This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Patch After 3355??

Does anyone have any info about when the next patch for UT2k4 will come out? I have been testing the changes in how weapons and vehicles function under Patch 3355, and have been putting quite a bit of time into this. I want to make this information available to everyone. But if another patch is coming out soon, I am just wasting my time because there are at least some changes in how vehicles and weapons function with every patch.

The changes between how things work now under patch 3355 and how things were when the game first came out are quite spectacular. Some weapons now do not do any damage whatsoever in certain situations, others do twice as much damage. It is puzzling why none of this is mentioned in the Release Notes. That's why I'm retesting everything. But have I wasted my time?

only future will tell us.

Comment

I think with the readme to the CTF/BR exploit that it said "A temporary fix until next patch."

If they do another patch, I hope they fix the **** armour system and sound >_<

But do tell what you have found out, could be useful for epic (if they read this).

Comment

Based on the way DrSiN was talking in regards to the CTF flag exploit, it sounds like they are working on another patch for UT2004. I would expect it to be the last, though, so that's probably why it's taking this long for them to put it together.

That, coupled with the fact that they are working on two huge games means that time is a valuable commodity nowadays over at Epic.

Comment

I am nearly done testing. When I am done and have compiled the results, they will be posted on the Dark Knights Clan website (dkc-clan.com). Probably in a couple months, because of other stuff going on.

A few examples of changes: BioRifle now does zero damage to the Goliath unless the goo hits the underside of the tank, which is quite difficult. The Flak Gun's damage to the Goliath depends upon if it hits the front, side, or back. The Shock Rifle primary and secondary used to each do 45 damage per shot against everything. Now the Prim does 38 against soldiers and 45 against vehicles, and Secondary does 45 against soldiers and 38 against vehicles. Mines used to do 200 points of damage. Now they do only a max of 142 points of damage to any vehicle and max of 88-90 to soldiers.

The list goes on and on. Less than 10% of the firing speed and damage per shot are the same now as when the game was first released. People who count on Primo's printed guide to UT2004 are justifiably puzzled why their perception of things doesn't even come close to what the book says.

Comment

mines do zero to a goliath? ewwww.

Comment

Originally posted by conqui
              =The list goes on and on. Less than 10% of the firing speed and damage per shot are the same now as when the game was first released.
              i have not herd of any alteration of weapon damage at all, its seem exactly the same. i have a list of the weopon damages from the begining and the numbers still match up in game currently.

Comment

Look at Prima's Official Strategy Guide for Unreal Tournament 2004. It contains rate of fire and damage per shot and much other data for every weapon and vehicle. I verified 99% of that data myself when I got the book as soon as it came out. (True, I have a pathetic life).

Make sure you have patch 3355 installed. If you want to test on a public server instead of Instant Action, make sure it is upgraded to 3355. Now have someone fire the Shock secondary at you and see if it does 45 points of damage to you like the book says. WRONG! Every map on every gametype I have tested (dozens) indicates only 38 points of damage. Get in a Goliath and have a friend fire the Shock primary at you. Does each shot do 45 points of damage like the book says, and like I verified myself when UT2k4 came out? NO!! It does only 38 points of damage! What about the rate of fire of the side turrent on the Goliath? Is it the same as the book says? And is the damage per shot the same as when UT2k4 came out? NO! Look at the book (which is accurate for when the game came out) and look at your own results now, and you will see drastic differences. I have tested this out in Instant Action, on private servers, and on public servers. I have asked others to help in the testing. Results are identical. Almost nothing is the same as it was before.

This may explain why so many players have left the game. After a while, it is natural to play an exciting game less often, because it is not new anymore. Suddenly, you notice that your scores aren't as high and you aren't winning as often. You chalk it up as not being interested enough to maintain your skills, so you stop playing the game. I don't know how many times I have heard this explanation for quitting a clan or moving on to another game. In fact, it might not be a loss of skills because they aren't playing as often, it could very well be because the weapons/vehicles have changed.

Comment

The mines doing zero damage to goliaths is not true. Just tested it to confirm. Tested it on patch 3355.

Comment

i just tested, wat you said, all human damage points are exactly the same as i have written down

vehicles may be affected differently but i realy dont care about that

BTW my source of weapon info
                    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=380238

Comment

I hope they fix these two bugs listed here:

http://prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59513

I hope they fix as many of the bugs listed here:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=453380

and I really hope they fix my lag problem that has never gone away no matter what setup, tweak, ISP, or aim I have as posted here:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=473380

Comment

RoadKillGrill -- you prove exactly my point. By May 12, 2004, patch 3204 had already been released and the data are different than when UT2k4 was first released and different than the data in Prima's Official Guide (which claims to have the official blessing of Atari/Epic, and as far as I know Atari/Epic has never disputed this and the book is still sold at Barnes & Noble). And whether you care or not, the fact is that damage is as I stated above, and different than documented in the book (and when I got the book I tested things out and I found everything exactly as reported in the book). Whether you care or not is irrelevant to the fact that there has been a change.

