WASD verses arrow keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WASD verses arrow keys

I have been playing FPS games for years, starting with the older Jedi Knight II series, Quake III, UT, UT 2004, BF 1942, BF2, tons of them ect..
    I have always used the arrow keys and the mouse.
    Some games let you have both the arrow keys and WASD setup to use at the same time.
    Some do not, and my sons would often change my settings and switch it over to WASD which ****** me off, as I liked the arrow keys.

Well, I guess you are never to old to learn something, I tried WASD last weekend, and will never go back to using the arrow keys again.
    Your hands are very close when using the arrow keys, and it just darn feels more natural having the left hand on the other side of the keyboard using the WASD keys.

Kind of a meaningless post, but just thought I would share this.
    I think I am actually playing a lot better too.

Corey

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=471567

Comment

WASD gives you access to more keys as well to set to things like weapons and **** (without taking your ahnd off the KB)...

Mind you in some games it's getting so there are not even enough there (and I have heard of some people playing even closer to the center of the board)

Comment

Originally posted by Hsoolien
        (and I have heard of some people playing even closer to the center of the board)
        I'm the mythical TFGH player. I also use the legendary Right Mouse Button Jump.

You're in good company now :haha:

Comment

Cool, lots of info in that other post.

I also use the pinky on the left shift button to jump, and the ctrl to crouch.

My mouse buttons for primary & secondary fire are the default ones.
          My MX700 has the two side buttons, and the forward button on the mouse is set for the "holy sh*t" voice taunt, and the other side button is to activate my mic for TeamSpeak.

I really like that button setup for TeamSpeak, I can just hold it down and fire at the same time perfectly.

Comment

i used to use the arrow keys, but when i bought doom 3, it wouldnt let me bind the arrow keys to movement so i had to get used to playing with WASD. then i just got used to it.

Comment

Arrows.

Comment

wasd or even better rdfg or tfgh, the more keys surrounding the better for weaponswitch and other binds

Comment

my friend once used 8UIO.... to jump, Alt, and to crouch, G...

I mean... WTF? :bulb:

I use WASD btw.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Deacon
                    I'm the mythical TFGH player.
                    UIOK. Take that.

I dunno how you guys can stand that inverted T shape...

The rest of my layout for curious freakshow gawkers:

h = crouch
                    g = prone (shield in UT2k4)
                    ; = jump
                    ' = sprint (Flak in UT2k4)
                    SPACE = use
                    ALT = reload
                    B = VOIP
                    Enter = throw weapon
                    Y and P for leaning, if required

Comment

It just comes down to personal preference.

Comment

exactly, started with the arrow keys too back in... tomb raider 1 times... but in that game you needed arrow - control

For about 8 years my preference goes to wasd though

Comment

I use arrow keys in all FPS games. It's just so much easier and more comfortable for me, and I find it much easier to hit numpad keys, editing keys, and other closeby keys like shift and ctrl much easier with the arrow keys are their more organized in groups, unlike wasd where it's just a bunch of keys mashed together.

I do however use wasd for one game, and that's GunZ. Mainly because the game is just impossible to play with arrow keys, for me anyways, and plus it doesn't properly recognise the numpad keys. GunZ is a very very fast pased game with far more button tapping going on than 2k4, mastering the various movement and fighting techniques can be very difficult. This is the only game I've gotten used to using wasd in, but I still have alot of trouble with some fighting styles because of the use of the guard key (shift), I have a hard time hitting it while doing other movements because since theres so much key tapping going on, it's difficult to actually keep your fingers rested on the keys, at least for me, because of this, my pinky doesn't like moving independant of my ring finger and as such, it's difficult to hit the shift key for me. I think I would have the same problem, although not as crippling, in 2k4.

Comment

WASD, ESDF, or RDFG are much better. Personally I use RDFG That way I have even more keys close by, and I hit the spacebar in the middle, so it doesn't go all lopsided. (happened ot my old keyboard, one of the 2 springy things in the spacebar broke so it was lopsided and hardly worked)

Comment

the arrows keys. it gives me nice access to both jump and crouch.

Comment

Working...
                              X