Should I Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    My advice: don't upgrade your Athlon XP unless you find a great deal; you won't get a huge increase even in CPU-dependent UT. The biggest benefit will come from upgrading to an Athlon 64, due to the architectural improvements (memory controller, for example), so save up for the next big step.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    WHile socket 754 boards are a good value - (1) he needs an AGP slot board, not PCI-E, and (2) they have a lower upgradability to newer processors, unlike newer socket 939. And I cant really suggest going with a cpu over $200.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    socket 754 chips are looking good value for money, I Just got a £50 PCI-E m/b and a £140 3700+

Some peeps are saying you have to go with socket 939 for future dual core upgradability but when the San Diego 3700+ cost £230 alone it doesnt seem like a great argument, ie I will just buy a dual core chip and another m/b and would have still spent less... people were actually trying to convince me to spend an extra £100 to save myself £50 IF I upgraded in the future...

Of course the San Diego is slightly better, but if you are happy for your zip files to be compressed in only 30 seconds and not 29 you'll have no probs !

GL with the upgrade

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You will need a new motherboard, CPU (with fan), and probably a new power supply. Hopefully you allready have fast RAM. I suggest the Venice core athlon64 since you probably have mismatched memory and venice core provides support for mismatched RAM dual channel support.
    Unforutnately your 6800GT is AGP, so you will be stuck having to get an AGP socket939 motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SSHAwk
    ok say i make the purchase how long with this rig last me? cause i dont got a lot of money but i havent upgraded since christmas of 01
    Why dont you tell us how much money you have to spend then I can find you best bang for buck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Get an X2 3800+ coming out next month for $345 US.
    Or, a socket 754 3400+ (the 2.4 GHz model) for $178 US (OEM) at newegg.

That socket 754 processor is a B*tch!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think you should wait for dual core procs to get a little cheaper.

I'm saving money to buy an awesome rig in 2006, i'm hoping that a new gen videocard will be avaiable when i buy my stuff.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok say i make the purchase how long with this rig last me? cause i dont got a lot of money but i havent upgraded since christmas of 01

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Buy a AMD 3200..you can get them at really good prices at NewEgg. You can overclock that if you want too for even better performance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All that power needed and it still doesn't look good.

Memory leaks anyone?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bjossi
    Does BF2 need 2.5 Gbs of memory...? :bulb:
    yep...thats what ive heard anyway. (well 2 gigs, 2.5 wouldnt hurt though :P)...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=468023

theres the link, do a find (ctrl+f) for the name suttonator, I believe its my second post... quite interesting discussion, but 64's are almost the same money-wise compared with XP's.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes, it is...I asked this a while ago, ill try dig up my thread and link it here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [ot]

question: is it worth it to buy an Athlon 64 proccessor if your not going to use windows 64 Edition?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does BF2 need 2.5 Gbs of memory...? :bulb:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X