Is my graphics card borked? (see pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my graphics card borked? (see pic)

[screenshot]http://www.fatdrunkandstupid.com/chobb/ut2004screen.jpg[/screenshot]

I'm getting the above visual **** when I play UT2004 these days. I have the PC in an air conditioned room (cool) and it has a 550 Watt PSU fitted.

Is my card borked?

It's a 9800 Pro 128MB. It's the only ATI card I've used, and it's never been that great. Assuming it is the card, what's the comparative nVidia card - 6600 GT?

Cheers, chobb

are you over clocking your card? if so, i would turn down the speeds.

the crack that is in the front of the rocketlauncher accually looks kinda cool.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys.

- It isn't overclocked.

- I don't know how to take temperature readings (I have the 6.14.10.6517 Catalyst drivers), but I did feel the metal surrounding the fan. It's pretty hot, but not so hot you can't touch it.
      The fan is working fine.

- I've taken the card out and cleaned the fan with compressed air. Some **** did come out.

I had a quick go and it seemed okay, but then it was cool when I started. Maybe it needs half a day to warm up.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow lunch to check it out properly - I really should get some work done now.

Cheers, chobb

Comment

The nVidia 6600GT totally owns the 9800 Core .

Comment

The nVidia 6600GT totally owns the 9800 Core .
          Interesting... I have a nVidia 5900 Ultra 256MB in my home PC. Is the 6600 GT 128MB faster than my 5900?

Comment

OMG it's a Q-tec isnt it. buy a quality PSU and yuor problem is fixed.

some good brands are OCZ tagan and coolermaster. 420 watt is more then enough then. the 550 on a Q-tec doesnt say ****.
            on a hardware forum i go to almost all people that have grapical problems have their problems fixed when changing their qtec PSU.

Comment

6600gt is best bang for the buck, it is way better than 9800pro and can play bf2 pretty well.

Comment

It isn't a Q-Tec, it's a 'COLORS it' PSU - which is probably just as bad.

Comment

Try the omega drivers, they also come with a utility for over or downclocking the GPU.

www.omegadrivers.net

Comment

Working...
                  X