Follow the bouncing bomb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    yea if you're into lag and no trans then go to that server. if you're into heavy and heated competition with professionals then come to BIG/ViO servers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, I have the crazy ball problem too, I didn't have it in 2003. In fact it seems UT2004 has allot of these tiny bugs compared to 2003, shame really.

Actually I prefer playing Bombing Run without translocator at all. You really need to emphasis on teamwork or you're gonna get mashed.

Now, teamwork is also important when you play with the trans, but solo-runs are more effective then in the non-trans variant.

Unfortunatly there are VERY few servers who play this way. I know this LMS server which I used to visit before it got taken down. Everyone in there was a hardcore LMS fan, and then me and another gy proposed a game of BR (no trans). The server was pretty loaded (bout 16 players), and we'd played 3 hours of BR nonstop.

It was great. I think there is too much emphasis on the translocator in Bombing Run, yeah, it might be slower without. But when there are enough people to get a descent populated map, it's just pure fun.

Actually I know a server which still plays like this way.
    Gibgames BR in the 2003 demo.
    It only plays Anubis, there are allot of newbs and it's laggy as ****. But once you've played a bunch of matches you get used to lag and high pings.
    The server has been around eversince UT2003 demo was released, and untill today there are still quite allot of players playing there, in fact I have _never_ saw it without any players. And that's gotta mean something. BR is very underrated IMO.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    actually...

Actually you guys unreal tournament 2003 bombing run is still alive and running better than i've seen it in years. Currently my clan, BIG, runs 2 servers

unreal://server.bigclan.recongamer.com:7777

and

unreal://65.198.191.93:7770

feel free to come and check them out.

Also we don't fear change to our gametype, infact its changed so much with player mods and mutators since the last time i'm sure any of you played unreal 2003. We took the things we liked from ut2004 and put them on the engine we liked, ut2003.

There are so many active clans infact that we hold weekly tournaments hosted by the BIG clan. Please feel free to come check us out and come by and play sometime!

http://bigclan.fragism.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Self-passing is an exploit that destroyed the teamwork that was supposed to be the hallmark of BR. Unlike CTF, the hype went, BR required a team to work together, and wasn't as conducive to solo scoring. Within weeks of public play, however, there was speed-using one-man BR teams, making the game a half-***** CTF varient.

I think the BR community screwed itself, being as hard-***** as they were about any changes to their gametype. Is it any wonder it didn't survive till the present?

Of course, Domination players sort of shrugged and said "yeah, okay," when they heard about then changes in their gametype for 2k3, and look where that got us. Double Domination and empty servers.

Sigh. It's just plain hard to be a fan of the minority gametypes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A locked ball will follow you all around the map till it gets to you. Most likely the ball has either gotten to you already and you xloced away or it hit some terrain. Most likely you couldn't xloc far enough for it to be ineffective.

The joys of BR....There is still a handful of us that still play xloc on 2k4 and 2k3. I know its not so popular but you should all try it out sometime.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm a bit noob at the technical stuff - when you say lock-on lag do you mean the player is exploiting the homing-in ball by staying within range for it to keep locked on, and then xlocing a short distance, not enough for it to lose them? Am i just xlocing too far, or letting terrain get in my way?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by «ßîc»$l@c|<er
    Yeh, another thing that was pretty impressive, was in 2k3, i saw a guy who could toss a bomb, xloc up and grab it, toss it midair, xloc over to it, toss it again, etc. all the way over to the other team's goal. That cant be done in 2k4 though, cause they made it so that your xloc doesnt replenish until you get rid of the ball.
    Self-passers. UT2k4 BR got nerfed because of all the people complaining about this being a supposedly 'unstoppable' tactic, when all it required was some decent anticipation and the ability to have some team players that knew how to defend and weren't goal-hungry glory hunters.

Self passing was a difficult and admirable skill to master, but was stoppable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by «ßîc»$l@c|<er
    That cant be done in 2k4 though, cause they made it so that your xloc doesnt replenish until you get rid of the ball.
    Sure it can, it has to be disabled in webadmin or edit the ut2004.ini.

bBallDrainsTransloc=False

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, this makes me want to play BR! I've literally never touched it since I got UT2004, because I thought it was lame in '2k3. THese tactics sound great, though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeh, another thing that was pretty impressive, was in 2k3, i saw a guy who could toss a bomb, xloc up and grab it, toss it midair, xloc over to it, toss it again, etc. all the way over to the other team's goal. That cant be done in 2k4 though, cause they made it so that your xloc doesnt replenish until you get rid of the ball.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lock-on lag for me, too. The ball does that offline...

Something that impresses me in BR is watching how some players steal the ball when the other team does a pass...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    reading the thread title i thought you meant the bouncing bomb developed by b wallis

but on topic again, it simply sounds like a lock on+lag to me..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Plz tell me too.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Follow the bouncing bomb...

Follow the bouncing bomb...

When playing BR, i sometimes see (especially on big maps like Serenity and Colossus) a passed ball doing some serious aerobatics, even going back on itself, while the targetted player translocates across the map. I've tried doing it myself, but the ball always loses me - how do you master this madness?
Working...
X