Another MX518 Thread! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another MX518 Thread! :D

I was considering getting an MX518 or MX510. I just have a couple questions.

I currently use a Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 ...would an MX518 be a better option?

Does a good mouse really help your aim and such?

What type of surfaces work well with these mice?

Does it take awhile to get used to the feel of the mouse?

These might be n00bish questions, but I would really like answers for them. Thanks UT community.

Well considering you have a wireless mouse, either the mx510 or mx518 would be a great improvement. I don't think you'll notice a difference in your aim going from the 510 to the 518, especially on low sensitivity.

Surface is always a preference. Some people like to play on their smooth wooden desk surface, some people like slick plastic mouse pads, and some people like cloth pads (like me). It all comes to preference.

It shouldn't take you that long to get used to the mouse. It took me like a day to get used to my diamondback coming from an mx510 and those two are very different when it comes to ergonomics.

Comment

Re: Another MX518 Thread!

Originally posted by Drunk Penguin
      I was considering getting an MX518 or MX510. I just have a couple questions.

I currently use a Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 ...would an MX518 be a better option?

Does a good mouse really help your aim and such?

What type of surfaces work well with these mice?

Does it take awhile to get used to the feel of the mouse?

These might be n00bish questions, but I would really like answers for them. Thanks UT community.
      Hell yes.

Yes.

Anything flat and dark that isn't covered in shards of broken glass or pudding.

Yes.

Comment

Re: Re: Another MX518 Thread!

Originally posted by Logy
        Hell yes.

Yes.

Anything flat and dark that isn't covered in shards of broken glass or pudding.

Yes.
        Word. Although pudding works better than one would think.

Comment

Dark surfaces work best with all optical mice, but most gaming mice can work with any non-reflective surface, so what kind of texture to use is entirely up to you.
          If you like you can get a cutting mat. It's suitable, cheap and lasts forever.

Comment

I should also point out that getting a better mouse will not automatically result in you becoming a better player.

Like all performance-enhancing hardware upgrades, it will simply allow you to play to your full potential. If you're a spastic, uncoordinated wretch, an MX518 will merely convert your real-life spasms to in-game spasms more precisely.

However, if you find yourself noticing that your mouse isn't keeping up with your movements, or going off in random directions when you move too quickly, then you should probably consider an upgrade. It's hard enough to fight your in-game enemies. Fighting your mouse at the same time is just unnecessary frustration.

Comment

Furthermore it should be mentioned that getting good with crappy hardware is also not impossible.
              As for the notion that getting better hardware may not improve your play: I've had consistent accuracy in UT2k3 with a ball-mouse for quite some time. It got worse when I got an MX300, then came back to it's old level (although getting that MX300 did save me a LOT of frustration that comes with ball-mice and, I learned later, a lot of other trouble that comes with cheap optical mice) and even with an MX510 my aim has remained more or less constant until a month or so ago, and that didn't have anything to with hardware either.

Comment

Originally posted by Logy
                I should also point out that getting a better mouse will not automatically result in you becoming a better player.

Like all performance-enhancing hardware upgrades, it will simply allow you to play to your full potential. If you're a spastic, uncoordinated wretch, an MX518 will merely convert your real-life spasms to in-game spasms more precisely.

However, if you find yourself noticing that your mouse isn't keeping up with your movements, or going off in random directions when you move too quickly, then you should probably consider an upgrade. It's hard enough to fight your in-game enemies. Fighting your mouse at the same time is just unnecessary frustration.
                Nah, Im a pretty good shot. Ask anyone thats played me. Most of my kills come from Shock primary. However, sometimes my mouse feels a bit slow. And I should be able to spin around faster than I do, even though Im playing at a sensitivity of 2.

Comment

I just got a 518 and I freakin' love it... mainly for the ergonomics and the extra buttons, though. I'm using the default M$ drivers.

