OT: What would be a good firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtydog
    You just implied that Deep Freeze was a solution to the question 'what would be a good firewall'. It isn't a firewall so why post it?
    No I didn't, you assume I did, I gave a router with no unnecessary ports opened as a solution for inbound protection, and I was giving an alternate solution to having a plethora of software running that needs to be updated, and costing $ for continuous updates, bogging the system down etc.. that, given a bit of discipline, could be a good alternate solution.

Some of us run our machines 24/7/365, we don't want to reboot just before we use our online banking or whatever
    Some of us doesn't define our e-***** girth/length by our uptime, I couldnt care less how long my system has been running, it's absolutely meaningless to me on a desktop system, for a fileserver/other server I wouldn't run windows in the first place.

As for anti-executable, how effective it is in practice I have no idea. In theory it should stop keyloggers, in practice I can think of ways around it which might neutralise it.
    If it's made by a human it can be broken by a human.

Hardware router, deep freeze and a bit of discipline (Online virus scan before permanent installs) can save you a lot of time and hassle and save you $ on virus definition update plans, no need to run antispyware programs, no need for the 6 month reinstall to keep windows running lean, you could use ghost and install a new image, but you can't update the image on the fly so you'd be back to square one after that, no need to worry about using msie and getting the latest driveby spyware if you absolutely have to use it (ActiveX apps for example, ugh) no need to defrag, no need to worry about people messing up your system, it's also super for those trial programs that times out hehe

I'm sounding like a freakin commercial now meh, there is ShadowUser for a DF solution, and Process Guard that works the same as anti-exe, bit more expensive though.

I don't really want to get into a lengthy e-***** security debate here, try it or don't it's only a suggestion.

Comment

Some of us doesn't define our e-***** girth/length by our uptime
      Huh? Nor do I.

I couldnt care less how long my system has been running, it's absolutely meaningless to me on a desktop system
      Bully for you.

I don't really want to get into a lengthy e-***** security debate
      Nor do I.. I didn't say I run 24/7 in some misguided effort to impress you if that's what you inferred?

You said a system would be safe to use with Deep Freeze cos all you'd have to do was reboot just before using sensitive passwords. Well call me weird but that's a bit of a pain in the **** isn't it? That's why I said that some of us - eg. who run p2p software or even who just don't want to p1ss about rebooting - run 24/7.

Comment

I also run 24/7.. I use several important apps and keep my work open so I can pick up where I left off quickly.. P2P 50% of the time, chat convos, email.. having all of this closed just for one task would be obnoxiously useless and annoying. Only time I ever restart is when it's required by an update installation or something.

Comment

Working...
        X