MaxInternetClientRate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MaxInternetClientRate

wat does the value there stand for.... usually set to 10000 ... 10KB/s 10kbps?

just wondering.... wat is the optimal value for 3 Megabit net connection...

thnx

Edit: oh and i'd also like to know, when ppl download maps (or anything else .. like mutators and stuff) off my comp when connecting to my server... it goes so very slow.... any ideas on how to speed it up?

I wonder about this too... (bump)

I can pull down about 4.5 MB/s max, so if I could tweak this value to get smoother gameplay on servers where I am pinging high... I'd like to know how.

Snuggins

Comment

Do some reading here first to understand what the server is sending you.

http://www.clanvikings.org/tnse/utstuff.html

|CE|BeyonDeath.... Setup a ftp on your PC and use redirect or use a public redirect site. I don't think you can speed downloads up much in UT itself. That may have changed in recent releases though. Limit ftp download speeds and connections so you don't lag in the game if that's important.

Comment

it really depends on alot on the individual server on how it feels, i use 11K myself, since that will allow me to go higher in my fps, and i in general hit pretty good with that.

Comment

<------------ 6000

Comment

Re: MaxInternetClientRate

Originally posted by |CE|BeyonDeath
            wat does the value there stand for.... usually set to 10000 ... 10KB/s 10kbps?

just wondering.... wat is the optimal value for 3 Megabit net connection...

thnx

Edit: oh and i'd also like to know, when ppl download maps (or anything else .. like mutators and stuff) off my comp when connecting to my server... it goes so very slow.... any ideas on how to speed it up?
            The unit is bytes/second, the maximum value is 20000. It is also limited at server side so just set it as high as your connection can handle and don't worry about it. Only reason to fudge with it would be a badly configured server but you probably want to stay away from a server like that anyway.

As for the redirection of files, what you need is a HTTP-server (not FTP), you can read more about it here

EDIT: Fixed a absolutely moronic error...

Comment

guess i was thinkning of configurednetspeed...which is described as:

This is a vital setting. It determines your network rate in bits per second. Tweaking this setting can improve lag problems.

For 56K modems, depending on your connection speed try values between 2400 and 3000 for optimal ping. As a rule of thumb, try and match your average connection speed (in kbps).

For ADSL/DSL/Cable and faster connections try higher values, ranging from 6000 - 8000. You can try the default value of 10000 but I find this is just too high to maintain a steady low ping, and use 8000.

Remember that depending on the ping of the server you join, where it’s located, who else is playing and how many others, you may still experience some lag regardless, particularly at the start of each round, or when lots of people join. Also remember that servers have a cap on this rate, so even if you set it very high it may still be limited by the maximum bandwidth the server is set to allocate to each player.

Something interesting to note is that your frames per second are limited by your netspeed. Netspeeds below 5000 will noticeably cap framerates for those with faster machines. For example, I get 60 FPS maximum with a netspeed of 5000, but 90 FPS maximum with a netspeed of 8000. You can adjust Netspeed "on the fly" using the Netspeed command (see Console Commands section below) to find which network rate gives you the best ping and framerate on the current server.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                guess i was thinkning of configurednetspeed...which is described as:

...description...
                is this the line you're talking about Frogger? -

"MaxInternetClientRate=10000"

under heading -

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]

I'd like to know for sure so that i can mess with the setting.
                It might help me.

If not, where is this configurednetspeed setting located?
                Can't find it in the UT2004.ini

Comment

Originally posted by Plumb_Drumb
                  If not, where is this configurednetspeed setting located?
                  Can't find it in the UT2004.ini
                  its in user.ini

configurednetspeed

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                    its in user.ini

configurednetspeed
                    ah k, found it, thanks

Comment

I am just going to leave my MaxInternetClientRate alone, but I did move my ConfiguredInternetSpeed down to 8000. I am going to see how that works out.

What about bDynamicNetSpeed and DynamicPingThreshhold?

Anyone know the consequences of messing with these settings?

Snuggins

Comment

Originally posted by Snuggins
                        I am just going to leave my MaxInternetClientRate alone, but I did move my ConfiguredInternetSpeed down to 8000. I am going to see how that works out.

What about bDynamicNetSpeed and DynamicPingThreshhold?

Anyone know the consequences of messing with these settings?

Snuggins
                        Dynamic Netspeed: This is a new option which if selected allows UT2004 to dynamically alter your Netspeed setting (see Advanced Tweaking and Console Commands sections below) to maintain optimal ping. However I have found that if enabled this can cause variations in your ping which can be difficult to adjust to during a game. I highly recommend unticking this option as it can lead to more lag and ping variability.

btw..all this and more found here

Comment

thx for the links guys :up:

Snuggins

Comment

c.. the reason i was asking was cuz... i run a listen server when we wanna play... and this one guy who has cable and not very far aways from me has a higher ping then someone everyone else.... he has nothing else in the background.... so i figured i mite be able to do something to improve that....

Comment

Working...
                            X