About the cache...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the cache...

Hi all. I have a question about the caching in UT2004.

I know that when you download files from Internet games, it goes into your cache folder. I use an uncaching program to put them in the right folders (I've checked to make sure it does). However, it seems that models/skins and mutators do not appear in the Player setup or game setup pages when creating a game.

Is there a reason why this is so? Stuff like Bunny Foo Foo (I've heard of it, but never used it), or some Othelia skins just don't appear in the setup pages.

Thanks for any help!

Re: About the cache...

Originally posted by KentaroKaos
    Hi all. I have a question about the caching in UT2004.

I know that when you download files from Internet games, it goes into your cache folder. I use an uncaching program to put them in the right folders (I've checked to make sure it does). However, it seems that models/skins and mutators do not appear in the Player setup or game setup pages when creating a game.

Is there a reason why this is so? Stuff like Bunny Foo Foo (I've heard of it, but never used it), or some Othelia skins just don't appear in the setup pages.

Thanks for any help!
    probably some of the system files are not being pushed, like the .ucl of the player skins/models.
    I assume these aren't needed to just connect to a server using them.

I suggest downloading the muts or skins you want from a site.
    Also, this way you are more likely to find the latest version for your own local use.
    (some servers use old versions of stuff)

You'll still need the specific version from the server in order to play there, but you could just leave those in your cache folder, out of your way.

Comment

This may come in handy

Comment

Originally posted by Scam
        This may come in handy
        Originally posted by KentaroKaos
        I use an uncaching program to put them in the right folders

Comment

Re: Re: About the cache...

Originally posted by Plumb_Drumb
          probably some of the system files are not being pushed, like the .ucl of the player skins/models.
          I assume these aren't needed to just connect to a server using them.

I suggest downloading the muts or skins you want from a site.
          Also, this way you are more likely to find the latest version for your own local use.
          (some servers use old versions of stuff)

You'll still need the specific version from the server in order to play there, but you could just leave those in your cache folder, out of your way.
          Good advice. Thanks. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Scam
            This may come in handy
            Thanks, but as Plumb_Drumb already pointed out, I have a program like that already.

HOWEVER, I don't know which one is the best, so I'll give this a try.

Comment

The cache extractor probably extracts only the files that get pushed, which doesn't include INT and UCL files. These files contain descriptions of the mod that allow the game to figure out how and where to use it. It is possible to make these files yourself, but it would probably be easier to just download the complete versions of the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
                The cache extractor probably extracts only the files that get pushed, which doesn't include INT and UCL files. These files contain descriptions of the mod that allow the game to figure out how and where to use it. It is possible to make these files yourself, but it would probably be easier to just download the complete versions of the mods.
                Ah, now that makes perfect sense! Yeah, I don't remember seeing any .int or .ucl files being moved.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
                X