Could I Play on 56k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I Play on 56k

I'm sry if this is kinda a newb question, but hey I havent even bought the game yet so I'm entitled to that. Ne ways on with the question. I have AOL and besides that it's 56k (its all that is offered here where I live) and I was wondring if I could play UT2k4 with those specs. I acheive the minimum and some reccomended requirements to play but my comp. is no gaming computer by far. I played Guild Wars and NwN with this so I was wondring if this would work for UT as well. So could I play UT with out major lag? BTW I have AOL Topspeed as well if that makes ne difference what so ever. Thanks.

PS. From what I read not to many ppl are playin UT ne more. Is it overrun with bots as haf-life games are?

You may be able to play DM with dialup, but I doubt you can play ONS with it.

There are bots here and there, but they don't last too long on well - admined servers. In some of the pubs that aren't watched - who knows. I don't play in those servers.

Depending on game type there are very few people playing, or there are lots of people playing. You just need to find the right servers. I only play iCTF, and usually I can't even get on my own clan's public server during evening prime time because of the crowd. I don't know about other gametypes/servers.

Comment

Yeah, UT nowadays seems to be exclusively for the elite die-hards. The public servers have dwindled to only a handful of people ever online at any given time with the majority of players hiding behind their private clan servers who only play PUGs and such. This is great for the skilled players who don't want to deal with noobs and such, but very sad for the rest of us who just want to play the game and not get all competitive and elitist about it.

Tomorrow, I am going to take a stab at Battlefield 2 (despite its purported problems) since thousands of users are online compared to UT's mere dozens.

Anyway, to answer your question, I doubt it. I used to play UT99 on dial-up with no problems, but between UT99 and UT2k4, I finally got broadband (the moment it finally became available here in my area), and with UT2k4, I find I can't play with a ping of anything less than 80 whereas with UT99 and dial-up, I could go up to 300 ms with any noticeable lag. Conclusion: UT2k4 was optimized for broadband only.

With that said, no doubt someone will pop in here and say they play on dial-up just fine if for no other reason than just to prove me wrong.

I guess the best bet is to just demo the demo and see for yourself firsthand.

Comment

i would get the demo to if it would take me 2 days to download besides any game from the halflife series what game do u reccomend i could play online with 56k? o and why could i play deathmatch and not onslaught

Comment

I'd say if you have dialup and want to play online, stick to starcraft. Unreal Tournament 2004 is pretty tough on internet, and it was hard to play when I had dialup. I got DSL the day it was set up near my house too.

Comment

i played sc for awhile but is there ne shooter then that wouold work besides hl

Comment

Well, speaking of HL, there's always Counter Strike. That is still the #1 MP game right now, and since you seem to have no problems playing HL on dial-up, playing a HL mod should be no different. <shrug>

Comment

i would play that to if it would work (**** steam) the only hl game i can play online is tema fortress everything else freezes

Comment

Heh... Steam is the reason I never even bothered trying HL2 MP. (After I finished the SP portion, I quickly uninstalled it. :P )

There are two versions of Counter-Strike: Source and 1.6. I have always presumed that CS 1.6 is the original HL mod, and CS:S is the Steam variant. (1.6 ranks higher, too, in the server stats.) Is 1.6 now controlled by Steam, too? (I didn't think it was, but I'm probably wrong.)

Comment

sadly yes it is and screws everything up for me if i could just get ppls servers to load i wouldnt even be here rite now

Comment

whether or not you can play ut2004 on dialup is up to how close the nearest populated server is, as well as your ability to play with a high ping. i play ut2004 on 28k dialup, and average a 240 ping and have no problems playing instagib, but it takes a bit of practise to get used to it, but after then youll be fine.

ons is playable with a 240 ping... just. vehicles dont respond to your commands instantly like your own player movement does, so it gets to be a pain in the ****.

as the others said, get a copy of the demo (either download over night or get a friend or someone with broadband to get it for you) and see how you go on it.

Comment

theres only 56k in your area? Where do you live, in the boonies?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario553
                          i would get the demo to if it would take me 2 days to download besides any game from the halflife series what game do u reccomend i could play online with 56k? o and why could i play deathmatch and not onslaught
                          I've played onslaught on dialup before. Actualy I prefer ons on dailup over DM. The reason being that DM is in your face fast action. You'll get creamed on your slow connection. But in ons, if you find a good server, there's more then just face to face fighting so your connection speed isn't as import. And it's not as frustrating.

Just make sure your netspeed settings are set right so the game knows your on a 56k line unstead of dsl. If it thinks your on dsl it will send to much info to your pc and lag you pretty bad.

Also there's playing bots. Playing bots isn't as bad as a lot of people here make it sound. You just have to find a fun setup. I have dialup at home so I play bots unstead of playing online. The only time I play online is at school.

RD

Comment

i think i will try the demo like som1 psoted earlier and yes i live in rural iowa so its hard to get dsl or ne thing. thanks for helping me out

Comment

Originally posted by [EH]Xenocide
                              theres only 56k in your area? Where do you live, in the boonies?

lol

you should be fine with 56k just avoid instagib like the plague

Comment

Working...
                              X