In & Out packets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In & Out packets

It's weird but I decided to play a bit UT2004 again (who knows why...) so I joined some random server. As usual I keep my net stats on so I can check for any problem when the game starts to stutter.
    Now the weird part. I'm using right now about 8000 netspeed. When I look at the net stats I realize I have less packets coming IN that packets going OUT. Changing my netspeed only changes packets going out.
    Now, 8000 is good enough but the server had like 5 packets coming in and 30 going out. Is this a cap on the server? Because the in/out ratio is too stupid. I've noticed this on a few servers where I stutter. However on others the in/out ratio is about 1/1.

What's more weird is that I've only noticed it today, lol.
    Anywone knows what's the deal here? this way no wonder servers lag like hell (they don't send enough packets).

There is a server-side cap on the bandwidth allocated for each client. Some server administrators up this, some lower it. Some leave it the same. I suspect you're seeing this on servers where it's been lowered.

Comment

But so low? And why does the game need to send more bytes from me to the server than the opposite way?
      Just for testing purposes I used netspeed 2600 and the amount of bytes going out was almost the same as the ones coming in. Are they capping it so low as 2600? Also modifying this made my fps go to 62. Nothing to worry because at my resolution I only have 60 hz but I'd like to have a bit more.
      This was on an Invasion server (probably why it was so capped) but with only 2600 netspeed it wouldn't stutter and the hit regist was ok.
      Well, something's funny here. No wonder once I noticed that by playing a few hours my ISP was registering more upload than download. Go figure this game...

Comment

A professional lagger shouldn't have problems with this.

Comment

Well, talk about uselless replies...

Comment

Ironically, calling a useless reply useless is really quite useless. In addition, my pointing out that calling a useless reply useless is no more useless than your calling a useless reply useless.

That having been said, bad attempts shouldn't be considered useless. At the very least, they are grounds for cynical comments, as you yourself have displayed.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if some server admins were capping bandwidth as low as 2600. There are some mighty stupid administrators out there (as evidenced by a server I saw a few nights ago, which was low-grav flak-arena + all forms of voting disabled.)

Comment

Actually, I think this is due to the fact that clients and server run at different framerates. A server usually run in the 20-40 interval, meaning that the gameworld is updated that many times per second. Clients on the other hand run at much higher rates and it is logical to assume that they push updates to the server at a higher rate.

Comment

That makes sense but that also means I'm sending extra data that the server doesn't need. It should send me back all data from other players, positions, if I hit or not, who shot, etc. while from my side I only need to send my current position and wtf I was doing when I sent that data. At least that's what I think.:weird:

The point is that I should then not send so much data if it's not needed but on the other way it would cap my fps online even more. Hmm...

Comment

lol vrxGz.

Personally I wouldn't rely too much on those net stats, the ping reading alone is horribly inaccurate.

When you think about it there isn't a great deal of stuff that needs to be replicated from the server...and it is highly compressed, the updating of clientside movements would need to be very frequent so it seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler

Personally I wouldn't rely too much on those net stats, the ping reading alone is horribly inaccurate.
                    yeah, I've been getting some serious packet loss lately, and using the stats to view packet loss... it shows "0" constantly.
                    Whacky.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedApe
                      Actually, I think this is due to the fact that clients and server run at different framerates. A server usually run in the 20-40 interval, meaning that the gameworld is updated that many times per second. Clients on the other hand run at much higher rates and it is logical to assume that they push updates to the server at a higher rate.
                      Originally posted by [6pk]Shambler

When you think about it there isn't a great deal of stuff that needs to be replicated from the server... and it is highly compressed, the updating of clientside movements would need to be very frequent so it seems about right.
                      Both of those suggestions make perfect sense as well. In actuality, it's probably a combination of factors. No matter what the cause, the solution is simply not to play on those servers.

Comment

Well, thanks for the info anyway. It was just something that I didn't pay much attention too before but was kinda wondering why it happened.
                        It's also because on some servers, even with a decent ping, no packet loss and high fps (capped at 90 anyway) I was still having a bit of stutter. On the other way, I've played servers with 200 ping (without any prediction system) and it felt very smooth, even shots registered very well.
                        Basically it's the way people configure the servers, etc. nothing new then.
                        Thanks anyway.:up:

Oh, unfortunently that solution makes very sense. I can't find a decent server (with people in it) to play in these days. Considering I only like to play instagibs this is even worse

Comment

Working...
                        X