Anyone upgrade from Ti4200 to 9800 Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone upgrade from Ti4200 to 9800 Pro?

I looked at some benchmarks on xbitlabs which kind of showed video cards at the same level at 1024x768. But, I'm still wondering, has anyone seen any benefits from that kind of upgrade? (If you have upgraded like that. Or, perhaps with the 6600 GT.)
    In Canada, it's hard to find the 6600 GT at a cheap price so I thought about getting the 9800 Pro.

Re: Anyone upgrade from Ti4200 to 9800 Pro?

Originally posted by Vive_le_Quebec
    I looked at some benchmarks on xbitlabs which kind of showed video cards at the same level at 1024x768. But, I'm still wondering, has anyone seen any benefits from that kind of upgrade? (If you have upgraded like that. Or, perhaps with the 6600 GT.)
    In Canada, it's hard to find the 6600 GT at a cheap price so I thought about getting the 9800 Pro.
    Im sure, if you had a good enough processor, the difference would be pretty noticeable, especially at high res.

Consider my situation:
    P4 1.7 and a GeForce ti4600.
    Going to a 9800 would be stupid right now because my processor would bottleneck the hell out of everything anyway, like it is now.

I'm not buying anything for another year, for UT2007.

Comment

If it's not too much money involved it's ok but as it was written before, you also must have a decent cpu.

here's a link where you can compare

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...charts-05.html

Comment

I wouldnt upgrade, I had a similar situation (AMD XP 2400+ with FX5200) , I fried it playing HL2, but I was jumping for joy because I knew we had to upgrade. Im happy its dead :up:. I upgraded to P4 3.2ghz, Gigabyte 6600GT Turbo Force OC @ 505/1125. Now I can play at 1280x1024 2xAA 8xAF Detail high everything else low, never drops below 40fps.

Comment

I'm just in an odd situation though.
          I could upgrade to XP 3000+ and a 9800 Pro without spending TOO much. But, I keep on wondering which is more worthwile. Should I just wait until next year? Ah, man, teh choices.

Comment

Get sempron 3100 + you can overlock it to 2.5 ghz and its about the same good as athlon 64 ( 754 ) newcastle 2800+ which is pretty good , Im probably gonna buy sempron 3100+ palermo and 9600 xt .

Comment

Check this:
              http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...empron-07.html

Comment

Just make sure to avoid a Socket A sempron.

Honestly, socket 939 is your best bet, if you can afford it, as it has a much better outlook for upgrades.

Comment

I upgraded to a 9800 Pro from an FX 5200 and saw a great difference, especially after upgrading my processor and mobo.

Comment

Yeah ofc sempron 754 only . If you wanna buy 939 its san diego , if not san diego newcastle ( 754 ) is a bit better than winchester ( 939 ) in the ut 2k4 cpu benchmarks but the winchester costs more , newcastle 2800 + is just tiny little bit better than sempron 3100 754 , new semprons have 64 stuff too . So its almost no difference .

Comment

I upgraded from a ti4200 to a 9800pro and didnt see much of a difference. It was only because I had an AMD Athlon 2000+. When i upgraded my cpu to an AMD Athlon 3500+ I saw a big difference.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
                        Well, now it's just a matter of getting the money to do it.
                        Kind of odd since I was thinking of moving to Quebec. :noob:

Comment

Working...
                        X