A fps question .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fps question .

Is it a big difference between 130 fps and 90 ? between 160 and 130 ? I just wanna now right now my fps is 42 average so .. between 60 and 90 ?

a forum search will show this has been argued about many times before, infact if the energy that has gone into arguing this could be harnessed we would probably be able to power a small city for a month. Go and have a look if you are curious but you will prob just be depressed by the pointless debate over whether 201fps is better than 200 fps etc...

From my experience <35 is hard to play with but after that it all seems the same to me.

Comment

Personally I find it genuinely hard to aim below 40 fps, especially when it goes down to that after being at 85. (ONS maps)

I also notice fps drops from 85 to ~60 on DM maps. When I did some tests offline, I can't notice any difference beyond 100 fps. But there is still a difference between 85 and 100.

I would say:
      <40 is bad
      >70 is good
      >100 is ideal

But I suppose it depends on the person. *shrugs*

Comment

a constant fps of 85 online (so always >85 offline, cause it's capped) is ideal.

Comment

the lowest steady framerate i'll play with (meaning no dips) is 70 fps... more or less.

Comment

Ok well could someone with a cheap cpu (athlon 2800+) and cheap gpu (radeon 9600/geforce 6200) and ram 512 - 768 , tell me what fps is he getting online in dm rankin at 1024 x 768 , lowest textures , low character detail , high physics , highest dynamic mesh LOD , biggest fog distance , 16 bit collor , and everything ( coronas , dynamic lighting ) else turned off ? I would like to get those 85 fps online with that .

Comment

Oh and 85 fps is max online ? really ?

Comment

ideally your fps should be equal to or higher than your monitors refresh rate (depending on whether you want to use vsync or not) and any higher than ~90 you cant tell the difference.

Comment

Above 40 is ok to me.

Comment

Dont worry Ill have a monitor with 116 hz at 1024 x 768 . Do you think I can get 85 fps with the video details I posted , and an amd athlon xp 2800 + , geforce 6200 , 512 ram ?

Comment

Originally posted by WosP
                      Dont worry Ill have a monitor with 116 hz at 1024 x 768 . Do you think I can get 85 fps with the video details I posted , and an amd athlon xp 2800 + , geforce 6200 , 512 ram ?
                      yes, but it won't be a constant 85 except on DM maps... and even then it might dip down into the 50's and 60's every now and then...

Comment

Ok Ill ask one more time
                        What cpu + gpu + ram , should should I get If I want to have avg fps 80 with these settings online in 8-player DM on rankin ?:
                        1024 x 768
                        lowest textures
                        low character detail
                        high physics
                        highest dynamic mesh LOD
                        biggest fog distance
                        16 bit collor
                        details ( coronas , dynamic lighting etc .. )
                        no aa / af

Would athlon 2800 xp + , ge force 6200 , 512 ram get me those avg 80 fps with those settings ?

EDIT btw right now I have a celeron 1.3 ghz + ge force 2 mx + 128 ram and I get 30 fps average with those settings , I dont believe with athlon xp 2800 + , geforce 6200 , and ram 512 I wouldn get 80 avg fps .

Comment

Originally posted by aTourist
                          Above 40 is ok to me.

Comment

You don't want physics high, you want them low. That eats up a lot for from what I can tell) is only used for ragdoll and similar things.
                            highest dynamic mesh LOD is also a big cost.
                            If you were doing an upgrade at least go to an Athlon64, hey are a lot better than the XP. I have an AthlonXP 3000 and a 9800 pro.
                            Well wait, for DM, yeah it stays probably over 80-120, somewhere.
                            I also have 1.5 gig ram, that helps with smoothness.
                            Don't know about that video card personally check tomshardware, they have a nice cpu chart with ut2k4 tested...

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza101
                              infact if the energy that has gone into arguing this could be harnessed we would probably be able to power a small city for a month.
                              :haha::up:

Comment

Working...
                              X