This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing items: Legitimate, or cheap?

I know I'm likely to start a flame war here, which I certainly hope to hell I do not, this is more for a survey.

And the question is simple:

Do you believe timing items is a cheap tactic that takes away from the skill of pure fragging, or do you believe it's a perfectly acceptable strategy to help you gain tactical advantages? In short, what's your belief on timing items--yay or nay?

Please state your opinion, along with reasons to back it up. None of "not timing si 4 n00bie fagz cuz i say so!!!!". And if this erupts into a flame war, I'm sorry I brought it up.

It is only cheap if the person in question is playing in a match far below his or her level. Then, it is not the tactic employed so much as the individual's behavior that is "cheap."

Sorry to be terse in spite of your request, but that's all I want to say.

Comment

As it is, timing is a part of the game and it's done in (hopefully) ALL clanned games.
      I'd rather see the game without the need for boring addition and substraction tho', for example with announced spawntimes.

Comment

well its obviously a skill a lot of players havent mastered yet. So no, i dont think its cheap, its the same as practising jumps, aim, prediction, whatever, its part of tactical playing when you start focussing a bit more on powerups than just on your opponent.

Comment

I wouldn't call the act of adding 5 seconds to the timer when you pick up the armour part of tactical playing. It's a skill so far as that you actually have to remember to do it. Still it's not hard, it's tedious, and it IMO doesn't add much to the game.
          The part where skill comes in is actually securing the powerup area right before the powerup spawns. (which isn't as easy as it sounds especially if your opponents are similarly stocked and also know when the powerup will spawn)
          I agree it's certainly not cheap though. In fact it's quite unavoidable the way the game is now.

Comment

Cheap. I think the powerups should spawn at random times. I mean, come on! These people sit there with a little stop watch in their hand and wait 27.5 seconds or whatever long it is. I think it should be a bannable offence, because you are getting help ingame from an external source (the stopwatch), just like a cheat. Flame away.

Comment

Too me, timing removed me from all 1on1 or low player game. I hate timing, but since Team Arena Master is there I dont need to complain.

So, thats not that hard

However I do think its cheap. In a 1on1, if im very skilled compared to the other player (he could still know how to dodge double dodge and all) but Im realy bad at timing and he is realy good, he will win. im sorry, but too me it sound stupid. But its not everyone's opinion, and since TAM is there I can play TAM instead. So no one should complain.

Im not against anyone by the way.

Comment

Timing power-ups is an integral part of the game. Some like to call it a skill but I suppose they don't play much RTS to consider timing a few things simultaneously a "skill", and there is even a clock on the HUD.

Personally I find it boring to do in an FPS, and I only do it for "proper" clan matches in TDM and ONS. (not that I play much TDM in Ut2004 anyway).

Personally I think they should have, like Boksha said, annoucements. Or at the very least, take the 1.1 speed into account and make it so the times are multiples of 15 instead of 13.5 (or whatever it is). That would make it less boring and tedious. If something in a game is tedious, then there is something wrong.

Slightly Off-Topic: Replacing the 100A with a recharge station (usable at the same time interval) that can be used for x seconds (thus exposing you to fire if you want to use it) is better imo. But then that is about the 100A and not about timing.

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                  Slightly Off-Topic: Replacing the 100A with a recharge station (usable at the same time interval) that can be used for x seconds (thus exposing you to fire if you want to use it) is better imo. But then that is about the 100A and not about timing.
                  DM-Healpod][...ah, yes, those were the days...

Comment

Originally posted by ll0rt
                    I think it should be a bannable offence, because you are getting help ingame from an external source (the stopwatch), just like a cheat. Flame away.

Comment

Originally posted by =XM=
                      Personally, as much as I love Half-Life, that was a bad idea in the game. Granted, yours could be a lot different, I dislike the idea of recharging stations entirely.

Slightly On-Topic: I don't like how people have to time to win, and how much of an advantage they get if they do. DarkSaber released a mutator that randomized pickup times, which I think should be more widely used. But then again, the powerups would spawn by you by luck, which is no better than by unfair skill.

Kill the 100A!

Comment

Terminus - you already know what I think

It takes away the skill of pure fragging (TRUE) - taken directly from your post
                        I time my powerups, but I don't like doing it (because of reason above), I am FORCED to do it because I will do anything that will get me the upper hand, except aimbots and such (ovisly).

I think instead of 1 big super shield in one place...there should be like THREE shields SPREAD OUT evenly across the map that add up to 150. It would help balance the game.

I don't like the idea of having to remember the numbers and looking at the clock in a hardcore fragfest and in a fast-paced FPS like UT.

Comment

Originally posted by ll0rt
                          Cheap. I think the powerups should spawn at random times. I mean, come on! These people sit there with a little stop watch in their hand and wait 27.5 seconds or whatever long it is. I think it should be a bannable offence, because you are getting help ingame from an external source (the stopwatch), just like a cheat. Flame away.
                          ROFL

Originally posted by Meroin
                          unfair skill.
                          So knowing how to add 5 and remembering a simple number is an unfair skill? I'm sorry if you didn't go to elementary school.

Comment

It is ridicolous calling it cheap.

many thinks that timing 100a make the difference between pro and nooba. After that you would proberbly complain about health packs and vials and we will end up with instagib. Idd it is boring to time, but if you are playing ffa dont mind and just frag for fun.
                            Oh and btw I have won many 1on1 without timing but just by knowing that the 100a would spawn at some time.
                            It adds a extra element to the game. Not by looking at the clock, but about deciding if you should go for it or not. You can risk your life or you can end up with the upperhand and the control. If it was only about fragging you could be sure I wouldnt be playing it anymore.

Comment

The game is more than fragging skill.

Comment

Working...
                              X