[OT]Someone explain me the soundcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT]Someone explain me the soundcards

Well after my "someone explain me the vidcards" thread, i bought the nvidea xfx 6600 GT, and im happy with it!

This time its time for a soundcard. (Ofcourse im gonna play ut2004 (so it still is a bit on topic.)

I got a pci slot.
    I need a 7.1 soundcard, that is all i know, bc it has to be compatible with the headset i receive.

Things i would like to know?

1.Live! , Audigy ? Difference?
    2.Creative or some other unknown brand, much difference?
    3.I notice in the shop lists i see a lot of external sound cards? why? etc...
    4. 5.1 / 7.1 heh?

I am a total newb at this, plz enlighten me and maybe the very few others who are newbs in this to.

Thank you in advance!

edit: i need a 7.1 soudcard for the 5.1 headset:bulb: :weird:

=\ Well, Audigy 2 ZS is top of the lign for SoundBlasters still I believe, and you should be able to get it on newegg for about $90 or less, I havn't checked in a while. Good alternatives inlude Turtle Beach cards and M-Audio cards, their midrange and high end card should be 7.1 capable, and also they offer some other features I believe, not sure.

Any of those should provide very good audio at 7.1, and all should be <$100.

Comment

if you compare the basic 24-bit SB live to the top of the line (audigy 4 pro) there isnt much difference when it comes to the hardware, except a lot more interfaces to plug things into, more options/enhancements using software.

but the core of both sound cards is basically the same.

they are both 24-bit advanced hd.
      if all you want is really good sound for your games and applications, you cant go wrong with the LIVE 24-bit version, now if you want to show off and you are into music recording/editing and want the front deck add-on, remote control, and all that stuff, then go for the audigy series.

Soundblaster comparison sheet

Comment

Personally I wouldn't spend more than thirty or forty bucks on a soundcard. You can get quite a few 5.1 or better soundcards for that, from Creative, Turtle Beach and others. I've never gotten anything but excellent sound from any Soundblaster Live! I've had, they go for around that much.

But if you want to be one of those uber audiophile types, hey spend all you want. It's your money.

Comment

get an audigy 2 zs. with it you can use eax in ut2004, u can get the oem version on newegg for $70. lets hope you dont have the stupid ****ing eax and voicechat "bug"

Comment

Well i was thinkin at the followin one, main reason bc i only can choose in most local stores between this one and the SoundBlaster Live! 24 bit 7.1 bulk. The Audigy has a firewire (which i still dont have (: and could use a lot).

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS NL Bulk
            Hardware Soundcard

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with THX certification is the perfect choice for high-impact surround sound up to 7.1. Its 24-bit ADVANCED HD engine delivers stunning 7.1 surround audio in games and movies and supports Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES. There's also the exclusive THX Console for precise speaker calibration. Music lovers will appreciate its compatibility with DVD-Audio at 24-bit/192kHz in stereo and 24-bit/96kHz in 5.1, with 108dB SNR on all channels, Windows Media 9 compliance and CMSS 3D, which up-mixes stereo audio to 7.1. The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS comes with Creative MediaSource 2 for digital audio playback, library creation and management. Musicians will also benefit from its true 24-bit/96kHz recording and low-latency ASIO 2.0 support.

Product Description Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - sound card
            Device Type Sound card
            Enclosure Type Plug-in card
            Interface Type PCI
            Signal Processor Creative Audigy 2 ZS
            Sound Output Mode 7.1 channel surround
            DAC Data Width 24-bit
            Sample Rate 8 kHz (min) - 192 kHz (max)
            Max Speakers Qty 8
            Package Type Bulk
            System Requirements Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP

Details

General
            Device Type Sound card
            Enclosure Type Plug-in card
            Interface Type PCI
            Expansion / Connectivity
            Interfaces 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
            1 x audio - line-out (centre/subwoofer/left surround) - mini-phone 3.5 mm 4-pole
            1 x audio - line-out (rear/right surround) - mini-phone 3.5 mm 4-pole
            1 x audio - line-out/headphones - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
            1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm
            1 x audio - line-In - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
            1 x audio - SPDIF output - 2 PIN Digital Audio
            2 x audio - line-In - 4 PIN MPC
            1 x audio - TAD - 4 PIN MPC
            Miscellaneous
            Package Type Bulk
            Software / System Requirements
            OS Required Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP
            Audio Output
            Sound Output Mode 7.1 channel surround
            Sound Synthesis Method Wavetable
            DAC Data Width 24-bit
            Sample Rate 8 kHz (min) - 192 kHz (max)
            Voice Poliphony Qty 64
            MIDI Channels Qty 32
            Response Bandwidth 10 - 46000 Hz
            Max Speakers Qty 8
            Features WMA compatible, Bass Boost, Audio Clean-Up, Smart Volume Management (SVM), EAX ADVANCED HD, Creative Multi Speaker Surround (CMSS), MP3 decoding, THX certified, Advanced Resolution DVD-Audio
            Compliant Standards Sound Blaster, DirectSound, DirectSound3D, General MIDI, Dolby Digital 5.1, EAX, Dolby Digital EX, ASIO 2.0, THX, OpenAL, Digital Theater Systems Extended Surround (DTS-ES), EAX ADVANCED HD
            Processor / Memory
            Signal Processor Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Price: € 66.00

