• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petition for AGP version of 7800 GTX

http://www.petitiononline.com/7800AGP/petition.html

This is kewl. Found this on the HardOCP forum. Sweet. :up:

I saw 731 signatures earlier.

A bunch of the very last ones are people that signed it multiple times.

Comment

Wow, 731 signatures. That will, like, totally pay for the cost of R&D for an AGP version. :bulb:

I can't believe that people exist who have $450 to blow on a mega-deluxe video card, but won't pay the $100 or so for a PCI-X motherboard.

Comment

That's patently stupid. Not only will the petition do nothing, but even if you got it, it would be wasted on an 8X bus.

Comment

Originally posted by placebo
          That's patently stupid. Not only will the petition do nothing, but even if you got it, it would be wasted on an 8X bus.
          And you can prove the 7800 even comes close to reaching the 2GB/sec AGP 8x offers... even if nvidia insists that they can in fact make a performance equal AGP counterpart.
          Originally posted by Logy
          Wow, 731 signatures. That will, like, totally pay for the cost of R&D for an AGP version. :bulb:

I can't believe that people exist who have $450 to blow on a mega-deluxe video card, but won't pay the $100 or so for a PCI-X motherboard.
          Half of me agrees with your logic on spending $600 on a videocard but not an extra $100 on a mobo. On the other hand, it doesn't take much R&D to slap a bridge on the card. I think there is a market for an AGP version of the card simply because there are many people who don't want to upgrade their mobo, CPU and possibly even RAM in certain cases.

Comment

nVIDIA will produce an AGP version if there is adequate demand.

It's probably likely since their archrival ATi plans to fully excercise their own bridge chip on their next generation.

Comment

nVidia's partners are free to use their HSI bridge on the 7800GTX... it's just a question of who (if anyone) will.

Comment

Actually, I'm not the one who started the petition.
                The only reason I'm convinced it wouldn't work in the case of the 7800 GTX is simply because it's so expensive, most people who buy it are going to be people who have enough money to upgrade the rest.

I do believe if they came out with a medium priced geforce 8, the situation would be totally different. If they wouldn't come out with AGP for certain geforce 8 cards, there would be a hellfire response from consumers. I wouldn't doubt that even if those cards are 1 year away.

Comment

I'm sure there will not be an AGP version. Nvidia is quite possibly going to be trying to 'phase out' the older AGP standard, by forcing users to upgrade to PCI-X if they want the latest and the greatest.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If Nvidia waited for every consumer to make up there mind to buy a new motherboard, they would still be producing an AGP version of their cards in 2015.

Comment

Online petitions work and will definately convince Nvidia to implement an AGP version :up:

(Oh for the days of sarcasm tags)

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
                      i've not done the nessicery research.
                      You haven't done the spell checking. :up:

Comment

PCI-E, damnit, PCI-E!!!

PCI-X is something completely different, used almost exclusively for SCSI controllers and Gigabit Ethernet...

I'm pretty sure nVidia will release an AGP version... Far too many people still use AGP motherboards for them to phase out the format so soon...

Comment

I think they will probably make another 7xxx card AGP- not necessarily the 7800GTX. I actually am disapointed in nvidias decision to not make AGP version (yet) considering many athlon64 939 boards are AGP and those same boards will support latest X2 Cpus with bios upgrade. So theres people on the cutting edge still running AGP.

Comment

From this point on I think cutting edge will always mean two of the top-calibur card; with the introduction of Crossfire it will be even truer.

Nonetheless, the 7800GTX is not hindered by the AGP bus at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bemymonkey
                              PCI-E, damnit, PCI-E!!!
                              Good point. I absolutely hate this whole new "leave the 'E' off of words that start with 'EX'" fad. At least now it's causing confusion, it'll have to die down.

Oh, and, screw AGP. PCI-E motherboards don't cost an extra $100, they cost $100. Heck, you can get an Nforce4 motherboard for like $70. Good god, complaining about not being able to buy something so expensive when the upgrade you'd have to make is so insignificant in comparison is ludicrous!

I think Nvidia should walk up to everyone who signed the petition and slap them, and then say "No."

Comment

Working...
                              X