While I was getting fancy I also picked up an Allsop metal art mousepad and that little sumbitch just rocks! The surface is nice and fast, and the heavy metal frame has rubber treading on the bottom so when you put it somewhere it stays there. It's only 15 bucks (US) but given the construction it'll probably easily last 4x longer than a 4 dollar foam pad. :up:

I don't think any of that stuff is going to send your accuracy through the roof except via the placebo effect... but it's nice stuff, I'm plenty happy with my recent purchaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Discord
                    I just got a 518 and I freakin' love it... mainly for the ergonomics and the extra buttons, though. I'm using the default M$ drivers.

While I was getting fancy I also picked up an Allsop metal art mousepad and that little sumbitch just rocks! The surface is nice and fast, and the heavy metal frame has rubber treading on the bottom so when you put it somewhere it stays there. It's only 15 bucks (US) but given the construction it'll probably easily last 4x longer than a 4 dollar foam pad. :up:

I don't think any of that stuff is going to send your accuracy through the roof except via the placebo effect... but it's nice stuff, I'm plenty happy with my recent purchaces.
                    The placebo affect? And like I said, my aim is pretty good, but it could be alot better, and the 300 dpi mouse I have no isn't quite cutting it.

Comment

Lower dpi is meant to be used with lower resolution. Try your 300 dpi mouse at 800x600.

Comment

Originally posted by DaniFilth
                        Lower dpi is meant to be used with lower resolution. Try your 300 dpi mouse at 800x600.
                        Thats what I have it set at.

Comment

Well considering you have a wireless mouse, either the mx510 or mx518 would be a great improvement.

Yes compared to a old m$ wireless it would indeed. But consider comparing with modern mice and there is little or no differance.

The wireless = lag myth have valid claims in that old mice lag, sometimes so much even a hunt and peck user can notice it. However this has changed, however a myth seldomly change.

Lower DPI isn't "better" for low resolutions it's simply not that easy to notice. A 1600 DPI mouse still works better than a 300 DPI one at 800x600. But you need to turn the mouse sensitivity way down or the cursor will fly out of controll.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™

Yes compared to a old m$ wireless it would indeed. But consider comparing with modern mice and there is little or no differance.

The wireless = lag myth have valid claims in that old mice lag, sometimes so much even a hunt and peck user can notice it. However this has changed, however a myth seldomly change.
                            Well, I know you use an mx1000, and I've never used it myself, but I've heard that every time you lift the mouse the laser needs to recalibrate giving you a 2 second mouse lag. That being said, I think wired mice are still the better choice for gaming, but it's great if you like the mx1000.

Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
                            Lower DPI isn't "better" for low resolutions it's simply not that easy to notice. A 1600 DPI mouse still works better than a 300 DPI one at 800x600. But you need to turn the mouse sensitivity way down or the cursor will fly out of controll.
                            I know, I was just saying that his mouse would work better at lower resolutions, and when I say better I mean better than at higher resolutions, not better than higher dpi mice.

Comment

I've heard that every time you lift the mouse the laser needs to recalibrate giving you a 2 second mouse lag.[/B]
                              More like 0.5 second. And it's not a recalibration it's the simple fact that you removed it from the surface. And all optical mice tracks motion by comparing before and after pictures. If it have to reference it cant track motion. The laser also cuts out to save battery. It re-lights as soon as the mouse is close enough to a surface though.

If you lift it 2cm~ or less it still keeps traction. Not great but it doesn't cut out. At about a 1/2 cm it keeps perfect traction.

If you frequently lift your mouse 2cm< you should get a bigger desk/mousepad or higher your sensitivity.

If I ever got cought lifting my mouse in a UT2004 match in the middle of a fight I would expect to end up dead.

Well, I know you use an mx1000, and I've never used it myself,
                              That being said, I think wired mice are still the better choice for gaming,
                              So you admit to not even trying the thing but still judge that it's inferior to wired mice? Oh the hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                              X