Major computer problem: Moniter won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major computer problem: Moniter won't turn on

Well, it seems this is the only reason i even come around any more, but once again, i have computer trouble. This one is a fun one, it's not just one of those lame "this is kinda annoying" problems. o no. This, is a good one. My moniter refuses to work. I turned it on this morning (after leaving my computer off for a few days because i was away) and after checking my email it froze up. I restarted it, and this time the moniter didn't turn on. The computer is still working, i managed to log in, but i can't see anything. Sometime today i will test with a different moniter, because i'm not sure if it's the moniter or the computer. When i disconnect the moniter for the computer, it says that there is 'no input' on the screen, so it's not a problem in the cord. Any insight into this (and how to fix this) would be greatly appreciated. I managed to play Ut2004 with a broken arm, but i think playing blind is a little above my abilities.

O also, the moniter has it's yellow light on (the one it has when my computer is off but my moniter is on)

Start Windows in safe mode. If it helps it is obviously a refresh rate that your monitor cannot handle.

Comment

i read this thread to find out which Super Computer you were playing UT on...

Comment

update

i tested it on one of my old moniters (way old) and it works fine (well, it went screwy at first from being old, but it's find now, though really low resolution) so it seems to be a problem with my moniter.

Comment

Did you change the refresh rate as was suggested?

What was the result? If it was simply a refresh rate issue, it's quite possible that there's nothing wrong with your monitor.

Comment

the refresh rate is at 60hz, and i hadn't changed it before it stopped working.

while we're on the subject of my broken computer, for a long time it's been freezing up for a couple seconds for no real reason. It's a pain for playing games. i'm not sure if that was the moniter or the computer, but i think it's the computer. Because the sounds froze too, and it usually happened when i was stressing my computer's limits (anytime i play unreal tournament, or open a bunch of windows at once)

Comment

This might not help at all but if the computer seems to work yet the monitor indicates it is not talking to the PC (the light color as when the monitor is on yet the PC is off) then perhaps check the video card itself. Running to hot, system running to hot, actual damage to the card from doing so for a long period of time, etc is what I was thinking.

I am sure it is not the issue since you say an old monitor at a less than great resolution works but it would be worth rulling out.

Comment

Possibly your video card. If you have a spare lying round, try putting that in and playing for a while. If your monitor works, and playing is fine, then I'd say there's as pretty good chance that it's your video card.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I'd wager the monitor's broken.

Comment

"Your crazy."

There, but you could be right. I just thought it would be a good idea to rule out the vid card as well.

Comment

If your monitor cable isnt fixed to the monitor you could change it, might be only the cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X