NotoriousBIC you are correct. And I am correct. I again went into Instant Action, and found things as I stated with the mines and Goliath. I went into a clan server that has UTComp installed (reports stats, keeps track of damage) and found things as I said above. Went to another server without UTComp, and sure enough, mines then did damage. I don't know what the variable is, because my Instant Action doesn't have any UTComp mod installed. All these servers, BTW, use patch 3355. So I do not know why some servers let mines have damage against Goliath, and some do not. However, even when there IS damage, it is still only 142 points, not the 200 as when UT2k4 originally came out.

If you can help sort this out, it would be great.

I am hesitant to call these differences a "bug". I haven't had any chat with the designers. But anyone who has ever been in combat in the military (real life, not an online game) knows that ammo -- whether hand held or attached to a vehicle weapon -- is highly sensitive to a variety of factors and anyone who says a certain bullet or ammo shell inflicts the exact same amount of damage in 100% every situation is a moron who is doomed for certain death. Even today with all our high tech electronic weapons, anyone in the military who claimed 100% identical results for 1 shell in 100% all situations would be discharged as mentally retarded and ignorant of reality.

So why is it unacceptable for game designers to allow the same kind of variability?, I ask. NotoriusBIC and I have found this kind of variability, which is troubling only because we expected things to be more consistent than reality.

KillGrill (I think I got the name wrong now) correctly shows that even after the first patch, weapons began to function differently. This is not a reason to get worked up and act like I am pulling large pieces of furniture out of my nether-regions. The real question is, have the game designers done this on purpose to make UT more realistic, or is it an unexpected byproduct of other changes? And my own interest is to let players know how things operate now, without pretending all is identical to the literature they are reading about how the game operated when it was first released. You don't have to care, but some people might care. And if there are variations from circumstance to circumstance, how can you predict those variations so you are a step ahead of the competition. I, for one, would like to know if a mine that I shoot at a Goliath will or won't do any damage.

Comment

Originally posted by conqui
                          NotoriousBIC you are correct. And I am correct. I again went into Instant Action, and found things as I stated with the mines and Goliath. I went into a clan server that has UTComp installed (reports stats, keeps track of damage) and found things as I said above. Went to another server without UTComp, and sure enough, mines then did damage. I don't know what the variable is, because my Instant Action doesn't have any UTComp mod installed. All these servers, BTW, use patch 3355. So I do not know why some servers let mines have damage against Goliath, and some do not. However, even when there IS damage, it is still only 142 points, not the 200 as when UT2k4 originally came out.

If you can help sort this out, it would be great.
                          Go to the Mutators tab and remove all mutators before starting an Instant Action game. You're doing something very weird.
                          I tested it with 3355 in Instant Action plus online on 3355 AND 3339 servers and mines were doing damage.

Furthermore, Spidermines have always been ~140 max damage (they're splash damage) to vehicles and ~85 max to foot soldiers.
                          If there's an "official" guide stating otherwise, it's simply plain wrong.

Comment

No mutators in my Instant Action. Can"t say about the other server. As for damage by mines, the book plus my own testing charts at that time, plus my own testing charts after patch 3270 (the third patch) are all 100% identical. Links I have in my notes on other websites also are the same -- a mine does 200 points of damage, no variation. There are only a few minor differences between the original release and patch 3270 in regard to other weapons. I just looked at my handwritten charts again to verify my memory, and amazingly enough it is as I recall. What happened between patch 3270 and now (patch 3355) I did not test out, except that I did make notes that show some changes. Because of this, I have done all these tests. I can't explain the differences that Notorious points out, but even his/her data are different than originally reported prior to patch 4 in Sept 2004. I do not understand the variations we are seeing. I will post screenshots of the UTComp data, if necessary, it is not like I am fabricating this data for my amusement. Neither is Notorious. Help figure this out!!

Comment

conqui, i just installed ut on my two test comps, and ran 3168. the damage was the same as far as i tested. They are the same

i do find it funny you bring this up so late from the origonal release to now.

i never recall anyone ever complaining or noticeing a nerfing in weapons due to a patch in any way.

this comunity complained when there was a 5% instrease in cpu usage from a patch im sure a person would of noticed a distinct change in weapons.

also wat would happen on a 3168 server if a person with 3355 connected, i tested and got the same result in damage again.

Face it, your ut2004 guide is a POS. go use it to go wipe your ***

Comment

Working...
                              X