• Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Which CPU Should I Get?

#1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103502

#2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103483

#3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535

Comment

ok it looks good but can u tell me the diffences between them? casue i can't seem to figure it out

Comment

Actually, I'd spend a few more dollars and get the 3400+, which I think is about $215 on newegg. It's the best bang for the buck, but it's socket 754. The difference between socket 754 vs. 939 AMD 64 CPU's is mainly that 939's have the dual-channel memory controller. There isn't much difference in real world benchmarks, but 939 does show around ~60% more memory bandwidth in synthetic benchmarks. My 3400+ AMD64 s754 gets about 3100GB/s bandwidth in SisoftSandra, where as a s939 CPU will get in the 5500GB/s range usually. s754 CPU's are clocked higher at the same PR rating though, and are usually faster overall in benchmarks.

i.e.,
        s754 3400+ = 2.4GHz single channel, 3.2GB/s theoretical max mem. bandwidth
        s939 3400+ = 2.2GHz dual channel, 6.4GB/s theoretical max mem. bandwidth

Check out these UT2004 benchmarks, which illustrates how little difference the dual channel means in most real life applications:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...charts-15.html

Note that the 3400+ Clawhammer (939) is beaten by the 3400+ Newcastle (754). Clockspeed is usually more important than the dual channel from what I've seen.

Ofcourse, if you're planning on some serious overclocking, the Clawhammer might the better overall choice (lower clock to start with). Not to mention s754 is supposedly going to be short lived compared to s939 (future upgradability). I chose s754 because it was fast and cheap, the same way I like my women.

:up:

Comment

Re: OT: Which CPU Should I Get?

Dude if you are getting socket 939 then get a san diego core CPU and if that's to expensive then get a venice core(the one neoflame suggested)! Here is the cheapest San diego core, but it might be to expensive:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103539

Comment

If you want somethin cheap - newcastle , if somethin good ( 939 sock which is good ) san diego . From the 2 you posted newcastle > winchester . Winchester is real **** its costy and not that good . Either buy the newcastle , or 939 venice core , or if you have more money be it san diego core 3500 + .

Comment

Oh and if you wanna go cheap than sempron 3100 + palermo 754 64 , its almost ( a difference of 6 fps ) as good as newcastle 2800 + , and you can overclock it to 2,5 ghz .

Comment

If you have the $$$ get San Diego, if not, get Venice.

Comment

X2 3800+ coming out next month at $345 US.

Comment

Hes looking at a $190 processor... if he wanted to spend $345, he would have posted a 3800+ instead...

id say go with the venice ive heard they overclock well... or am i just bull****ting?

edit: model changing

Comment

Man, this is just such a golden age for AMD processors right now. :up:

Every processor posted is good. I'd say go with the Venice, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LordJaffa
                        Hes looking at a $190 processor... if he wanted to spend $345, he would have posted a 3800+ instead...

id say go with the venice ive heard they overclock well... or am i just bull****ting?

edit: model changing
                        if he has $345, he would get a 3700+ san diego, not a 3800+ venice. San Diego > Venice > *

Comment

Toledo > Manchester > San Diego > Venice > Winchester > Clawhammer > Newcastle > Fluffy Bunnies > Intel

Except for my intel processor, it's good. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by WosP
                            If you want somethin cheap - newcastle , if somethin good ( 939 sock which is good ) san diego . From the 2 you posted newcastle > winchester . Winchester is real **** its costy and not that good . Either buy the newcastle , or 939 venice core , or if you have more money be it san diego core 3500 + .
                            A Winchester will beat the living **** out of the Newcastle any day of the week when it comes to overclocking. And that's all that matters in the S939 Platform.

Hell, mine can easily compare to a Venice when I push it far enough (2.7+ GHz).

And, I beg to differ, best bang for the buck with always be the S939 3000+.

Regardless, get a Venice/San Diego option.

Comment

Yeah, get the Venice CPU (#3). It supports SSE3 and has an updated memory controller.

Comment

Working...
                              X