Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I Play on 56k

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    i've heard alot of ppl on the forums talking about instagib.... but what the hell is it?

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Amish_Refugee
      lol

      you should be fine with 56k just avoid instagib like the plague
      instagib is the easiest gametype to play on dialup... well i find it is anyway, am i weird?

      i cant stand playing most toher gametypes, they are too spammy for the delayed movement and weapons, ends up the never ending cycle of spawn, take 2 steps and die.

      and mario, instagib is gametype with only shock rifles that are 1 hit instant kill. comes as dm, ctf, or basically any other gametype you can think of, but the first 2 are the most popular.

      Comment


        #18
        k thanks

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by ChookWoods
          instagib is the easiest gametype to play on dialup... well i find it is anyway, am i weird?

          i cant stand playing most toher gametypes, they are too spammy for the delayed movement and weapons, ends up the never ending cycle of spawn, take 2 steps and die.

          and mario, instagib is gametype with only shock rifles that are 1 hit instant kill. comes as dm, ctf, or basically any other gametype you can think of, but the first 2 are the most popular.
          I'm on 56k also, I don't know about IG being easiest. It might be my hitscan accuracy, or the calibre of other players, but I usually get hammered in a IG match. It's still lots of fun though. I have an easier time with normal weapons, even though I usually use shock or lightning gun.

          I've never played Onslaught, pretty much just dm and ctf, but those work fine on 56k.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Mario553
            i've heard alot of ppl on the forums talking about instagib.... but what the hell is it?
            a mutator

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by lxskllr
              I'm on 56k also, I don't know about IG being easiest. It might be my hitscan accuracy, or the calibre of other players, but I usually get hammered in a IG match. It's still lots of fun though. I have an easier time with normal weapons, even though I usually use shock or lightning gun.
              yeah it all comes down to your ability to anticipate your opponents movement. i find it easiest for IG cause all i have to compensate for is the ping, i dont have to also compensate for the time it takes for a rocket to travel to its destination as well for example.

              Comment


                #22
                Ya I started out on 56k (and had fun playing) before DSL became available. Just make sure you get a good "hardware" modem and not a "software" winmodem. My US Robotics hardware modem actually had a gaming mode which basically disabled all error correction which in effect lowered your ping (kinda like switching from interleaving to fastpath on a DSL line).

                Or even better yet, if ISDN is affordable in your area I HIGHLY recomend it for UT if no other real broadband is available. I used ISDN for about three weeks before getting DSL and can say on some servers it was 'near' DSL performance (since it's a digital line like DSL and not analog line like regular dialup).

                There's a pretty significant performance jump in online gaming from a analog dialup connection to digital ISDN line. If you want, I can give you a pretty good deal and a ISDN modem if you're interested. I bought it brand new and only used it for three weeks. If you're not into heavy downloading and just wanna do some faggin'... ISDN would get you by primally until broadband comes through your area.

                Definitely call your phone company and see how much ISDN would run ya..... Trust me, it's leap years difference over analog dialup (I had dual channel 128k FYI).

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by ll0rt
                  a mutator
                  To be spacific it replaces all the guns with a 1 hit kill shock rifle(or other gun that does the same thing).

                  Comment


                    #24
                    haha for me, 56k couldn't even take the load of playing Quake 3 then in around 2001 it lags half the time..got sick of playing it online. and single player anyway.., but with DSL i have an easier life now which is why i am playing UT04...U T 2004rocks...

                    Comment


                      #25
                      -snip- Sorry, wrong topic.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        If your connection is OK you shouldn't get major lag unless you try to play on a server that has a lot of people on it. A DM server with 8 people is about the limit for my connection before other players' movement becomes jumpy and some projectiles stop appearing.

                        IG DM will seem to have the least lag because that gametype requires the least amount of information to be sent to you computer. In general, the more complicated the game type the more likely it is to lag.

                        You can also try disabling V90 and 56K on your modem. I did that to mine and it did decrease my latency some. It also caused bad packets to drop more quickly which virtually eliminated the "creeping ping" effect.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          With ~150-170 ping to server Ut2004 blew badly with DM, more so then the average game. Never tried ONS on dialup so I can't vouch for that. Main problem is in you thinking you (or someone else) are in one position and then being snapped to another position, kinda hard playing under those conditions.

                          To give a comparison, even BFV performed a lot better to the same ISP's servers on dialup. Surprised me a lot, only good thing about that game (even though minimum spec is meant to be broadband).

                          But yeah, your perfomance may be better. Like someone else suggested, you're probably best to go download the demo and try it properly before you buy.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Dial-up is fine.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by NulEnvoid
                              Main problem is in you thinking you (or someone else) are in one position and then being snapped to another position, kinda hard playing under those conditions.
                              yep, im fine with compensating for the gun delay, but jumping behind a wall and then 1 second later being back out in clear view and shot dead by someone really ****** me off. avoiding an at least decently skilled players rockets in DM is virtually impossible as you have no way of telling where their next rocket is and most itmes the rocket doesnt appear until it is exploding under your feet.

                              but the thing abou that that just makes me quit the game is in ctf when i run over flags to return them or to pick them up if my team mate has dropped them, all just to have some loser on the other team come along after i touched the flag, and the return goes to him instead of giving me the flag to keep running with. ffs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X