[OT]Need help buy PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT]Need help buy PC

Hey guys, I got a friend who recently got hooked on UT2k4 but is not fortunate to play on his ancient PC. So he is in desperate need of purchasing a new one.

His budget is roughtly $500-600. What he's looking for is a fully built pc (not top of the line pc but mid range) with possibly a dvd/cdrw and windows xp. Video card is not important as I will be giving him my old fx 5900. Thanks in advance :up:

I don't know if it's the best possible idea but you could try getting one of those used machines from retrobox.

http://www.retrobox.com

The selection changes as stuff gets bought and sold so it helps to check back over time.

Comment

MB 939 for sure , 512 ram , venice 3000 + , and if youll give him fx 5900 than he should do fine .. just make sure he buys 939 since once ut 2k7 comes he would need the mb .

So definetly 939 mb , 3000+ venice , 512 ram ( he can upgrade later ) , any gpu ...

Comment

www.dell.com
        go to the outlet and search for stuff under 750.

Edit: keep checking back the stock changes all the time. Alot of time it dosent say if it has an AGP slot or not. Most do. I got a very nice system for 700 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by blh
          I don't know if it's the best possible idea but you could try getting one of those used machines from retrobox.

http://www.retrobox.com

The selection changes as stuff gets bought and sold so it helps to check back over time.

WOW that site sucks some serious ***. Best system i could find was a p4 2.4 for 300 bucks with no OS. The dell outlet is a way better value.

Comment

Originally posted by rochin
            www.dell.com
            ROFLMAO :haha: :haha: You must be joking, right? Dell sucks so much it's not funny. I recommend you build a PC. You can build a much nicer PC for $600 than you could get with Dell. Dell is like AOL and Comcast. They all provide different things, but they all have one thing in common. They all suck ***. If you want, I will help you select parts for the PC. Whatever you do, don't get dell. They don't use any AMD processors, which should be reason enough not to get it. If you need more, please ask.

Comment

Originally posted by rochin
              www.dell.com
              Oh bloody hell! IT'S A DELL! :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by ll0rt
                ROFLMAO :haha: :haha: You must be joking, right? Dell sucks so much it's not funny. I recommend you build a PC. You can build a much nicer PC for $600 than you could get with Dell. Dell is like AOL and Comcast. They all provide different things, but they all have one thing in common. They all suck ***. If you want, I will help you select parts for the PC. Whatever you do, don't get dell. They don't use any AMD processors, which should be reason enough not to get it. If you need more, please ask.

you may laugh all you want. When i got my P4 3.4 H/T 1024 gb ddr2 400 Ram 160 GB SATA HD CDRW DVD+-R/W and a nvidia 6600 all for 700 bucks from there i was laughing all the way to the bank. And yes they dont use AMD because AMD can not meet the demand Dell has for CPUs. Im not an Intel fan boy but AMD is not god. Deal with it. Some people like Intel. He is looking for a pre built system, Or can you not read. For the 600 he is wanting to spend getting a complete system dell is the way to go. Many people have tried to out do dells price on my system but they have all failed. Dell my not be the best of the best but he didnt want a super uber system.

Comment

Sorry , but Intel is not as good amd for games , look at some charts ...

If you want a pc overall go for intel , if you want it mainly for games go for amd 939 .

Hey I suggest one thing , make you friend get a 939 MB and everything else I dont care about .

Comment

$700 is rape. Sorry to break it to you.

And Included OS:es are for morons... It's better to use a old copy you got.

And dell are ****. They cut more corners than highway street racers.

Comment

Agreed, Dell's budget PCs are pretty ****, and the only good ones they've ever made were made with top-of-the-line components, and then they became overpriced. Either way, Dell's not the best way to go.

That having been said, an AMD machine is usually going to be better for gaming, but Intel machines are by no means bad. When building or buying a machine, it's always better to look at the quality and specs of all the components in it than the brand-name on it's components.

As WoSP said, socket 939 is a pretty good decision. You can build a nice mid-range AMD s939 machine without spending alot. Of course, you could always go s754, but don't plan on doing any CPU upgrades in the future.

Comment

Krill 3.2 , 700$ is enough , main thing is to get 939 so you dont need to upgrade a mb later .

Getting a new pc at the moment is kind of stupid but if you get a cheap one with 939 and keep some money for 7800 gtx ... I think thats the best you can do if you want to get a new pc and not upgrade too much in the future ...
                        Of course you could get a 7800 gtx for eh how much about 550$ ?

Comment

ALIENWARE! Cheap stuff very good. No kidding

Comment

Also, a big thing to take into consideration is whether you're going to go PCIE or AGP for the videocard.

Alienware is a no-go if you want the best bang for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by vrxGz
                              Also, a big thing to take into consideration is whether you're going to go PCIE or AGP for the videocard.

Alienware is a no-go if you want the best bang for your buck.
                              Sure whatever your telling me a computer that cost 500$ and runs great is bad

Comment

Working...
                              X