Where is the community?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the community?

I just started ut2k4, been playing other fps games for a long time now. What irc server/channels are big ones? How can you one find 1v1's? I checked the faq, but maybe not hard enough. Thanks.

Re: Where is the community?

Depends a bit on where you are from

www.unrealnorth.com is a good place to start anyways ^^

Comment

unreal north is a great place for 1on1 demos.

i think the biggest forum for ut2k4 is here at Atari. you can check out some other sites though like beyond unreal and planet unreal.

Comment

If you're American, try the Cain's Lair forums. If you're Euro, try us.

Comment

Originally posted by JJd2sc
          Where is the community?
          B!tching about TAM, Newnet and 1600dpi Mice on forums.

Comment

www.prounreal.com

The community there is second to none......awesome, helpful, friendly and more than willing to help any beginner to experienced person!!!

I give them :up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Sm@ck
              www.prounreal.com awesome, helpful, friendly and more than willing to help
              Did I miss something???

Comment

Spooky. I think I just read a post from a parallel universe where the ProUnreal crew is awesome, helpful, friendly and more than willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by moppel
                  Spooky. I think I just read a post from a parallel universe where the ProUnreal crew is awesome, helpful, friendly and more than willing to help.
                  Sm@ck is a funny person:

Look, he wears the gb2ina CT and then look at the first 5 posts in this thread started by Sm@ck:

http://prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60742

EDIT:
                  No, look at all posts, it's so f****ng amusing seeing these little kids playing "professionals".

Comment

Slainchild pretty much summed it up

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef
                      http://prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60742
                      LOL! :haha: Thats even more funny then the Onslaught haven forums. :up:

Did I say funny? I meant disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sm@ck
                        www.prounreal.com

The community there is second to none......awesome, helpful, friendly and more than willing to help any beginner to experienced person!!!

I give them :up: :up:
                        :haha: :haha: :haha:
                        I'm guessing that's sarcasm...
                        Don't go there, post there and I bet the first post will be...GB2INA.

Btw...Who locked the "UT2007 and teh "Pro" community" thread? You or a mod?

Comment

depends on which community it is.... the american or europen, and if its tdm, tam*host*sucks*host*, ctf or what it is

atleast as said unrealnorth is a nice place to go if you like tdm and 1v1 which is its main focus.

there aint really any other places thats good imo (no not even this forum since its filled with ppl that play public and think they know every aspect of this game(no offence))

hope you enjoy your stay with ut2k4

Comment

I appreciate the responses so far. Ive been really used to forums/irc driving the games ive made my stay in. Im going to check out the aforementioned links. One of my questions is this... Whenever i query servers and go to tdm or just plain deathmatch, i dont see that many low pinged servers with players. Is there an irc community that hosts private games? How can I quickly find a good game to play?

Sorry for all the questions, but im really enjoying the game so far :X

Comment

If you're in North America, you might want to try the forums over at <www.beyondunreal.com>. They have weekly get togethers that they call FragBUs (short for Frag Bash Ups). It's mainly a for fun community filled with very nice, helpful people that will be happy to get you pointed in the right direction in terms of learning the game.

Another good community to check out is at <www.unrealplayground.com>. I haven't posted there or played much on their servers since back in UT'99, but back then they tended to be more of a custom map community. However, they've also done things like hosting their own draft leagues, etc., so it's probably well worth checking out. There again the emphasis is more on fun, and a lot of the people who post on their forums also pub on their servers.

If you get to a point where you're dominating most pubs that you're on and want to test the waters in the competitive community, you can check out #2k4ctf & #2k4tdm on <irc.enterthegame.com>. That's where the North American competitive community hangs out, and that's where you'll get in the highest quality pugs, and where you can get your butt seriously stomped in a 1v1 if that's what you're looking for.

ProUnreal.com is where the competitive community congregates in terms of a forum, but as people alluded to above, a lot of the people there appear to be in a permanently bad mood and have very little tolerance for what they consider to be n00bie questions or posts. Honestly, though, even though I generally try to be a nice person, I was one of those who asked Smack to shut the hell up, as he was indeed being seriously annoying.

@ one of the people above, what was the comment about ONS Haven? That hasn't been up for 8+ months now, and from what I've heard, things are quite a bit scarier at ONS Central, which was the site that popped up after I shut down ONS Haven. I've never actually looked at it, but occasionally I hear about something there from some of the guys I used to know from ONS. I tried hard to keep ONS Haven as civil as possible, but sounds like I failed pretty miserably if people are remembering it as something almost as bad as ProU.

Oh, and re: your question about servers, make sure you uncheck "Show Standard Servers Only" in the server window. That handy little "feature" that's checked by default restricts the number of servers you'll see by about 60% or more, including all of the servers running UTComp, which is the competition mod that's used by all ladders & competitions.

After you uncheck "Show Standard Servers Only" (I quote that, but I think my wording is off a bit ) you'll probably then want to go into the filters and filter out Big Head, Quad Jump, Low Grav, blah, blah, blah (unless you like that stuff, of course).

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X