Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you installed UT2004 on a fast and slow CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you installed UT2004 on a fast and slow CPU?

If so, does the computer with the fast CPU take as much time? Me, I noticed it didn't matter much between my old and new computer. It still takes a while to install UT2004.:bulb:

I install from a DVD image on a seperate hard to my WD Raptor, have a 3.2Ghz P4, it STILL takes forever.

Comment

you installing a 5.5 gig game. dont expect it to install as fast as doom 1

Comment

sadly that's just how the progression of hard drive technology has been for the past few years...they've gotten bigger...but not really any faster...certainly no where remotely close near the progress of video cards and processors

Comment

exactly. Hard drive performance (and its many interfaces) seems to be the unresolved bottleneck in PCs for 10+ years.
          Heck, the interface has been running off 33mhz busses since the VLB controller days. And SATA controllers are still on 33mhz PCI bus. I assume there are some higher end 66mhz PCI?PCIX out there, but even if there is it isnt standard. I here NCQ sata is a nice improvement finally, but I have no first hand experience.

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
            sadly that's just how the progression of hard drive technology has been for the past few years...they've gotten bigger...but not really any faster...certainly no where remotely close near the progress of video cards and processors

Ahem Raid ??

im still longing for my own raid system though. I almost got one as well

Comment

Originally posted by peterbi
              exactly. Hard drive performance (and its many interfaces) seems to be the unresolved bottleneck in PCs for 10+ years.
              Heck, the interface has been running off 33mhz busses since the VLB controller days. And SATA controllers are still on 33mhz PCI bus. I assume there are some higher end 66mhz PCI?PCIX out there, but even if there is it isnt standard. I here NCQ sata is a nice improvement finally, but I have no first hand experience.

Yea, hard drives will continue to be the bottle neck for a couple more years until solid state drives start getting bigger and cheaper (your thumb drive is an example of this )

Comment

ive got my dvd files just copied onto my hard drive and i install from there onto the same hard drive, its a WD raptor, so its a lot faster than installing directly from the dvd, takes long still, im using athlon 64 3000.

only thing i can see the cpu affecting as for installation speed is the uncompressing of the files from uz2 as it installs, a faster cpu will uncompress these files faster.

im sure if you could be bothered actually timing the installation to the nearest second, youd see that your new computer installs faster than the old, maybe not by a huge amount, but with the length of time ut2004 takes to install, you may not even notice if it installs even 1 minute quicker, as you just think its taking a long time, must be the same :P

Comment

2x WD 7200rpm 8mb cache sata drives in raid 0, having the image file on them and installing on them takes around 5 mins (and thats with the cd version)

cpu speed dosnt really matter... took a few mins more on my "old" wd 7200rpm 8mb cache ata drive that aint in raid with anything else..

Comment

I wouldn't mind using RAM instead. You can get up to 8GB now can't you? Just use the same sticks and call it ROM. UT2004 would fit with XP in 8GB of space no problem.

Comment

Not if you have any real content, my UT2004 folder is about 13.4 GB right now, won't fit on 8 GB of RAM.

Anyway what I want is 5 western digital raptor HDDs (73 GB version) in a RAID 5 setup, if any one fails I will not lose all of my data, and I would have about the same speed as 4 of them I think.
                      Then I would top it off with a another RAID setup with really large HDDs, so I would have over 1 TB, 2 TB maybe.

Hopefully I will be able to build my own PC soon with atleast the RAID 5, thing is they have come out with newer SATA stuff so I don't know what all to get, plus they just came out with dual core CPUs and 64 bit windows has hit, probably wait till next year to build one.

Then I have to figure out what graphics card I want.....
                      ....And wheather to get an SLI setup or not.....
                      This is the case I am thinking of getting.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163036
                      What are yalls thoughts on it?

Comment

Originally posted by tewicc
                        2x WD 7200rpm 8mb cache sata drives in raid 0, having the image file on them and installing on them takes around 5 mins (and thats with the cd version)

cpu speed dosnt really matter... took a few mins more on my "old" wd 7200rpm 8mb cache ata drive that aint in raid with anything else..
                        Are you saying adding another drive and putting in Raid 0 would speed up the process a lot?

Comment

XopePoquar:I wouldn't mind using RAM instead. You can get up to 8GB now can't you? Just use the same sticks and call it ROM. UT2004 would fit with XP in 8GB of space no problem.
                          Even though you can put up to 8 gigs of memory on your computer most os like Windows XP, 98, and Mellenium, and 2000 (home version) they can only detect only 2 and I think maybe 4 gigs of ram.

Comment

Working...
                          X