What i really would like to know is , what do they mean with 7.1 and 5.1 and why do i need a 7.1 soundcard for a medusa speedlink 5.1 headset? That confuses me.

And if i understand correctly, the 7.1 is just the newer line of soundcards which just have some extra stuff but not "better" sound?

Comment

Originally posted by mr bubble
              And if i understand correctly, the 7.1 is just the newer line of soundcards which just have some extra stuff but not "better" sound?
              7.1 just means that there are 7 speakers including a subwoofer.
              2 front speakers
              2 side speakers
              2 rear speakers
              1 central subwoofer

5.1 is the same only without the side speakers

and thanks for making this thread.. i was too lazy to make my own

Comment

Audigy 2 ZS....

$61.00 and Free shipping..

http://www.nt-micro.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=9662

Comment

I was looking to ditch Creative's bloatware drivers and stumbled upon the HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold. It gives me hardware encoded Dolby Digital Live output straight to my Z-5500 speakers, so now I get surround sound goodness from all my games. This is the card for people recently upgraded to nForce4 from their original nForce with SoundStorm and who are missing their 5.1 dobly digital output. A little pricey and not flawless, but it sounds great and again, dolby digital surround sound output from all your games. Review

Comment

Originally posted by LordJaffa
                    7.1 just means that there are 7 speakers including a subwoofer.
                    Actually its 7 speakers PLUS a sub woofer. Left Front, Left Center, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Center, Right Rear, Center Channel, and a separate sub-woofer. But yes, it is the same thing as 5.1 just with an extra speaker added on each side and unless you are playing content specifically encoded for 7.1 (and practically nothing is) those extra speakers will just be clones of the two front speakers making 7.1 of dubious value over 5.1 speakers.

Comment

I would say anybody who wants a soundcard for gaming shouldn't bother with anything more than soundblaster live.

If you wanna get audigy blah blah blah i would presume you dabble in music.

If you dont even own a midi keyboard you should probably stick to onboard sound. most onboard come with 5.1 surround.

If your headset supports 5.1 why do you think you need to get 7.1

Surround is useless unless set up correctly so if you go and blow $120 + on sound card , speakers, amp & cables plz plz plz make the perfectly set up for it e.g. speakers on pedalstals

You better have more money than sense or into music and if you were into music i dont think you would be asking this.

sorry if i com across as a troll bad day

Comment

Originally posted by Killavirus
                        I would say anybody who wants a soundcard for gaming shouldn't bother with anything more than soundblaster live.

If you wanna get audigy blah blah blah i would presume you dabble in music.

If you dont even own a midi keyboard you should probably stick to onboard sound. most onboard come with 5.1 surround.

If your headset supports 5.1 why do you think you need to get 7.1

Surround is useless unless set up correctly so if you go and blow $120 + on sound card , speakers, amp & cables plz plz plz make the perfectly set up for it e.g. speakers on pedalstals

I don't got onboard 5.1.
                        I need 7.1 to make the headset work. Their is also a version of the the headset that works with 5.1 but that is not the one i get. Why i need 7.1 dunno, hoped some could explain that to me.
                        Why atm i think i prefer that audigy, bc it has firewire, something i still don't have and would be quite handy for the network i am on. I could ofcourse buy the !live (as it seems more then good enough if i am not in music right?), but then i should buy seperate the firewire, and after looking into my comp i don't think it would be easy to make that happen.
                        Just gathering some information about the soundcards. I am a total newb at it and all info is appreciated.

Comment

hmm ok i understand now.

What doesnt work with 5.1 most 7.1 products should be fully compatible with 5.1
                          (what errors do you get?)

***** monopolys !!!!!

well just go for a cheapish card if i were you because it would be money out of the window otherwise.

yeah firewire seperate is always a good idea I have a relativley good sound card myself (music freak), and i dont think i would start plugging external devices into my card i got a seperate card for that.

but im paranoid

Comment

Working...
                          X