having a second monitor where the mouse cursor loves to go in some games, minimizing the game as soon as I click. The further you stray from the mainstream...

-Markus-

Comment

Get a hardware firewall, they are all of 45$CAD around here, they are less conflicting then software firewall, and they use less reources

Comment

Originally posted by Cygon
                      Just that most of today's Windows software, especially games, seems to require write-access to its own directory.
                      There, fixed that for you. :up:

Comment

Heh, I have the exact same problem (although I'll try El Muerte's thing too). My trick was to go into the console and type in a random IP address. Because it doesn't exist, it'll just go to a "connecting" screen. Just press escape and then you have the option to go to the server browser.
                        Of course, none of that is necessary now, but that's my little bypass. Good thing Windows Firewall is protecting my computer.

Comment

shut off windows firewall. It doesn't work. seriously.

Comment

My internet connection is behind a hardware router which of course only forwards the ports I explicitely allow it to.

Now why does this guy then not simply give himself administrative rights and shut down the Windows Firewall you ask ?
                            Well, uhm, I'd like to be able to go to a LAN party at any time, maybe even let someone else use my mighty cool water-cooled (get it ? ) PC while I'm catching up some sleep.

@Cthulhu:

-Markus-

Comment

Working...
                            X