refresh rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refresh rate

hey all, soon i get a new computer and i wondered how the refreshrate works in ut2k4. my monitor has 60hz on 1280, 75 on 1024 and 100hz on 800. so if I play online with 800*600 will i be able to see the difference between 60 and 100 FPS if my windows resolution is at 1280*1024 making it have a 60Hz refreshrate? maybee there's some ini tweak to force a refreshrate? :noob: thanks in advance.

killalot0

I'm not sure what you mean... FPS is not directly related to your monitor's refresh rate (nor is Windows desktop resolution related to the resolution you run the game at). FPS denotes how many frames your graphics card can render in one second, while the refresh rate tells you how many frames your monitor can render in one second.

You can run the game at a higher refresh rate, if you set the DesiredRefreshRate parameter (or something like that) in the D3D section in UT2004.ini file.

To cut a long story short, if you're going to upgrade your computer, you will see the difference between 60 and 100 fps regardless of your monitor's ref. rate, which you can set independently of Windows using the tweak in UT2004.ini. However, know that fps is capped to 85 frames when you play online.

Comment

what i mean is that if my grappics card gives me 100 FPS and my monitor only supports 60hz at a sertain resolution, will I only experience as if i am getting 60 fps from my grappicscard? so that if i want 75 fps shown it's maybee better to set my monitor to 1024*768 because my monitor supports 75hz at this resolution.

if so is this controlled by windows desktop settings .If i have my desktop set at 1024*768 and refresh at 75hz will this also be in the game?. or is it so that if start the game at 1024*768 it will give me a refresh rate somewere stated in the ini's?

Comment

The refresh rate is basically the maximum fps your monitor can display, so yes, you won't actually see the 100 fps your video card is rendering if your monitor is capped at 75Hz. You'll also have some onscreen tearing; whether or not this bugs you is a matter of taste (at least in my case, where the tearing is sometimes noticeable but minimal).

One solution to this is enabling vsync, which syncs your fps with your refresh rate to eliminate onscreen tearing. Vsync in UT can cause mouse lag problems, however, so test it before you decide it works for you.

In any case, your monitor may be impairing your vision. Most ergonomic/health guidelines recommend using a refresh rate of 85Hz or higher to avoid damaging your eyesight.

Comment

Your monitor refresh rate will limit your graphics framerate if UseVsync is set to True in the D3D section of your UT2004.ini file.

You can set UseVsync to false to allow your vid card to render as fast as it wants, regardless of the monitor refresh rate. You may notice some graphics 'tearing' as a result of this, or not. It may not be noticeable at high frame rates.

You can also use the lower resolution to get a higher monitor refresh rate, that will work too, possibly with a higher quality picture.

You can set DesiredRefreshRate to whatever you want in the D3D section also. As long as your monitor supports it you should be fine.

Higher monitor refresh rates are generally held to be a Good Thing, independent of graphics frame rate. I'm ok with a refresh rate of 85 at 1024x768. Don't know what is gained with higher rates than that. Don't want to know. Fancy monitors, support high rates, too expensive for poor UT player. Ugh.

Comment

You should use 100Hz at the minimum. I still see tearing at 85. I Play at 1280x1024 @ 100Hz on a LaCie electron19blueIV monitor.

Comment

Ideally, you should sync up your refresh rate to your FPS. Since your FPS online is 85 FPS, you should use an 85 hz refresh rate (or 170 hz if your monitor can go that high). Anything else and you'll get tearing.

Comment

You can get a headache looking at a 60 Hz monitor. And that means in only an hour. If your playing UT all day during the weekend than you should avoid 60 Hz. You can get eye strain too.

Comment

Re: refresh rate

Originally posted by killalot0
                  hey all, soon i get a new computer and i wondered how the refreshrate works in ut2k4. my monitor has 60hz on 1280, 75 on 1024 and 100hz on 800. so if I play online with 800*600 will i be able to see the difference between 60 and 100 FPS if my windows resolution is at 1280*1024 making it have a 60Hz refreshrate? maybee there's some ini tweak to force a refreshrate? :noob: thanks in advance.

killalot0
                  Ok, correct me if im wrong, but your refresh rate will limit your FPS at the refresh rate, ie if your refresh rate is 60, your monitor will only display 60 images per second, if the refresh rate is 75, you only get 75 (I know 'only," right...)

So if your refresh rate at 1280 is 60 hz and your getting 60 fps it would seem ideal to play at that resolution.

Really, chose the resolution that looks the best and plays the best.

Comment

Re: Re: refresh rate

Originally posted by Phear
                    So if your refresh rate at 1280 is 60 hz and your getting 60 fps it would seem ideal to play at that resolution.
                    Just because I care about everyone's health , I'll repeat: ergonomic and medical recommendations generally advise using a refresh rate of at least 85Hz to avoid eyestrain and potential long-term degradation of your vision. You really shouldn't have to put up with 60Hz.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: refresh rate

Originally posted by suibhne
                      Just because I care about everyone's health , I'll repeat: ergonomic and medical recommendations generally advise using a refresh rate of at least 85Hz to avoid eyestrain and potential long-term degradation of your vision. You really shouldn't have to put up with 60Hz.
                      Ive spent entire weekends in front of a 60 hz monitor, and i cant say as ive had any problems.....:noob:

Comment

In my experience the DesiredRefreshRate or whatever it is in the .ini file doesn't do anything. Basically it does not work. I would recomment you get a very cool tool called ATI Tray Tools if you have an ATI based card. In there you can lock the refresh rate at different resolutions and set it to the highest your monitor will support for gaming. If you have an nvidia card, there are other tools that will accomplish the same thing. That is the sure fire way to do this.

Comment

For you personally, i'd run 1024 @ 75hz and put on vsync.

Comment

sounds like your system probably isn't that great since your monitor can only pull 60Hz at 1280 resolution, so I'd run 800x600 and set the refresh to 100. That will give you the smoothest game play. Also turn off all of the fancy graphics stuff like shadows and set the detail levels to low.

You may want to have windows update the driver for your monitor, perhaps it can do more than those refresh rates, but windows just thinks it can't.

Comment

Working...
                            X