Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the point of making ut2004 more like ut99?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the point of making ut2004 more like ut99?

Okay I have been reading these threads about enforcer mutators and ut99 maps, but whats the point if you liked ut99 play ut99 not 2004 for they are different games. Epic's goalwas to make a different game wiyth a different feel to it, not to make make all their games lookalmost the same that would be very smart now would it? And i keep seeing all sorts of userswhining about how ut2004 should have so and so more like ut99... well if you dont like ut2004 play ut99 then doesnt that make sense?

Ut99 is ut99,
    ut2004 is ut2004,
    ut2007 is ut2007.

Only because they have similar name doesn't mean they are the same game.

Comment

Certain parts of UT (no such thing as UT99) are worth transporting over for their gameplay or simply nostalgic value. Theres no point reinstalling and old game simply to use X weapon is there, when you can make a nice, tarted up port of it, with some nice balancing.

Although it gets my goat when people decide to remake a whole game. Why not just play the original, if all you are going to do is make something play EXACTLY the same...

Comment

what would you pick, play your game on an old and not that great engine, or play your game on an new and good engine ?

i didnt play ut99 and dont enjoy it either, just as i dont enjoy ut2k4 either, but i understand ppl, i mean they get a better netcode, better audio system, and also better gfx system thats better compitable with the newest stuff, better physics etc etc.

Comment

bingo. this guy knows how to use his brain.

Comment

Originally posted by tewicc
            i didnt play ut99 and dont enjoy it either, just as i dont enjoy ut2k4 either
            WTH are you here for then?!?

UT2k3?
            (I actually enjoyed that immensely, myself)

Back on topic:

IMO there was something special in UT99 that transcended other games. Through this elusive and hard to characterize quality, the control and feedback of the game character became so intimate with your mind and feelings, near total absorption was possible.

I have recently gone back and played the old UT and was aghast at how poorly it ran and looked.....but i could still feel something of that Zen-like quality i (poorly) attempted to describe above.

I believe it is this un-nameable quality that people want returned to the game. No matter waht the specific topic is (skins, weapons, speed, movement) this is what people really want. I am sure that this topic has been described better, by people more eloquent than me

Comment

I can personally understand why some people might think, "Oh, Unreal Tournament. I had a ton of fun with that game. It must still be just as good." but that's not the case. It hardly ever is.

It's the same reason EQ was, and will always remain the King of MMORPGs: It was one of the first of its kind, and it revolutionized MMOgs (or, in this case, FPSs) for eternity. It just had that certain charm about it. I recently went back to play it and I could barely stand the graphics, the economy was ruined, and every part of the game was exploited. Everything was known, and there are such good graphics these days. It's hard to go back to an old game like that and enjoy it. The only time I've ever done that was Half Life, and I never played that in the first place.

UT was fun, I'll admit. It was probably the most important FPS to the gaming industry today. It's not always going to be the same game. The community and feeling of awe that the game gave in 99 is gone now. The graphics are pretty bad now, and a lot of people can't deal with that any more. UT2004 has a totally different feel, and moving backwards is hard to do.

Comment

option 1 cause ma UTGOTY CD is broke

Comment

Well I believe that everyone wants to upgrade and get the "new" and "improved" versions, but, when they make a new game they change things everytime. So with this in mind they changed UT99 so radically that they left behind a large part of the fanbase who did not like or want to adapt. The new games always require higher end hardware everytime. I mean I have a top of the line system pretty much ( 1yr old ) and if I want to really enjoy the game when it comes out I am going to need to get:

1. Another Gig o Ram to make 2GB's total - $200 - $400

2. Another Graphics card to upgrade from my AIW 9800 Pro 128mb - $600 - $1000

3. PCI Express comptible motherboard - $100 - $400

All this to play a $60 game that I'm sure is going to be awesome.

What most are looking for is the feel / gameplay / movement of UT99 with the graphics / weapons of UT2K4.

Comment

UT bashing ****** me off

let em do it if they wanna do it

people whining over people whining

I can't wait for it, because UT at its time was a great and awsome game. And i hope to do they are bringing the warboss model with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sm@ck
                      1. Another Gig o Ram to make 2GB's total - $200 - $400

2. Another Graphics card to upgrade from my AIW 9800 Pro 128mb - $600 - $1000

3. PCI Express comptible motherboard - $100 - $400

All this to play a $60 game that I'm sure is going to be awesome.
                      Where are you getting those prices? You sound like you're setting yourself to get ripped off next upgrade. :|

Comment

Most of it falls to Weapon balance and Graphic extras

Baiclly there was none and none, ok there was some wepaon balance, but the sniper was the most unfair in FPS hsitory, and people were ****** that they balanced it, it was faster, did not give you away ad the headshot hitbox was larger, which is also why CTF-Face is so popular, because people loved ebing able to gun poeple down with out much effort on their part (read spawn lockdown required two people...)

Also notied how many peopple that can run UT2004 with everything on don't? cause the concept of the enviroment actually contributing to gameplay is a sin to them

Seriously these people wnat:
                        1. A sniper rifle that fires at somewhere near the firerate of the minigun and does not puff smoke or have any beams, juts one shot and kill
                        2. Make the whole model a headshot hit box
                        3. one Cube map, a simple subtracted cube with a additive cube int he middle (to add z-axis)
                        4. The whole thing better run at 60000fps too.

Note some parts are sarcasm others are serious, your choice, you will probably disagree with me, but that is no less then I expect of those that actually do fall into the above :P

Comment

Originally posted by windigo
                          they are bringing the warboss model with it.
                          me hopes so too:up:

Comment

Originally posted by tewicc
                            what would you pick, play your game on an old and not that great engine, or play your game on an new and good engine ?

i didnt play ut99 and dont enjoy it either, just as i dont enjoy ut2k4 either, but i understand ppl, i mean they get a better netcode, better audio system, and also better gfx system thats better compitable with the newest stuff, better physics etc etc.
                            That's right on target and anyone who's ever done any mapping
                            would easily understand.

What I fail to understand is why anyone would harbor ill-will
                            towards the UTR mod. After all, nobody is cocking a gun to
                            your head and forcing you to download and play the mod
                            once it's released. The mod is being developed for those that
                            prefer the original UT. If you can't live with the fact that the
                            original UT is going to live on in some form or another then pick
                            up the nearest phone and dial 1-800- WAAAAAH !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hsoolien

Seriously these people wnat:
                              1. A sniper rifle that fires at somewhere near the firerate of the minigun and does not puff smoke or have any beams, juts one shot and kill
                              2. Make the whole model a headshot hit box
                              3. one Cube map, a simple subtracted cube with a additive cube int he middle (to add z-axis)
                              4. The whole thing better run at 60000fps too.
                              CTF- AndAction...
                              Instagib

I loved how easy it was to kill people in UT99, instagib or not.

some people complain about skill and blah blah blah

the easykills made for really fast gameplay

Comment

Working...
                              X