[OT] Possibly a dumb question, regarding WinXP 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OT] Possibly a dumb question, regarding WinXP 64

I was wondering what kind of advantages I'd get upgrading from WinXP Home to the 64-bit edition (I have an Athlon 64 3200+ s939), my mental functions may have been stunted by alcohol and a lack of sleep but I can't seem to find much information about it that doesn't come direct from Microsoft. Also, hearing about any disadvantages would be most welcome... cheers.

AFAIK theres no real benefit now unless your talking server software. No (or next to no) games, for windows, are compiled for 64bit, so you won't see a performance increase there either. IMO it's a waste to get 64bit windows, theres just no software right now.

Comment

Yeah, like a lack of drivers for all hardware, etc...

Also, like Sailor said, there really isn't a whole lot of software support....yet.

Comment

Ah, thank you *so* much. I was literally on the brink of buying it, you've just saved me a lot of money.

Comment

Generally speaking, the only compatiblity issues are printer drivers which is odd since you wouldn't think there would be much difference. Other than that drivers seem to be a second priority at least with nvidia. Those with nforce4 chipsets have to use beta drivers unless there mobo makers have released some (ie. nvidia has their thumb up their ***).

As for the positives, Far Cry 64-bit looks amazing (although it could run on 32-bit hardware).

I have it dual booted with WinXP Pro. There is no way I would recommend using it has a lone OS.

Comment

Originally posted by bhz9294
            As for the positives, Far Cry 64-bit looks amazing (although it could run on 32-bit hardware).
            There is no 64-bit Far Cry. All that was released was additional content for the game that runs exactly the same in 32 bit mode... New maps etc.

Comment

64 bit windows XP is a sham. They used thier own version of the 64 bit instruction set, so they don't run properly on AMDs

Comment

Haha, remember the days of installing Win32s to run 32 bit programs in Windows 3.11

Comment

Re: [OT] Possibly a dumb question, regarding WinXP 64

Originally posted by SirYawnalot
                  I was wondering what kind of advantages I'd get upgrading from WinXP Home to the 64-bit edition
                  You cannot upgrade XP Home to XP 64-bit anyway. You must have XP Professional to do that.

Comment

I tried it. Other then the fact that most drivers are total **** or u have issues finding 'em. It is quite buggy. I remember I had to do something on MS's site and it told me that I needed IE 64-Bit to get it working. So I dropped Firefox and got IE64 (made sure tho choose 64, even tried 32 just in case) it still asked for IE64...was quit eannoying. I'm also sorta like a neat freak, and well, this makes 2 sets of program files. One is program files and the other program files 32 or something like that. On program files go the 64 bit applications (which were pretty much about 3 max) while on Program Files 32 goes the rest. Had issues playing videogames since performance went down instead of up or just staying the same, probably due to faulty drivers.

In short, XP64 is kinda like ME was to 98. No point in getting it, too damm buggy, just wait to to Longhorn and see what happens then.

Comment

Working...
                    X