• Show
Clear All

ATI Cat 5.7

Anyone tried out the 5.7 drivers with UT04

no, have you?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yes, I use the bigger package with the Control Panel.
        They work great.

Here are my specs:
        P4 2.4C chip OC'd to 3.12 MHz
        512 PC3200 RAM
        ATI 9600 Pro
        Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
        Dell 2005 FPW 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor

I can not really tell any difference between 5.6 and these, but the game looks flawless running either at 1024x768, or in widescreen mode at 1680x1050.

If you do not need the Control Panel for extra tweeks such as using a TV tuner card and TV output to a TV, I would stick with the regular 5.7 drivers, and not the ones with the bigger Control Panel.
        It uses more memory when running, but I always shut down all uneeded processes anway when gaming.

Many however prefer the Omega drivers, and they are upto 5.7 now.
        http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13985077

They are tweaked Cat drivers, but do not include the CP.
        I have never tried these myself, but gamers swear by them.
        Corey

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyT
          I would stick with the regular 5.7 drivers, and not the ones with the bigger Control Panel.
          It uses more memory when running, but I always shut down all uneeded processes anway when gaming.
          Windows starts up slower too.

Comment

yes i did. well actually the omega drivers but they are just aati drivers tweaked (version 5.7), and they work awsome. much better than org ati drivers and much easier to set up and change settings. after putting in new drivers all freeze up stoped and also now can use much higher settings.

vlp

Comment

So, you'd recommend removing Cat 5.7 & installing the Omega 5.7 instead?
              I just got a new Rad x700agp 256mb the other day, & UT's not running nearly as nicely as I should have hoped after the upgrade.

TBH, I can't tell any difference between the 5.7 Cat drivers & the Cat 5.3 drivers that came on the disk..

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim
                I just got a new Rad x700agp 256mb the other day, & UT's not running nearly as nicely as I should have hoped after the upgrade.

TBH, I can't tell any difference between the 5.7 Cat drivers & the Cat 5.3 drivers that came on the disk..
                My opinion is quite the opposite. I have an ATI AIW 9800 128mb card and was using the omega's. I have never ever ( 1 year or more ) been able to run my system on all high settings or have it look awesome. I uninstallled the Omega's and installed the ATI ones and it works flawlessly. Game looks great for the first time......so all in all ....just try both and see which ones you get the best performance with.

hf.

Comment

It's because UT2k4 engine is allo CPU depende, so basicly ur proccesor is the bottleneck ( and yes even with an 3ghz it is )

Nice engine huh? ut2 :P

Comment

Cheers, some varying PoV's, I'll try them both then.

If for some unexpected reason I do find any benefits from using the Omegas, I'll make sure to post a reply to let others know.

*EDIT*
                    It's because UT2k4 engine is allo CPU depende, so basicly ur proccesor is the bottleneck ( and yes even with an 3ghz it is )
                    Yup, in my case the cpu is definately a bottleneck (athlon 1.3gz), but still, I'd expected to be able to tell the difference between the beefy 256mb Rad, & the sheisty PCI FX5200 128 I had before.

Comment

Cheers, some varying PoV's, I'll try them both then.

If for some unexpected reason I do find any benefits from using the Omegas, I'll make sure to post a reply to let others know.

*EDIT*

Yup, in my case the cpu is definately a bottleneck (athlon 1.3gz), but still, I'd expected to be able to tell the difference between the beefy 256mb Rad, & the sheisty PCI FX5200 128 I had before.
                      Uhm no? ur 1.3ghz is way to bottleneck to tell any diffrends , even an 5200 makes better preformans and fps then ur proccesor in ut2k4.
                      Other words, if u buy a 3ghz+ u will see alot of preformans boost, and not just a littlebit.

Comment

Originally posted by ^ngelus
                        Uhm no? ur 1.3ghz is way to bottleneck to tell any diffrends , even an 5200 makes better preformans and fps then ur proccesor in ut2k4.
                        Other words, if u buy a 3ghz+ u will see alot of preformans boost, and not just a littlebit.
                        This is true. My old system was a 1.6Ghz P4 and a MX420 card. First I upgraded to my current 9800 pro, which sent my roaring 25fps to a screaming 30fps. Then i upgraded my 1.6Ghz to a 3Ghz and now my fps rarely drops beneath 60.

The point: upgrade the processor. Always. I'll bet 2k7 is going to be the same way. More processor dependant, I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by DJMattB2421
                          I'll bet 2k7 is going to be the same way. More processor dependant, I mean.
                          Erm pls god no, i hope it's not but i think ur right. with the dual cores comming up and only 30% boosts... i really hope not, and besides.. the GPU's are faster these days then the preformens of a CPU in Games.

**** kinda sucks huh? to be right? sometimes

Comment

I tried to use the 5.7's, but they cause DirectX problems (DirectDraw misisng). Three times I tried and couldn't get it to install properly. And this was off clean installs with proper reboots (which is what I normally do).

Clean installed back to 5.6 and everything was fien again. Go figure.

Comment

Thanks for all the post, i personally find them a bit slower then even the 4.9 drivers

Comment

Working...
                              X