Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unreal Engine 3 license costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 3 license costs?

Just curious, but anyone know how much a Unreal Engine 3 license costs? I imagine it is probablly in the 7 figure range without royalty considering UE2 is $750,000.

It's almost hard to believe that even with this price tag quite a few companies are better off licensing UE3 than creating their own technology, isn't it?

Comment

Crap, I thought it was only 300k o.o

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealPlayer
        Crap, I thought it was only 300k o.o
        IIRC the UE2 was, but there are different packages you can buy. Generally the more expensive the package you buy, the more support you get from Epic. The idea is with the cheapest package you just buy the rights to use the engine and get the full source code to play with and a few hours of support from Epic, and with the most expensive package they're practically always available to answer any questions you might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Kr4zed
          It's almost hard to believe that even with this price tag quite a few companies are better off licensing UE3 than creating their own technology, isn't it?
          Not really, the cost in terms of time and programmers (4 programmers at 3 years would cost about that much) is much greater.
          Originally posted by Boksha
          IIRC the UE2 was, but there are different packages you can buy. Generally the more expensive the package you buy, the more support you get from Epic. The idea is with the cheapest package you just buy the rights to use the engine and get the full source code to play with and a few hours of support from Epic, and with the most expensive package they're practically always available to answer any questions you might have.
          afaik it has to do with royalites, if you pay the $350,000 price you have to pay royalties to Epic, but with the full $750,000 tag you don't. You get the same amount of support and source code either way.

Comment

"Extremely affordable" , thats what Epic said on some PS3 meeting (IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
              afaik it has to do with royalites, if you pay the $350,000 price you have to pay royalties to Epic, but with the full $750,000 tag you don't. You get the same amount of support and source code either way.
              Could be, it's been a while since I last saw anything about different packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                That's how I remember it, although I probably heard it from you in the first place.

Comment

Reality engine was cheap and better... but Epic bought it :sour:

Comment

Originally posted by eon5
                    Better in what way?

BTW: Ya angelmapper is right. The couple of hours of support theory is a bit retarded no?

Comment

Originally posted by eon5
                      \o/

Comment

*Pinky goes to mouth*

One hundred, billion dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentZero
                          "Extremely affordable" , thats what Epic said on some PS3 meeting (IIRC).
                          They could be dropping the "no royalties" option and lower the cost for the basic offer.
                          That would be more affordable for small devs even if that means less profit from a sold game.

mmm i really need to stop using the conditionnal all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Smood
                            BTW: Ya angelmapper is right. The couple of hours of support theory is a bit retarded no?
                            Actually I'm pretty sure there has been an engine where the price of the package bought influenced the amount of support you got with it. Could've been the UE1 or the Serious Sam engine, not sure.

Comment

sounds like a bargin to me, Ill take 2!

Comment

Working...
                              X